Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome bumper help in Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
After having feelers out there fo-eva to find a great chrome front bumper—and finding one owned by someone who posts it for sale but apparently just can't bring himself to sell it—I'm thinking I may have to work with what I've got.

The good news:
-It was new in 1992
-It has zero rust
-It has never been reworked or rechromed
-It has no dents of any real note

The bad news:
-The top of the bumper doesn't follow the curve of the hood/lights very well; it's "straighter" and needs to be recurved a bit.

Looks like Stockton Bumper is long gone. Too bad, as they did good work for me years ago. Wondering who might have a "form" to correct the curve of my bumper or, in worst case, is local and I can work with to make it right.

Any help appreciated! beerchug.gif

pete
JeffBowlsby
Hi Pete!

I have had excellent experience with Faith Bumper on a couple occasions over the years. Hope all is well with you.

http://www.faithbumperservice.com/

Dave_Darling
You know that Rich Bontempi probably has 3700 chrome front bumpers. Surely one of them must be good enough to use?

--DD
horizontally-opposed
Hey Jeff! All is well, if a bit busier than the usual crazy this past year. Will call Faith Bumper—thanks for the tip. Hoping to get back behind the wheel of my 914 this year. driving.gif

Dave, are you saying there's a good chance Rich has one that would be good to go as is?

Thanks!!!

pete
ConeDodger
Pete,
If you need to go further inland to get it done, just drop it at the OC and I can pick it up and drop it off in a shop in Sac or Reno. My project is getting to the point I will need to go to Sonoma more frequently.
Dave_Darling
Pete, I would be very surprised if Rich didn't have anywhere between one and six million that were in acceptable condition. I mean, he has dozens of everything after all...

It'll be a lot faster than sending a bumper out for re-plating, that's for certain.

--DD
McMark
They're $$$, but siverson really liked the polished stainless reproductions.

IPB Image
horizontally-opposed
Hey Mark,

Spent some time on that thread, and would actually be a buyer but for two things: 1) I'm (a little) concerned about the "wrap" issue/variance and 2) I want to stick with my 1970 rear bumper...just like the straight edges better. Wonder if one stainless and one chrome bumper would look funny together?

Thanks!

pete
McMark
Contact the supplier. Perhaps they can make the early style bumper.

Wonder if one stainless and one chrome bumper would look funny together?

Nah, different ends of the car make it impossible to compare.
horizontally-opposed
In that case, I wonder if anyone would want to split the cost and take the rear.

I may contact Harrington to see if they can be convinced to do the 1970-71 rear bumper. Surprised they aren't doing it, given that's the one that will bring in the big money, one would think...
horizontally-opposed
So I'm ready to redo my bumpers and Faith seems to be out of business.

Anyone have someone they're really happy with in the bay area?
Coondog
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 3 2014, 07:18 PM) *

You know that Rich Bontempi probably has 3700 chrome front bumpers. Surely one of them must be good enough to use?

--DD

Rich sells the Vietnam repos
horizontally-opposed
Anyone got anything on Superior in San Jose? I liked the guy on the phone...
ConeDodger
Ogden chrome? Free shipping...
EdwardBlume
I used these guys taking my black 74 bumpers with tit holes to chrome and holes filled. Was 6-7 years ago but did a nice job.

http://www.westcoastchrome.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.