Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making some more progress !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
Since I had the plate installed in my left forearm, and the Dr. told me on the 17th of Dec. to start doing a few things with that arm, i have stripped all of the wiring/tinwork off of my engine and cleaned it all up. It is slow progress, but at least it is progress !! I didnt get a pic of the engine tonight, but as of now it has the cooling fan and most of the tinwork back on it !! IF I get the pieces that I have ordered from the bird and 914rubber, then this thing may go back in this weekend, and may actuallu run next weekend !!!! piratenanner.gif
Before ......
Click to view attachment
After ........
Click to view attachment
Bob L.
I doubt installing an engine is what the Dr. was thinking when he said "a few things".

Looks nice.
Good luck! driving.gif
David_S
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Jan 2 2014, 12:05 AM) *

I doubt installing an engine is what the Dr. was thinking when he said "a few things".

Good luck! driving.gif

That is true !! I asked him what I could and could not do, and his words were "just dont over do anything. If the arm starts hurting, then stop." So far, everything has been good, and I have had my 11 year old with me doing the things that I cant do !!
arkitect
It's great to have a little helper. It also instils an interest in cars.

What did u use part wise... stock or larger pistons, carbs or fi, ect and more Picts r always nice.

Dave
wndsnd
Nice project! Looks good.

John
cary
I'm with John, Nice Work.

You didn't take the engine apart? Unbelievable ...........
Did you use a Magic Eraser .............. ??
CptTripps
That looks splendid. Very clean work!
Cairo94507
Wow what a difference. That is just unbelievable. Nice work - keep it going.
David_S
The engine was not taken apart other than the rocker arm covers and push rod tubes. We spent about 2 hours with some degreaser and a steam cleaner ... not just a hot water washer, but an actual steamer. It got the crud off and the case was discolored and stained so I shot it with DupliColor Aluminum engine paint. It has really turned out looking better than I was expecting it to !! This one didnt get torn apart because it is going in the project as a test mule until I get enough time and $$$$ to rebuild the 2.0 that is in my parts car. This one is just a 1.7.... and I have had it running after I stripped the car down !! If it lasts, fine ... If it doesnt, then that will be more reason to get the 2.0 built !!! Thanks for the compliments and more pics will follow ......
David_S
Engine as of last night !!! It now has all of the intake/injection system on it. Just need fuel lines, vacuum lines, and the front engine mount bar and it is ready to go in !!!!

rick 918-S
It's been too long David. Set your sights on the Route 66 event and getter done! Bring your young helper with.
David_S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 6 2014, 09:59 AM) *

It's been too long David. Set your sights on the Route 66 event and getter done! Bring your young helper with.

Thats the plan !!! When I started this project umpteen years ago, my daughter would spend time helping me tinker with it. I made a vow way back then that she could take it to her Senior prom. I got reminded by her about 2 weeks after I broke my arm that her Senior prom would be in May of this year !!! I have already moved my deadline from May to March, and may be bringing both of the helpers with me .... IF we can figure out how to safely carry all 3 of us in it !!!!
Bartlett 914
Wasn't that the engine they found buried with King Tut?
David_S
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 6 2014, 10:39 AM) *

Wasn't that the engine they found buried with King Tut?

After I got the accessories off of it, I kinda wondered the same thing !!!!
saigon71
Very clean engine & tranny - nice work! beerchug.gif

The finish line is now in sight and motivation becomes easier to find. smile.gif Your first drive is right around the corner.

Keep rollin!

David_S
I keep plugging away at this, and keep finding little speed bumps !! Luckily there havent been any road blocks yet !!!! I had my goal set of stabbing this a few days ago, but have been going through the 73 1.7L vacuum hose hell, but slowly figuring it out. Then, I found a broken motor mount, and should have a new mount and new throttle and speedo cables here on Friday !! HOPEFULLY ..... it will go back in this weekend and run if everything goes better !!! This pic was as of a couple of hours ago ....
wndsnd
clap56.gif

Nice work!

John
David_S
Engine is FINALLY stabbed back in the hole !! Now I get to sort through all of the wiring nightmare and hopefully fire it up tomorrow !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.