Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear swaybar drop link bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
barebrad
All right, need a little help. Bought replacement bushings for the drop links of my rear sway bar from PP. They seem to be hard plastic. But how in the world do you get them pushed in? Just don't seem to fit...

screwy.gif
jimkelly
I think some people heat them up in hot water and then use a c clamp??

to get the drop link on the ball of the bar I used c clamp and to get the other end on the ball of the shock bolt I used a scissor jack between trans and it.

Type 47
you mean these:

IPB Image

Not an easy job, here is what I did: microwave a pan of very hot water and place bushing in water. place end of link in hot water also.

lay a towel or something on counter, with an object like a large flat blade screw driver (large b/c you don't want the object to be sharp).

Push as much of the bushing in the link, apply extra pressure with flat edge of screw driver or like object. It helps if you have three hands.

They will eventually pop in. the part that initially didn't want to go in maybe a bit deflected, if needed encourage it to return to the original shape. return to hot water for a few minutes if needed.

They should all be good when your done.

a small C clamp may be the ticket...why didn't I think of that?
bdstone914
QUOTE(barebrad @ Jan 3 2014, 08:28 PM) *

All right, need a little help. Bought replacement bushings for the drop links of my rear sway bar from PP. They seem to be hard plastic. But how in the world do you get them pushed in? Just don't seem to fit...

screwy.gif

Just went through that my self.
I heat them in boiling water to soften them. Grease the inside of the drop link. I start to press them in using a vise. Apply some pressure and use a dull blunt tool to start working the lip into the drop link.
Note the bushings face opposite directions. As they press in part of the way use a socket that is larger than the diameter of the bushing to allow the bushing to press all the way through. Lots of fun.
Bruce

Type 47
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 3 2014, 06:43 PM) *

screwy.gif

I heat them in boiling water to soften them. Grease the inside of the drop link. I start to press them in using a vise. Apply some pressure and use a dull blunt tool to start working the lip into the drop link.
Note the bushings face opposite directions. As they press in part of the way use a socket that is larger than the diameter of the bushing to allow the bushing to press all the way through. Lots of fun.
Bruce

Good point, you don't want to put one in backwards!!!
barebrad
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 3 2014, 08:47 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 3 2014, 06:43 PM) *

screwy.gif

Bruce

Good point, you don't want to put one in backwards!!!

Thanks everyone... I'll try the hot water and the c-clamp in the morning. Just 1 of 50 tasks to do this weekend! At least I don't have snow to deal with... biggrin.gif

914werke
biggrin.gif Thats why I offers my replacements as both assembilies (bushings installed ) or Bare.
HERE
dangrouche
here is my no tool "recipe" for installing bushings on drop links. The bushings can actually be boiled and they are pliable and mushy for less than a minute. honest, it really did work

use a coleman gas stove, a pot of water, a pair of tongs, and some fabric gloves

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=212063&hl=
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.