Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What clutch and pressure plate should I get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
The engine came with a flywheel, but that's all. Assuming I'm only going to be doing a little spirited touring with the car, what should I be looking for? Do you think it's wise to go with used?
Krieger
I used a Kennedy Stage 2 pressure plate stock disc, and their slighly modified tob that goes with their modified 9" flywheel ring for 911 to 914 conversion. Works very well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 2 2014, 02:44 PM) *

I used a Kennedy Stage 2 pressure plate stock disc, and their slighly modified tob that goes with their modified 9" flywheel ring for 911 to 914 conversion. Works very well.

agree.gif
Kennedy Stage II is a good choice for a 3.0L and 3.2L.

For my 3.6L i upgraded from the Stage II to a Stage III after i had the clutch slipping on me a few times.
burnout.gif
brant
is it the stock 3.0 flywheel that fits to a 915 trans?
you may have to buy a flywheel that fits to a 914 trans if you intend to use the stock trans.....

brant
sixnotfour
Kennedy does it both ways, new flywheel and clutch or spacer and clutch.
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 2 2014, 03:10 PM) *
Kennedy does it both ways, new flywheel and clutch or spacer and clutch.

agree.gif

I'm using a lightened 3.6L flywheel with their adapter ring-gear that allows you to mate this straight to your 901.
smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 2 2014, 05:54 PM) *

is it the stock 3.0 flywheel that fits to a 915 trans?
you may have to buy a flywheel that fits to a 914 trans if you intend to use the stock trans.....

brant

You "might" have to get a bit taken off the OD of the flywheel. Mine would have just fit, but it has lots of meat in this area so I decided to lighten mine a bit. The 911 flywheel is made of some pretty hard shit.
If you do this you would need to balance the flywheel.
Jeffs9146
I have been using the Kennedy Stage II Pressure Plate and matching clutch on my 3.0L stock flywheel with a 914 Trans and the conversion ring gear bolted to the flywheel!It has been almost 2 years and all is good! Nothing more is needed!
PanelBilly
I wasn't even thinking about the flywheel not matching the 901.
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 2 2014, 03:53 PM) *

It will match if you get the ring gear conversion from Kennedy!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 2 2014, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 2 2014, 03:53 PM) *

It will match if you get the ring gear conversion from Kennedy!

I made my own smile.gif
mrbubblehead
you guys that are using the stage 2 and stage 3 pressure plates, are you using the stock clutch pedal and cable? is the stock cable and clutch arm strong enuff? hows the foot pressure needed for the stage 3?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jan 2 2014, 05:17 PM) *

you guys that are using the stage 2 and stage 3 pressure plates, are you using the stock clutch pedal and cable? is the stock cable and clutch arm strong enuff? hows the foot pressure needed for the stage 3?

My Stage 2 feels stock and uses a stock 914-6 cable!
gms
I used this Kennedy Stage 2 on my 3L with a 901 trans
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 2 2014, 06:11 PM) *
My Stage 2 feels stock and uses a stock 914-6 cable!

agree.gif
Same for my Stage III, it feels just a tad bit heavier than a stock clutch, but not by much.

I also use the thicker /6 cable.
smile.gif
Krieger
The stage 2 clutch feels pretty light to me. I use a 914/6 cable also. I think it is just a heavier gauge cable. I had a machinist trim off the outer 1/2" or so of the 911 flywheel to lighten it. I had him also drill out and lighten Kennedy's adapter ring gear. Bolted them up and sent off to be balanced.
mrbubblehead
this is great information. so the difference between the -4 and -6 clutch cable is its thicker? so it uses the same ends and fits inside the steel tube inside the car just fine? no modifications?

and kennedy supplies everything to mate a 3.6 liter engine to a 901 gearbox? do i have to send them a core 3.6 flywheel for modification? what is the process?
brant
not heavier
Luke M
My brother got a Kennedy flywheel, pp, & disc for his 83 3.0 to 901 trans.
This was a slightly used kit that he bought ( the p/o went from a 911 3.0 to a V8 ).
It's a modified VW bus flywheel with a 228 mm disc/pp.
The disc has a 2000 lbs label on it so I'm not sure which stage it is.
I also looked at what PMS sells but liked this over the PMS kit.
The kit that PMS sells consists of a 911 flywheel, a ring adapter, disc (of your choice), and pp/hardware.

I even called Kennedy and spoke with a sales person there about their kits.
They make kits to order/fit your needs. I was told it's a 4-6 week time frame for them to make up a kit.
patssle
Great thread for info. Sorry for bumping it but are you guys using the 228mm flywheel (when buying new with the ring gear already on it)? And 4 springs for the disc - is that good enough? I'm going with a 3.0L for street use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.