Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another round of 73 1.7 questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I have spent all of last week tinkering with my 1.7 out of my 73. I got it stripped down to a long block and all cleaned up. I am now putting all of the tins and accessories back on. I am thinking, from what I have read in searches, that my thermostat is shot. Can these be rebuilt or do I need to try to find another one ??

Also, on my vacuum lines, I have also read several posts about the diagrams in Haynes and on Pelican, that the diagrams are incorrect for a 1.7. Also most of the 1.7 diagrams that I have found are for a 70-71. Which is the best diagram for a 73 ??

If everything goes ok, and I get my pieces from Pelican and 914rubber next week, I should hopefully be able to finally put this engine back in and get it running !! Any info is appreciated !!! David_S
Bob L.
Re: the thermostat...

They can be rebuilt. I doubt one could do it themselves at home. There is a company that does it, Awesome powder coat.They have an ad on TheSamba.com. They also have new mfg. ones. Just make sure you get the correct temp range. I believe it's 85-90c marked on one end. I have bought 2 used ones that looked good in pics but weren't, so beware.
Mike Bellis
If it's not here, it doesn't exist...

https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm
914_teener
The diagram on Jeff's site comes from Pelican.

I've been through this one.

It doesn't have the crankcase ventilation from the anti-flashback tee, and it doesn't have the decel valve diagram for the 1.7 in 73. The rest shown is correct. Both (the crankcase breather, and decel valve) are virtually identical to the 2.0 diagrams shown there.

There are also several threads here on the '73 1.7 with pictures. I wouldn't worry about it.

IMHO I believe you would be better off to buy a new thermostat......but IIRC there was someone here or another vendor who was fixing them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.