Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternators and Starter Motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crawf
I'm ultimately looking to do a 4 to 6 upgrade, on my '75 2.0, bearing this in mind I'm looking at the best way of sorting the below.

Currently I'm having issues with my starter motor and alternator that require them being reconditioned, replaced or upgraded. I think I'm right in saying that a useful upgrade is to replace the existing starter with a 911 unit - does anyone know the part number for this unit? Is it also possible to upgrade the alternator in anyway to a 911 unit or is it not compatible with a type 4.

Thanks

Crawf
Dave_Darling
If you're going for anything less than a 3.0 Six motor, then you can get an early 911 starter (something that fits the 69 911 should work fine) and it should bolt up to either application. I think you'll be OK with anything that fits into a 901 gearbox, come to think of it, as the "converter" flywheels are made for the 901. If you go to a 915 gearbox then you may need a different starter; I'm not really sure.

There are gear-reduction starters that are more powerful and lighter, but more expensive. If you get one for a 914, it should work fine with any setup using the 901 gearbox.

The alternators are not compatible.

--DD
Brad Roberts
Any 911 starter from 1974 until 1987 will work. The distance from the bellhousing to the ring gear never changed from the first 911 up until the 87 (could have gone farther, but that is all I recall)

I personally use a Bosch starter from a 80 SC. It will turn over everything (even V8 Chevy engines for about 6 months)

A Bosch SR17x is the 4cyl and the SR68X is the 911 from 74-87.

B
campbellcj
On my old 911 and my current 914, I went to the SR68X ("Carrera") starter with an Optima red-top batttery. Cleaned up / replaced all the ground points and the main + cable(s).

Wow, night and day difference. The mild hot-start problems completely disappeared. Now the car cranks like a banshee and fires immediately. Dash lights and headlights are nice and bright too -- good grounds and a fresh optima make a big difference.
Crawf
911 starter motor it is then, I've spoken to my local generic auto store and they don't recognise SR68X - they said the bosch part code would be about 10 digits. I'll phone one of the 911 independent places and see what I can come up with. The alternator will go in to be reconditioned. smash.gif

Campbell CJ - I have just got an Optima orange top and a battery cut off switch to deal with starting and to handle my immobiliser when the car is parked in the garage.

Cheers for the info beerchug.gif

Crawf
tryan
i would send your old ones out for a rebuild if possible. there is a vw-porche cross reference floating around the web. i would see is there are any 225 flywheels/12 volt in the vw parts bin. mucho cheaper.

try john walker from the pp board. he seems to know everything.
Brad Roberts
The bus 228mm flywheel bolts right on and uses a larger pressure plate and disc, but what does he gain by doing this ?? The VW BUS,Type 3 automatic and VW bug autostick all used the same starter as the 914. The internal dimensions changed on the flywheel not the ring gear. The 901/915/930/G50 all use the same size ring gear.

I'm wondering if your holding back a secret on us ??? Ok.. give it up. Seriously. I run the gear reduction starters on the V8 conversions cars with the BUS flywheel (228) only to get more surface area to handle the extra Torque and HP.

B
Dave_Darling
How do you deal with the pilot bearing when you use a Bus flywheel?

--DD
Brad Roberts
Read my post: "It bolts right on". I didnt say it would work. I buy them from KEP machined for the pilot roller bearing.

:finger2:

B
Dave_Darling
finger.gif right back at ya, B!

I did read your post. My question seemed like a natural one to follow your post with.

Heh heh heh. devil.gif The funny part is, you're probably on the road down this-a-way and I'll see you in person before you can even read this. biggrin.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.