Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 bolt billlet hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
I know Mueller was involved in doing this, and Mark as well, but are they still available?

Also were they ever machined for the rear?

And curious how the rotor bolted (or was fitted) to the hubs.
McMark
If any are available, they're in Brad's hands. The rotor is a stock 911 piece and bolts on from the back with five M8 bolts. The real intent of the pieces was to install larger calipers and vented rotors on a four lug setup.

I thought you already had five lug? confused24.gif

The rear is always done by drilling the stock hubs.
Randal
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 2 2014, 07:52 PM) *

If any are available, they're in Brad's hands. The rotor is a stock 911 piece and bolts on from the back with five M8 bolts. The real intent of the pieces was to install larger calipers and vented rotors on a four lug setup.

I thought you already had five lug? confused24.gif

The rear is always done by drilling the stock hubs.

Right, probably the best way is to drill the fronts and sides of the hats to reduce weight. Or maybe someone has a CNC to machine them in aluminum, with bolt on rotors, or titanium?

Titanium would be super light, but probably big $$ I'm guessing.

I just wonder what a Titanium hub, with a titanium rotor would weigh?
McMark
So you're searching for reductions in unsprung weight? Was it Ferrari or Alfa Romeo who ran the rear calipers on the transmission... idea.gif
Matt Romanowski
Inboard brakes bring other problems. Notice that they never caught on.
Randal
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Jan 5 2014, 02:11 PM) *

Inboard brakes bring other problems. Notice that they never caught on.

What are the "other problems" they bring?
stownsen914
One thing that comes to mind is that all braking force (on the rear at least) would travel through the CVs and axles. Certainly an added stress on CVs. I guess brake cooling could be more challenging too with them mounted inboard.
eric9144
I have a couple sets of the 4 Lug Billet hats that Brad was making back in the day (not for sale)... If pictures help I can post some...
jd74914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jan 4 2014, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 2 2014, 07:52 PM) *

Right, probably the best way is to drill the fronts and sides of the hats to reduce weight. Or maybe someone has a CNC to machine them in aluminum, with bolt on rotors, or titanium?

Titanium would be super light, but probably big $$ I'm guessing.

I just wonder what a Titanium hub, with a titanium rotor would weigh?

A Ti hub would be heavier than it's aluminum counterpart. If I were making hubs I would probably use something like 2024 Al because of it's combination of elevated temperature strength and specific stiffness. You could then get an Al-SiC MMC (metal matrix composite) rotor. drooley.gif
jd74914
Eric,

Would you mind posting some pictures? smile.gif

General question for everyone...

What is the difference between 911 and 914 stuts (neglecting caliper bolt spacing differences)?

Is it wheel bearings? Or spindle dimensions? Or caliper mounting depth? I've never held the two in my hands to compare (or had a 911 apart to measure) and have always been curious.
914werke
smile.gif
eric9144
Rich is faster than me biggrin.gif
Michael N
4 lug adapters with the Brembo aluminum caliper upgrade. These brakes have excellent stopping power. I would do this upgrade in a heart beat again. Vented SC rotors and aluminum calipers that are the same size as the BMW 320 pads.

Click to view attachment

Randal
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Jan 6 2014, 04:08 PM) *

smile.gif

Man those must be as valuable as ceramic lifters.
ConeDodger
Randal if you get by Original Customs in the near future, there is a set of them on my car.

Not sure if he is interested in doing them but Mark Whitesell wanted to see them when he was in Sonoma recently...
McMark
Mike Muller probably still has the drawings.

But the only thing saved by running this setup (AFAIK) is that you don't have to buy 911 parts and/or you have an investment in nice struts in your four lug housing.

To answer the earlier question the 911 strut has a bigger spindle and therefore bigger bearings. The billet hubs are a replica of a stock 911 hub but designed to fit 914-4 bearings/spindle. If you have 911 struts already, this won't gain you anything I'm aware of.
eric9144
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 7 2014, 08:36 AM) *

But the only thing saved by running this setup (AFAIK) is that you don't have to buy 911 parts and/or you have an investment in nice struts in your four lug housing.

I got them to go with all the 911 type braking components but keep everything 4 lug just to mess with eveyone's heads shades.gif

...now I guess I should get to putting it all on... dry.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 7 2014, 11:36 AM) *

Mike Muller probably still has the drawings.

To answer the earlier question the 911 strut has a bigger spindle and therefore bigger bearings. The billet hubs are a replica of a stock 911 hub but designed to fit 914-4 bearings/spindle. If you have 911 struts already, this won't gain you anything I'm aware of.

Thanks Mark! It's interesting that the spindle length is the same and only the bearings are different.
jim_hoyland
I got my set from Brad. I believe markasap (screen name)made them and probably has the CNG file for machining. Mark has been on the board.
He's a local So Cal guy, lives up near Topanga Canyon
McMark
Unless Brad made another run, they were machined in San Rafael up here in NorCal. Across the street from SSI.

They were drawn/designed by Mike Mueller.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 7 2014, 08:05 PM) *

Unless Brad made another run, they were machined in San Rafael up here in NorCal. Across the street from SSI.

They were drawn/designed by Mike Mueller.

I stand corrected, it's been a long time. Reason I thought Mark made mine was because he was at the G & R swapmeet when Brad was promoting them-and Mark is a machinist

In any case, my 5 bolt billet hubs and vented rotors have been trouble free and a nice upgrade, along with the 911M calipers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.