Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tightening front wheel bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
haynes, i get #11 in the procedure but how much "lightly tighten" is "lightly"? to the point of inducing a little drag? then back off on the clamping nut so the nose washer can just be moved. as in barely using any pressure to move the washer with a screwdriver? and to confirm, 11lbs of torque on the clamping nut screw? tia. happy new year!!! don't drink and drive!!!, and look out for those who do.
pcar916
It's a "feel" thing. I tighten mine until the washer is slightly moveable (with a little screwdriver effort) and drive the car. If needed I keep tightening it, a tiny bit at a time, until the vibration at highway speeds (60-70) goes away.

Mine has to be slightly tighter than a stock wheel because I'm running 225/50-16 wheels and spacers on the front. They're tighter... but not much. I used to inspect them every six months or so to make sure they weren't burning.

But since they never were I inspect/repack/replace once a year. On a strictly street car I wouldn't replace until I saw pitting or heat discoloration.

The thought of spinning a bearing on the spindle scares the crap out of me. I use only synthetic grease on bearings.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.