Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent connection Engman fuse panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Hey guys. I have done 1 shakedown drive on my GT.

There seems to be an intermittant connection on my fuse panel. My question, is there an recommended method to crimp the factory spayed connectors so that they are not loose and wobbly where they connect to the fuse panel?

Thanks.
904svo
Try using a pair of pliers to squeeze them.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 1 2014, 11:41 AM) *

Thanks. But is there anything better or more precise than simple pliers. Just askin ?
Steve
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jan 1 2014, 12:39 PM) *

Thanks. But is there anything better or more precise than simple pliers.

I would also disconnect the battery and spray all the connectors with an electrical cleaner. Most of the connectors are oxidized by now.
Bartlett 914
There a few fuses that have jumpers on the hot side. Engman used (at least on the one I got) some braided copper (solder wick) and had the plastic piece on the back side hold it in place. I felt it was a poor connection and I soldered mine. I also had a fuse that was making poor contact. Make sure the contact surface is clean. I could have some crap or coating on it. That is what was making mine intermittent. I think the fuse panel is a great upgrade in spite of the few initial problems I had. I really like the illuminated fuses that indicate when they are blown
mikesmith
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Jan 1 2014, 12:39 PM) *

Thanks. But is there anything better or more precise than simple pliers. Just askin ?

If you're just trying to get the push-fit connectors to bite harder, then no - use some flat-nosed pliers and just squeeze *gently* to tighten them up a bit. It takes a bit of practice to judge how much - too much and you won't be able to get them back together.

As you push them back on, they will cut a fresh groove into the spade, and usually that will greatly improve the connection.
Tom
What is intermittent? After I installed my J-west fuse panel, I kept losing power to the radio and horn. Traced it finally to one of the relays on the panel. Cleaned the relay sockets and slightly spread the relay prongs. No more problems.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.