Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightened flywheels and pressure plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
My flywheel on the SIX appears to be lightened and balanced.

I'm waiting for someone to find a lightened press plate for me as well.

What are the advantages to using these components.
Faster revving? IPB Image

Important enough to wait for?
If not, then I'll assemble the motor and trans tomorrow with the stock pressure plate.

KT
Aaron Cox
less rotational mass....spool up faster and stall easier IPB Image
McMark
IPB Image It'll rev up like a mo-fo, but if you don't get your revs and clutching right, it's stall city.
J P Stein
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 31 2004, 08:16 PM)
:

Important enough to wait for?

KT

No.
Trekkor
This guy has been teasing me with a "race" pressure plate, lightened, balanced, high pressure for three to four weeks.

But he can't find it IPB Image

I'll move forward.

KT
J P Stein
The only "reasonably priced" light weight PP that I'm aware of
is the early 9eleben Aluminum jobbie.....if $900 (last I priced them) bucks is reasonable. A Tilton set-up is mega bucks.

Besides, with a low torque engine, you want a fairly heavy flywheel.....the better to launch you with (IMO)......& chirp 2nd IPB Image
TimT
What clutch/flywheel are you using?

A lightened flywheel/pressure plate will spool up quicker, will decelerate more quickly.

You can upshift, downshift faster

If you have a disk type flywheel you may be able to get a 915 RSR pressure plate. ie all aluminum, they are getting hard to find new though..

One thing we do with cars with EFI and light flywheels etc is to advance the timing at idle to give the engine more torque/power at idle.. less driveabilty probs

here is a 906 flywheel
TimT
And this is my lightend flywheel for my 911.... I do have one of those unobtanium pressure plates for myself IPB Image
nein14
Watch on Ebay, about a year ago I got NOS Sachs 6 spring 911S Clutch & Aluminum Pressure and throwout bearing for just under $400.00. Haven't installed it in the Turbo yet, still using the stock clutch.
brant
on the early 911-alloy PP, you need the correct clutch disc too...

We once had the wrong one and couldn't figure out why our clearances didn't work....

brant
carr914
How much do those 906 flywheels go for?
brant
QUOTE (carr914 @ Jan 3 2005, 09:04 AM)
How much do those 906 flywheels go for?

I've never seen a real one...
I'd think a real one would be really expensive..

much cheaper to get your flywheel lightened... even extensively lightened.

brant
Trekkor
My parts guy came through today.

The part looks identical to the stock one.

The new one wieghs in at 6#'s while the old one is a whopping 10#'s IPB Image

Lot's of aluminum...Stiffer springs.

I'll put it on now.

KT
Trekkor
Done.

Put on a new engine oil thermostat o-ring, too.

KT
sixnotfour
Dude , you scored , I have one in my 6 also. they're great.
The copper faced ones are the problem childs. You got the good one. Does He have anymore ? IPB Image
Trekkor
Actually, he does... IPB Image

He's planning on putting a SIX in his Lotus Europa with a 901 gearbox.

He showed me the part about three-four weeks ago and said I could have it.

Then he said he'd have to find the "other one" as this was for his project.

I waited and he found it. IPB Image

I'm bullnosing his marble for it.

KT
nein14
Actually, all of the aluminum pressure plates for the early 911S's were cooper faced when new.
Trekkor
This one is different. The plate surface is steel ( magnet test ) fused to aluminum. The guy said " plasma welded " IPB Image

I can't wait to test it.

KT
nein14
Sachs never made one like that, I ran into the same problem with a used one I bought from a Porsche dismantler. I ended up calling Sachs direct to get verification from their part # on the pressure plate.
C.Plavan
I'm bringing this thread back to life. I have 3 now and possibly 5 of the "Unobtainum" aluminum pressure plates. I am working on version 2.0 for the higher HP/torque cars. I will be testing this V2.0 version next weekend.
FYI- there are two versions of the aluminum pressure plate. The copper faced (actually bronze) will not hold up to race conditions.... it will gall and flake. The second version is gray sprayed on metal. This is what you really want.
I will have a complete kit available shortly. It will include a modified aluminum pressure plate, custom lightweight clutch disc, and custom aluminum flywheel. It will be much cheaper than the $2200-$2500 Tilton package.
Here are some pictures. This package will save you at least 10 pounds spinning on your crank....Zoom..ZOOM. My race car was flying through the gears.
user posted image
user posted image

C.Plavan
Here is what happens when you try to race with the copper faced version. This was not from me trying (thank god). But I bought it to resurface it and modify it for the kit. Here are pictures of NOS copper faced (these will be resprayed also) The final version will be like the picture above this post.
user posted image
user posted image
Trekkor
The pressure plate you show look just like mine.

My motor does rev up rather nice BTW, wink.gif

KT
dlo914
im surprised scott (skline) hasnt buzzed in about his first 914's 1.7L w/ a lightened 12lb flywheel..... laugh.gif
C.Plavan
Anyone have interest in a full lightweight kit? This would include an aluminum flywheel, Custom clutch disc, and a modified/ repsprayed Aluminum pressure plate (VERY RARE PART) The kit will look like the picture I posted in this thread.
Kit would be in the $1200 range ready to be bolt on.
I only have 2 (out of 5) left. There will be some lead time to modify the aluminum pressure plates.
Send PM. Very trick parts.
SirAndy
QUOTE (trekkor @ Dec 31 2004, 09:16 PM)
What are the advantages to using these components

IMHO, the biggest plus of a lightened flywheel is the much quicker deceleration, you can actually use the gaspedal as a brake and steering wheel ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.