Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cut a new Master Key from a Valet Key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bulldog9
Sorry if I have asked this before, or if this has been asked recently (my mind is a sieve) but is it possible to cut a new master key if all you have is a valet? I have the opportunity to buy a matching ignition switch, with matching door locks and glovebox with a new master and valet key, but dont want to spend the $$ unnecessarily.

I was looking over and comparing the master and valet keys in this set, and it looks as though the cut on the keys is identical, but the actual grooves/channels are different. Seems to me I should be able to just take my master key to the hardware store and have it cut to match?

The fellow is holding on to the set for me so a bit of haste in getting an answer.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. The cut is the same. The valet key has an extra groove that only operates the drivers door and ignition which has a matching protrusion for the extra groove. I believe the lock insert is also the only difference between the drivers and passenger door handle. Even though they are marked L & R, physically the handles are the same.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Dec 30 2013, 01:10 PM) *

Yes. The cut is the same. The valet key has an extra groove that only operates the drivers door and ignition which has a matching protrusion for the extra groove. I believe the lock insert is also the only difference between the drivers and passenger door handle. Even though they are marked L & R, physically the handles are the same.

Not true. They're NOT the same. The trailing edge profiles are different. It's pretty obvious when you look at them side by side.

The Cap'n
Rockaria

I have done it on every 914 I have owned. It works perfectly. The cut key works in all locks including the front hood, Glove box and trunk.

What is up with people losing the black key and only having the red one?
r_towle
What is the point of the valet key if it opens everything anyways?
tweet
Cutting a master from a valet, or vice-versa can be readily done. However, take it to an actual locksmith. The only trouble you may run into, is if the key you are using to make a duplicate of, is excessively worn. This is where a good locksmith comes in handy. He can make adjustments by hand to make your duplicate operate properly in all of your locks.
David_S
I have the key blanks for when I get ready to rekey my locks. Which one is the master and which one is the valet ?? Also, if I have a wore out key already, is there any way that I can have a new key made from the tumbler combinations so that I am not copying a wore out key ?? I would like to start fresh with new keys and new tumblers and not new tumblers and a new key copied from a worn out key.
tweet
Master has two grooves (channels) and the valet has three. If you are going to replace tumblers, your existing key should still work, with the new tumblers. Replace the tumblers first, before cutting a new key. That way you will have the lock ready to test, your new duplicate on. If you take a lock with you to the locksmith, you can verify the key's operation, while you are still there.
r_towle
But,
What is the valet key supposed to do and limit access to?
tweet
The master will start your car, unlock the doors, and allow you access to the glove box, front and rear trunks. The valet only operates the ignition and door handles. So let's say you drop your car off at a garage. You can keep snoopers out of areas you don't want anyone accessing. It keeps your personal items locked away from potential sticky fingers too.
tweet
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 30 2013, 11:52 PM) *

What is the point of the valet key if it opens everything anyways?

A valet key should not operate all of your locks. If you can open the restricted areas of the car with a valet, then you may not have a valet, it nay be a master. Or, you have missing valet tumblers or worn down tumblers. I am currently rekeying a handle that can be opened by the wrong key. It has a completely different cut, and it opens one of the handles. The tumblers are too worn, and need to be replaced.
r_towle
QUOTE(Rockaria @ Dec 30 2013, 11:48 PM) *

I have done it on every 914 I have owned. It works perfectly. The cut key works in all locks including the front hood, Glove box and trunk.

So this must be the master key he is talking about??

What is the difference inside the tumblers that allow access to the front and rear trunks and glovebox?

Not that I will ever let a valet touch my car, but I did in NYC once....it's the only way sometimes.

Love to see the details of the tumblers or lockset to make sure I use the correct ones in the correct places. currently I have a special key that only fits the front trunk...so that works for me.
tweet
The front and rear trunk and glove box, have special valet tumblers. The valet has the extra groove on the key's pathway. The valet tumblers do not permit that profile to turn the cylinder, so it won't open.
Rockaria
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 30 2013, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Rockaria @ Dec 30 2013, 11:48 PM) *

So this must be the master key he is talking about??

Yes, I have a red key that came with the car. It will not lock or unlock the glove box and a few other things. I buy a black key blank and have my locksmith cut a new black master key using the red valet key as a guide. (My locksmith actually uses a machine to do it like one at a Hardware store. It takes just a few moments to cut.)

The new black master now works perfectly in all locks.
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(David_S @ Dec 30 2013, 10:59 PM) *

I have the key blanks for when I get ready to rekey my locks. Which one is the master and which one is the valet ?? Also, if I have a wore out key already, is there any way that I can have a new key made from the tumbler combinations so that I am not copying a wore out key ?? I would like to start fresh with new keys and new tumblers and not new tumblers and a new key copied from a worn out key.

I took my only "master" key to a good locksmith and tried to have it copied. This master was actually a worn out copy itself and it was slightly off... the fresh key it produced would bind up in the locks. So I carefully disassembled one of the lock cylinders and read the wafers (there should be a single number stamped into each wafer... 1, 2, 3, etc.) With that, my locksmith was able to cut a proper key. Worked beautifully in every lock. After we confirmed that the key was right, he cross referenced the cuts and gave me the factory key code as well.
ClayPerrine
The locksmith I had rekey the locks on both cars made a suggestion that I found really smart.

He made a key by reading the wafers on the locks, and then he cut me a key that had only one side cut.

He says this insures that they always have a unworn master to use to cut keys, so the new key always works correctly.

And I never did like the master/valet key concept. I have a red key that works everything on my car, and a black key that works everything on Betty's car. That way we know which key goes to which car.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.