Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru Engine, Trans, ECU, Wiring Harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RazorbackFan78
Hey guys I may have just had a sweet deal drop into my lap for a subaru 2.5 engine and trans (local wreck). Might also have the opportunity to grab some other parts off of it. Looking through the Suby build threads, it looks like most everyone grabs the ECU, Wiring Harness, and instrument cluster.

What other goodies would you recommend I grab? I wouldn't be doing the swap right away but I'd love to get as much as I can now when it's all coming out of the same car.

Appreciate the feedback
76-914
What year is it? The license plate lights are very close to the OEM size. Steering wheel airbag has EBay value. Get the starter as well as the slave cylinder for the tranny. Get the O2 sensors. All 3. Motor and trans mounts. Fuel pump. I'll keep thinking and add any others I forgot when I get back to CA.
Mike Bellis
If it is 2000 or newer, grab the steering column. It may have an immobilizer and chipped key.

Or do what I did and grab the whole car and strip it, I then called a junk yard and the took the hulk away for free.
d914
Radiator mounts, extra hardware ,
904svo
don't forget the fuel pump/sender and fuel pump regulator
boxstr
Grab the whole car and cover it and wait for the right time and you will have everything ready to go.
Craig at CAMP
Jon H.
Get the vin, just in case you need some parts for the engine, ecu, etc. that are different between vin ranges. Although their for my westy conversion, the links below have good info.
Get the vin
What to get

Regards,

Jon
Chris H.
Agree 100%, just a few more to add to the pile...if it's drive-by-wire make sure you get the gas pedal assembly. If you ever want to run AC make sure you get all the components for that. And then anything you see in the car that you might want to adapt to yours...interior lights, mirrors, hvac system, stereo, etc. Get it now and if you don't use it you can always sell it or chuck it later. Small stuff attached to the wiring harness should be taken if possible like cruise control brains, etc., they are worth $.

Keep us posted! Can you tell us what year?
CptTripps
When grabbing the fuel pump...make sure to grab the silver box in the trunk behind the fuel door. It's hidden...and important! (About the size of a pack of smokes.)
RazorbackFan78
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I wonder what my wife would do if she came home one day and there was an entire subaru covered up in the back yard next to the pool. I know what I'd say...."Hey, that's less grass I have to mow this summer"

Anyway, So he called me back with some good news/bad news. The BAD: he just finished putting the motor into a family member's car because no one ever made him an offer. Says he had it on Craigslist for a few weeks, a few calls but no offers. Says he was asking $850 for the engine & trans together. It came out of a 99 Forrester SOHC 2.5. The GOOD: He's a subaru nut with his own shop and says he comes across a lot of donors. So he's keeping an eye out for another SOHC 2.5 for me:)

What do you guys think about his price and the higher mileage? Probably would've been good for another 100k I'd think.

Hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year! drunk.gif
Mike Bellis
You should be able to get the whole car for that price. If your'e lucky. I picked up my donor car for under $1k.

Get the whole car so you have plenty of time to pull parts.
Jon H.
I got an SVX 3.3l six, wiring harness, and all the other necessary parts for $375 from the local pick and pull. Motor had 160,000 on it but the owner worked there and gave me the low down on the car. It was just put in the yard that day. I lucked out.

Jon
RazorbackFan78
Great feedback on the pricing guys...and wouldn't ya know it, as one door closed, another one opened. Today I found a 2001 Forester S with 137k. Test drove it this evening. Seemed to run well. Seller says it does have a slight manifold leak, external, oh and I could hear a slightly noisy pulley or belt during spirited acceleration. Asking price is $1100. I offered him a little less but he said he's firm on the price but would throw in a set of heads and cams he had planned on using for another 2.5 rebuild if I'm still interested.

The car is complete and interior is in decent shape so I could probably recoup some $$$ parting it out and then scrapping it.

Anyways, it's late. Gonna sleep on it tonight and see what tomorrow brings smile.gif
Jon H.
That seems like a fair price, and then you won't have to worry if you got all the parts!

Jon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.