Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got it going on all 4 cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Now to drink beer. IPB Image and cellebrate.

Turns out it was several things. All spark related. New plug wires helped but weren't the whole answer. Tried several different plugs. All copper core but ranging from 7 to 5 heat range. It turns out regular old Bosch W5CC were best. Gap at .048 right now but I'm gonna try larger.

The thing is pig rich right now and plugs foul easily so, that will have to be taken care of. The problem is I suspect I puked the O2 sensor with all the raw fuel and dirty burn. Tuning may have to wait for a new sensor.

What a bitch but, I think I'm on the way now. Gotta get it tuned, dynoed and about 500 miles on it bfore WCC.

Dave
Bleyseng
Great!!! rich? I thought you had it halfassed tuned?

Geoff
DNHunt
It is halfassed tuned. It runs.

Dave
Jake Raby
Send me a screen shot of your values..
drgchapman
Way to hang in there Dave, this has been painful from this end. I can only imagine your pain on that end. Can't wait to hear how it all pans out. Gary
reverie
Dave, what a year this has been for you!

To finish the year this way must feel really good. IPB Image

Will you be attending the first PCA autocross on 3/19?
J P Stein
.048?......without killer plug wires?.....Magnecore,8.5 mm.
That must be a hell of a coil pack you have there.

I run .045 with an MSD6AL & one of their trick hot coils....& some of the above wires to keep the fire "in line".
DNHunt
Actually, JP it's not supposed to be that hot. I used to run .048 with the MSD 6A and MSD Blaster coil myself but, the plugs were W7CC so they were cooler. I started out with .028 with 6 heat range NKG plugs but that ran on 2 cylinders (kind of). Course the wires were old and the boots were pretty hard. I think some of the spark was grounding to the head. The guy who sold me new wires at the Ford place told me of a neat trick to check plug wires. Turn the lights out. Use a plastic spray bottle to squirt some mist along the wires. If they are bad it's a cool show.

Next time I fire it up I'm checking the static timing cause it feels retarded to me. Then I'll lean out the idle and see if I can get al little smoother idle. Oh ya, I gotta check the calibration of the O2 sensor. I may not be doing much if it's toast.

I'm off to do some more this morning. The electronics is all ripped to sh#t and patched together, so I gotta start putting it back right.

Dave
rhodyguy
screw those USED O2 sensors. step up to the plate big boy. shall i expect to here the car in my driveway on wed.?

kevin
J P Stein
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Jan 1 2005, 09:16 AM)
The guy who sold me new wires at the Ford place told me of a neat trick to check plug wires. Turn the lights out. Use a plastic spray bottle to squirt some mist along the wires. If they are bad it's a cool show.

Dave

Even a better way is to stick your haid down there & lick
em'. IPB Image

Jim Chambers old gray sixer was running on some at an AX one time. I started pulling wires on one side looking for the dead hole(s?). He watched for a bit then started on the other side........and went ..."uugghitaowow" & did a little dance. His heart didn't stop so I deadpanned "You could prolly use some new wires". I cracked myself up. IPB Image

The hot coil/MSD is so the spark can jump that big gap at high rpms and provide voltage for the multi spark below 3K. A "normal" coil won't cut the mustard at high rpms.
Bleyseng
Yep, I even did that to Blair when we were standing in the rain looking to fix a miss. "Find the bad plug wire" hehe Blair found one that was still quite good.
Geoff IPB Image
newdeal2
. Course the wires were old and the boots were pretty hard. I think some of the spark was grounding to the head.

Grounding to the head...?will that occur if the plastic insulators have a small chunk missing? A couple of my new Behr's did that. Wonder if it's part of my tuning issues?
Mueller
QUOTE (newdeal2 @ Jan 1 2005, 08:36 PM)
. Course the wires were old and the boots were pretty hard. I think some of the spark was grounding to the head.

Grounding to the head...?will that occur if the plastic insulators have a small chunk missing? A couple of my new Behr's did that. Wonder if it's part of my tuning issues?

"path of least resistance" applies very strongly with electrical issues...so yes, that could be a problem you have since it's easier for the spark to jump .25" in ambient air than .035" in a pressurized cylinder
newdeal2
I love this group! I learn so many things it's nice to be a part of this. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.