Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting new coil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
Last weekend, I installed a new Bosch coil from PP and some Clewett wires. This one:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...221-119-027-M14

However, the diameter of this coil is too small for the stock mounting bracket. I ended up shimming the bracket with some weatherstripping type stuff for a snug/tight fit.

Is that all that can be done for mounting in the stock location?

A bummer on the fit/finish, but one thing for sure is that my 2.0L with Pertronix is idling and running much smoother now (per my seat of the pants measurements). The idle is 100% smoother for sure with no "lumpiness". It could be related to the fact that the old spark plug wires were "solid core" and the new are "spiral core". I had read that "solid core" could have EMI issues when run with an electronic ignition.
SirAndy
The Bosch blue coils are smaller than the original coils and need shimming.

I used to use a piece of the cloth braided vacuum lines sliced in half, always worked great.
smile.gif
JawjaPorsche
When I got a new blue Bosch coil. It came with a new bracket.

It was silver but I painted it black. Used large fender washers.
Drums66
......Or the same material your heater fan is shimmed with? idea.gif

flag.gif bye1.gif
rhodyguy
agree.gif those rubber rectangles are handy for a lot of uses.
malcolm2
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 3 2014, 02:10 PM) *

agree.gif those rubber rectangles are handy for a lot of uses.

agree.gif that is what i did. my blue one did not snug up, so I used some padding.
McMark
just don't use electrical tape (or any tape). seen that too many times and it doesn't work in the long run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.