Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F***ing UPS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Red Beard......shipped me my bad boy rebuild trans. He did a shrink wrap and even went the extra mile to have MBE aka Mail Boxes ETC, who is NOW a UPS agent to do the final pack. They used a single panel box and styro kernels.

It showed uop on time but had a dent in one side. I opened and took pics.....remember "I" was the subject of "HOW NOT TO SHIP" thread.....pulled it out and it looked fine.

Took it up to my "914 garage" and then noticed that the trans rear mount was broken off....FUCK......asshole apes broke it AGAIN.......

On my original claim.....6 weeks ago....I am STILL fighting those douche bags......made the mistake of ONLY claiming 300 insurance......

MORAL OF THIS STORY.......take pics, BEFORE and AFTER....or avoid these jerk offs completely....

When I was dealing with Crawford the Insurance Agents for UPS...they said that styro kerenels for a 70+ lbs product was inadequate.....

FUCK UPS
Joe Bob
Pic
Aaron Cox
that sucks mike....
seems like it needs to be shipped via a pallet IPB Image

F*** em! IPB Image
Joe Bob
Joe Bob
Joe Bob
Joe Bob
As far as I am concerned.....James did a good job.....jerk offs at UPS need to be hung..... IPB Image
machina
is it just the ear? Isn't that part easy to replace?

I think it needs a little crate, but then it would have to go freight.
URY914
JB Weld.
Katmanken
MIKE....

PUT THE GUN DOWN......

STEP AWAY FROM THE DRIVER..........

Sorry for the crap you are going through....

Ken
morph
we have shipped alot of trannys.in a nut shell it wasnt adequately packaged,at all who ever packaged it is totally responsable.
james
appearance & performance
we build a box out of 7/16 osb costs alittle over 56.00 to ship ups .
machina
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 31 2004, 07:33 PM)
JB Weld.

or maybe you could learn to weld magnesium IPB Image

think I could see the smoke from the mag fire from my house?
Katmanken
Had mine welded so it can be done.

Ken
DuckRyder
That will buff right out...

FWIW I've found Fed Ex Ground or Home is cheaper, faster, and more reliable.
Brett W
With all do respect. You don't ship a 75lb+ transmission in a single wall box filled with Peanuts. You go an get some 1/8 in plywood and build container. Then put a box around it if you insist on shipping something like that UPS. Why not just put it on a pallet and send it by truck. Probably wouldn't have cost much more (if any) than UPS.
Jake Raby
I STRICTLY SHIP FED EX!

UPS busted the ear off of my 901 two years ago. I stopped paying my bill till they settled the claim. I got the full value for it after a lot of BS.

Fuck UPS....The only thing worse is the US Mail!
vortrex
I had a piece of vintage furniture shipped UPS in a 1/8" plywood box. when I got it you could tell it was obviously dropped on one corner from some height. totally smashed in and the furniture was ruined. UPS came out and took pics. they would not give any insurance money on it because of NON PROPER PACKING. the thing was crated, boxed, padded, etc.
TheCabinetmaker
1/8" pylwood? You built shipping crates from 1/8" plywood, and expected them to survive? What kinda crack ya smoking?

Happy new Year! IPB Image
Gint
BALLS!

Sorry Mikey. Let me know if you have that welded.
Alison Baker
I don't think that language is called for on here....you can star out letters.
Joe Bob
Sorry Alison, in this case.....the foul language is warrented. These morons screwed me twice, coming and going. If James can get his claim cleared before I do...I will fly to Houston, buy him a beer and kiss his butt.....

There is NO excuse after HE took the box to MBE to pack it and STILL hosed the shipment.....UPS can IPB Image

MBE packed the shipment just like I did....with one less box and "I" was told that MY packaging was sub standard....the insurance they offer is a scam....
GWN7
Small claims court. Win and seize one of their airplanes to satisify the judgement. Don't be mad, think get even. IPB Image

IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Since the MBE was a UPS agent won't the fact that they did the final packing help your case? If not then what's the point of going through them being and agent.

My own personal view is that I would never ship anything that bulky and heavy in a cardboard box no matter how many peanuts you put around it. One quick turn in that truck and the unsecured box tumbles and lands the wrong way and that's what happens. Of course the box shouldnt get dropped or fall in the first place but I think it's inevitable when you are moving millions of packages a day.

That said, it still sucks and I'd be pissed too! IPB Image

Sean
vortrex
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Dec 31 2004, 05:54 PM)
1/8" pylwood? You built shipping crates from 1/8" plywood, and expected them to survive? What kinda crack ya smoking?

Happy new Year! IPB Image

ok, not a "crate" per say, but a WOOD box as an outer shield to the already boxed and padded well package. short of dropping this off the loading dock on end there is nothing that would have damaged it.
pete-stevers
colorful adjectives are sometimes a nessary part of vocabulary in order to describe the pain, frustration, and anger when a fuck up takes place......
hope you can rectify with ups, did you have insurance???
Ups screwed up a laptop of mine in years gone by...but replaced the thing completely with little or no hassle...
good luck
steve
DuckRyder
I once got a BMW muffler with truck tracks across it. They refused to pay the supplier stating it was improperly packed (like it would have made a difference?)
Brett W
When I shipped my cylinder head to Texas, I bolted it to a piece of 1/2 in particle board. Then used 3 inch closed cell foam all around it Then I put another piece on top of the head. Surrounded all of it with news papers. Then took the box double lined the top and bottom and triple lined the sides. Then I put all of it together and wrapped the box with duct tape, then packing tape. I dona't care if UPS threw it out of their airplane that bow would have survived and my stuff would have arrived intact.

When I shipped Brant some door panels, I actually custom made a box out of the same cardboard that we pack 100lb bath tubs with. Over kill, Yes. But the items arrived unhurt. I will take the time to pack something right.
J P Stein
I look at shipping as a challenge. I know that all shippers are gonna do their level best to bust up my stuff.*My job* is to keep them from doing it.

I shipped a 911 crank & rods (assembled) to a guy some time back. Screwed & glued 1/2 ply with internal bracing....and emailed instructions as to how to open it.

The fella liked the parts, but loved the box IPB Image

I've shipped bumpers, engine cases, P/Cs, wheels, wheels/ tires and a shitload of other stuff. Never had a problem.
cooltimes
Good point JP. You ship like you are sending it to yourself and it will survive.
Happy New Year and may all your 914 parts be happy ones too.
Red-Beard
I have a "spare" tail cover, so that will go out on Monday. Actually, MBE is now "THE UPS STORE", so there is no question who packed this thing.

My preference for shipping is Forward Air, strapped to a pallet, but the closest Terminal to SB is LAX. If I had crated the tranny, it would have weighed too much for UPS.

Fortunately, I insured the tranny for $3000. It had a brand new LSD, H gear, an aluminium intermediate plate and my labor to go through this unit and make it near perfect. If it were lost, it would take at least $3000 to make another one.

Yep, now I have to go through the trouble of filing a claim for this. No more UPS for me.

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Hmmmm, I see I got edited......
rhodyguy
pallet, pallet, pallet. it will be the last item on. if they have to drag it to get it out they won't stack a ton of stuff infront of it. 2 bodies to load something and you cut your chances of it being dropped by 50%. if this is the tranny to be included with the purple car, i can't imagine you didn't insure for replacement value. sorry for your inconvienence mike.

kevin
Joe Bob
We did....3K. But UPS makes it so difficult to get any money even if it was insured for 300...they screwed it going to Houston and coming back.....

That's why James went to the MBE/UPS store....we're still gonna get the runaround.
Red-Beard
We'll see what they do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.