Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just to be sure... Front transmission seal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
So I have the transmission out to replace the front main seal. I assumed it would be a simple matter. However upon reading other posts it appears it is a pain in the ass and requires as special puller to accomplish. Do I need a special tool and are there any special tricks? Looks very straight forward to me. What am I missing?

Regards

Jame
Mblizzard
It is a little tricky but it can be done with a seal puller. I used a puller that had an adjustable handel which helps clear the shaft that is in the way.
ThePaintedMan
Yeah.. something like this helps: IPB Image

But don't get the one from Advance Auto - it was total crap and stripped out before I got get any leverage on it.

The Cap'n says this can also be done with just a screwdriver.

Others say use a self tapping screw and slide hammer.

Final resort is to remove the differential access plate on the side of the transmission and push the input shaft seal out from the back with a very long screwdriver.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 3 2014, 05:41 AM) *

Yeah.. something like this helps: IPB Image

agree.gif

That is the one I used.
jesiv
I found one but does not pivot. Will that work or does it need to pivot?

Regards

James
Mblizzard
QUOTE(jesiv @ Jan 3 2014, 02:54 PM) *

I found one but does not pivot. Will that work or does it need to pivot?

Regards

James

I had one that did not pivot but I could not get it to work. So I think it has to pivot to work. But others may be more "tool savvy" than me.
SirAndy
Simple sheet metal screw into the seal and a good whack will work too ...
smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.