Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Sending Unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
One of my other projects this winter is to get an oil pressure gauge installed. I want to use the dual-sender unit (can purchase from PP or wherever).

I have read before that some people take out the original sender and install a hose and then attach the dual-sender to that hose. Of course, wiring from there to your gauge and idiot light. For those that have done this:

1. What kind of hose? And size of hose ends?
2. Where did you mount the sender and how? Pic helpful....

TIA...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 3 2014, 03:30 PM) *

One of my other projects this winter is to get an oil pressure gauge installed. I want to use the dual-sender unit (can purchase from PP or wherever).

I have read before that some people take out the original sender and install a hose and then attach the dual-sender to that hose. Of course, wiring from there to your gauge and idiot light. For those that have done this:

1. What kind of hose? And size of hose ends?
2. Where did you mount the sender and how? Pic helpful....

TIA...

Stand back, a shitstorm is likely about to happen. Personally, I use a readily available grease gun hose with a 1/8"NPT male fitting on at least one end. Some say a paintball hose works. You have to wire a ground for the sending unit housing. I mount them on the fan shroud, using a plastic covered ring clamp, like the ones used to route hoses and wires in a hot rod. I've done this on a lot of cars over the years and it works well. Be sure the sender you use matches the characteristics of the gauge, and the cutoff pressure for the lamp.

The Cap'n
boxsterfan
Thanks Capn'. I'm going to assume that one end of the hose has to be male and the other female.

How long of a hose do i need to mount the send unit up on the fan shroud? I wonder if i could get it mounted off one of the bolts for the coil mounting bracket?

malcolm2
Let me be the 1st to suggest the also readily available and cheap and available in various lengths..... THE PAINT BALL GUN HOSE. Shit storm or not, it is perfect. Been to long since I knew all the thread sizes, but it works. Someone will speak up, if not get with me and I'll pull out my files.

I ran the hose up to the fan and made a small "L" bracket, used one of the fan screws to attach it. even use the OEM oil pressure wire on my VDO sending unit.

post-2-1117899824.gif

Follow the metal braided hose.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stugray
The 1/8" NPT greasegun extensions will work just fine.

About $5 at your FLAPS
michael7810
I used the grease gun hose and a bracket from Ace Hardware used to hang pipe (I think it was for 1-1/2" pipe). The bracket fit perfect to an existing threaded hole on the fan housing. The only mod was adding a self-locking nut to the bracket clamp.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boxsterfan
Awesome!! Thanks for the pics!!
stugray
IPB Image
Cap'n Krusty
I'd just like to say I think those installations are REALLY nice! I especially like that clamp .....................

The Cap'n
wndsnd
The only thing I would add is the grease gun and paint ball hoses will need a coupling at the sender unit and that is another potential leak point.

There is a kit that comes with the coupling attached but it is like $30.00

John
stugray
I especially like that clamp ...

Thanks!

Here's the opposite side:

IPB Image

The idea was to unthread the gauge and thread in the stock idiot light once I am happy with the VDO giving me accurate pressures.
I dont want to race with that weight hanging off of the bracket.
euro911
Wow, nice looking motor, Malcolm smile.gif

So, what is the thread size for the sender unit?

"Be sure the sender you use matches the characteristics of the gauge, and the cutoff pressure for the lamp."

What is the 'lamp cutoff' pressure?

Also, what is the part # of the sender unit for this application?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.