Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: which type of sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I have gotten a lot of amusement, usually jokes at my expense (literally) from a company in the southern states. I found an ad from them a couple days ago on ebay for a pair of front A -arms supposedly from a 911 and advertised as an upgrade for a 914. The funny part was that both of the pair were from the same side of the car and on had the bracket for the 914 link and the other was indeed from a 911. So you would get two from the same side and a choice of suspensions. I found that amusing in my warped way. lol2.gif
I don't know how to insert links, but here is a photo.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-914-6-...c9f&vxp=mtr

Then it occurred to me that I have the same choice available for my 914-6 project, but I have two complete sets. I have a 911 set with 911 sway bar and I have a 914 set with 914 sway bar. It is going to be a street car. My guess is that the stock through trunk placement is more fitted to the car, but thought it worth asking.
rhodyguy
wonderful ad…simply wonderful. ripper, go slap lionel. slap.gif
toolguy
2nd issue is for the older style A frame. . Is it 914-6 or 914-4 ??
because Six and Four torsion bars have different spline patterns and are not interchangeable. . got to wonder about all that 914 expertise and the description of their ads sometimes. .
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 30 2013, 12:15 PM) *
My guess is that the stock through trunk placement is more fitted to the car, but thought it worth asking.

Yes, the through-body style is preferred. Better geometry, easier to replace bushings, can be made adjustable pretty easily, etc. The under-body type is cheaper to make, which is the primary reason the factory changed over IMHO.

--DD
bdstone914
You have every right to get your money back.
It was not a set as described. I hope you leave appropriate feedback. These guys should know better.
Also notice that it is missing one rear bearing bracket.
Even if there were a matched set you will need torsion bars and torsion bar adjusters to make it all work.
Dave is right that the through body bar has advantages. Does require cutting the body and more work to install.

The under body sway bar is a simple bolt on setup. If you are interested in going that route I have a couple of sets. PM for details.

Bruce
Eric_Shea
Classic AA. dry.gif
Ferg
Somebody's not going to like the "AA restocking fee" when they figure it out. sad.gif
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 30 2013, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Dec 30 2013, 12:15 PM) *
My guess is that the stock through trunk placement is more fitted to the car, but thought it worth asking.

Yes, the through-body style is preferred. Better geometry, easier to replace bushings, can be made adjustable pretty easily, etc. The under-body type is cheaper to make, which is the primary reason the factory changed over IMHO.

--DD

Well to clarify: i didnt buy it and i did find the ad amusing. Still i have a choice to make soon. 911 or 914 A-arms?
I have both, and i will use the 911 struts for the brakes. But when it comes to the A-arms i am choosing torsion bars and the sway bar. I am quite capable of swapping drop link brackets with a little welding.
It is nice that i found an amusing ad from aa, but throw me a line and help me out here: the ad inspired the real question.
r_towle
911 has more choices for torsion bars.
You can always add the weld on tab for the through body sway bar.
If it's a street car, you will find a setting and never adjust your front bar again....

That makes an adjustable front bar not really that worthy.

I would use the 911 stuff you have to get the better choice of torsion bars, then get some koni adjustable struts for the front to allow you to tune the front a bit more.
The underbody bar works fine...
rhodyguy
huh…i found a receipt i a car today from 7/16/93. dry.gif a 'Wheel Center Crest' that cost $8. unsure.gif the bill came to $15.50. blink.gif FREIGHT was $7.50! wacko.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 30 2013, 11:55 PM) *

911 or 914 A-arms?

I put 911 A-arms on both of my 914's with the underbody swaybar. The one thing with the 911 arms is the swaybar is a bolt-on item. No fuel tank removal, no cutting, no welding. You are stuck with the stock swaybars but both of my 914's handled very well after adding the bars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.