Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine bay charcoal canister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i need some pictures of your stock install in the engine compartment as a reference. canister and which way the hoses and small line run. thanks.

k
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2014, 12:25 AM) *

i need some pictures of your stock install in the engine compartment as a reference. canister and which way the hoses and small line run. thanks.

k

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...108524&st=0

Posts #17 and #18 show a '75 and '76 and the cannister is mounted differently in each (ie. turned 180 degrees). Not sure which is "stock/original" from the factory or if the different years turned it 180 degrees. On my early 74 2.0L, my cannister is up front.
rhodyguy
thanks for the link. unfortunately for me all i have are the early version canisters and prob not the correct strap. car that needs the canister has the small line from the gas tank back

k
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2014, 09:58 AM) *

thanks for the link. unfortunately for me all i have are the early version canisters and prob not the correct strap. car that needs the canister has the small line from the gas tank back

k

Pic in post #18 appears to have the small line?
rgolia
my 74Click to view attachment
SLITS
QUOTE(rgolia @ Jan 3 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Then it's an early '74 with that setup.
gcrotvik
Hey Kevin,

They moved the canister from the front trunk to the engine compartment sometime after the 11/73 builds. In later 74's it was located as shown in the first 2 pictures below. In 75-76 years (3rd picture), it was moved again to the battery tray.

This is the same setup for 1.8's and 2.0's

If you are looking for routing of hoses and hose sizes, look on Jeff Bowlsby's site. He has just about everything you will need there. Here is the link: https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

If you need the bracket, check with Bruce Stone.

Hope this helps.

Greg
flipb
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 3 2014, 04:18 PM) *

QUOTE(rgolia @ Jan 3 2014, 11:14 AM) *

Then it's an early '74 with that setup.

Yep, my '74 (build date: 8/73) has it the same. Some PO screwed up the hoses and the canister filled with fuel and gave off a nasty odor. Dumped it, replaced the charcoal, and painted the canister a couple years ago and had the hoses setup closer to the way they should be (I have carbs).
rgolia
yep early 74...... build date of 8/73 also
gothspeed
So to install in the engine compartment, one needs to only run a long line from the expansion tank to the engine compartment?
boxsterfan
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 3 2014, 02:23 PM) *

So to install in the engine compartment, one needs to only run a long line from the expansion tank to the engine compartment?

Correct.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Jan 3 2014, 02:23 PM) *

Yes, the thin plastic line runs down the center tunnel next to the fuel lines. It enters the tunnel below the fuel tank through the grommet for the fuel lines and comes out of the lower rear fire wall below the main wiring loom (to the left of the left most fuel line). It has it's own hole and grommet. I think it follows the fuel lines and comes into the engine compartment somewhere close to the battery tray base.

Of course, if you have an early car, there won't be a third hole in the grommet for the fuel lines under the gas tank or a hole in the lower rear firewall. You will need to improvise here. You can find a later grommet for the fuel lines that has the hole in it and drill a hole in the lower firewall and add the grommet there.

You will have to find the thin hose that runs front to back used because it's NLA from Porsche.

Greg
rhodyguy
jeff's site was very helpful. found a canister and mounting strap. located the small line that runs from the fuel tank to the canister. its rather long and was found on the rear area of the engine which leads me to think the canister was not battery tray mounted. is the strap mount type specific for the locations or the same for both? i have a box of ljet stuff and the strap mount may be in there. i'm not sure what the correct one looks like and exactly how/where it bolts on. could use a picture of the correct rear strap and one of how it's installed. getting closer….
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2014, 06:10 AM) *

jeff's site was very helpful. found a canister and mounting strap. located the small line that runs from the fuel tank to the canister. its rather long and was found on the rear area of the engine which leads me to think the canister was not battery tray mounted. is the strap mount type specific for the locations or the same for both? i have a box of ljet stuff and the strap mount may be in there. i'm not sure what the correct one looks like and exactly how/where it bolts on. could use a picture of the correct rear strap and one of how it's installed. getting closer….

Where you able to find a new cannister or did you just find one in good shape?

I've been thinking of taking my early 1974 cannister out and replenishing with charcoal but not sure if it can even be taken apart. Made of plastic I believe.
rhodyguy
the green car in greg's post, #7, shows the rear placement. jim hoyland advised me there is a mounting point(s) on the body, in the engine compartment, for the canister strap. when replacing the charcoal, is filtration product like that used in a fish tank? if not, where to source?
worn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2014, 09:20 AM) *

the green car in greg's post, #7, shows the rear placement. jim hoyland advised me there is a mounting point(s) on the body, in the engine compartment, for the canister strap. when replacing the charcoal, is filtration product like that used in a fish tank? if not, where to source?

This has been helpful to me. Thanks everyone. Apparently the canister was removed somewhere along the way in my '76, but I did find the line from the tank. Thin brittle plastic. I was very puzzled, not realizing that the whole canister was gone. I had thought it was lurking somewhere in front.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2014, 09:20 AM) *

Yes, activated charcoal like used in fish tanks. Your local pet/aquarium store will have the activated charcoal pellets. That's myplan on replacing/refilling my cannister....but getting it open without destroying it is the key?
rhodyguy
the plastic style canister looks like it comes apart.

found the stud for the strap. the car has been converted to carbs. the air filter for the pass side carb will be in the way using the rear mounting provision. i don't want to drill an extra hole to shift the canister over. i'm thinking of possibly going to the battery tray location.

k
saigon71
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 9 2014, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2014, 06:10 AM) *

Where you able to find a new cannister or did you just find one in good shape?

I've been thinking of taking my early 1974 cannister out and replenishing with charcoal but not sure if it can even be taken apart. Made of plastic I believe.

I just replaced the activated charcoal in my 1974 canister. The top pops off with a screwdriver and some gentle prying. Easy job by 914 standards. You will need 1.7 lbs of activated charcoal. No more gas fumes in the cabin!

Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
did you buy the charcoal at a pet supply store?
jim_hoyland
I have used the aquarium charcoal; some say that gently heating the charcoal from the canister in an oven for 6 hours will rejuvenate the charcoals capacity
rhodyguy
haha. 6 hours + of stench in the kitchen. i'd be sleeping there. thanks jim. dry.gif biggrin.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 11 2014, 07:57 AM) *

did you buy the charcoal at a pet supply store?

I bought it from an ebay vendor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320982272804?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.