Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Funny Thing Happened to Me at Brumos Today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
I swung by my mechanic's shop today to see him and check on my LE that he's working on, which is right across the street from Brumos Porsche (he was the chief Porsche mechanic and Brumos Service Manager for decades). As I left his shop and saw Brumos across the street, I noticed something very unique and unfactory-like about the very coveted Signal Orange 1973 911S in the window. I usually swing by to see what they have in there because they frequently interchange cars from their museum, so there's often a vintage car in there. Most people in Jacksonville just know Brumos as the Porsche dealership. What most don't realize is it's racing team heritage that made it famous. To us (in its heyday) it's Peter Gregg Motors (later Brumos Porsche) that began of one of the greatest racing empires of all time and a racing heritage that developed a very close relationship with Porsche.

First I walk in and a newish salesman there sees me and says, "Hey, you're the guy with the pair of 914s, aren't you?" He's seen both of my cars, one of which (my red one that's up for sale) I happen to be driving tonight, and he remembered me from attending the fashion week I produced here in Jacksonville (First Coast Fashion Week) because Brumos was my main sponsor. He asked me about my 914s and in turn after talking vintage Porsche with him for a bit, I inquired about this unique 1973 911S 2.4 - with R flares - AND Sportomatic.

It's Peter Gregg's personal car - a one-off car that Porsche made special for him as a gift after he won the 1973 24 Hour Race at Daytona. It included Gregg's preferences (the biggest being AC installed), the factory installed R flares on it and included the very rare Sportomatic transmission, which was Peter's favorite transmission to drive (but Porsche's least favorite - LOATHED to work on) and was his personal, daily driver.

Oh yeah, not to mention I had just missed Hurley Haywood when I walked in.

We talked vintage Porsche for over an hour and then I told them about my current quest to hunt down an original Centennial Porsche Audi license plate frame for my 914 LE (the dealership in Eugene, OR where my car was first sold new but has been gone for decades) as well as currently trying to obtain one of the original signs from the dealership that is still on premises of what is now a Fiat dealership currently occupying the same address. While wishing me luck on that quest to obtain actual history memorabilia to my very rare LE, he presented me with a period correct Brumos Porsche license plate frame in case I couldn't find a Centennial one. I gratefully accepted the gift and told him I'll use both on my car - Centennial on the front representing where my car began (and lived for 39 years) in Eugene, OR, and Brumos on the back representing Jacksonville, where it will live it's next 39 (and hopefully more) years. smile.gif

smilie_pokal.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
Click to view attachment
R8CERX
QUOTE(tumamilhem @ Jan 3 2014, 08:51 PM) *

Nice when the stars align and you encounter folks wiling to help you along the way…NICE! aktion035.gif
tumamilhem
beerchug.gif
carr914
Which Saleman did you talk to? One of the Guys has been a Member here for a long time, but is not active - He owns a 72 914-6 and has had a bunch of them. He & I used to Trade cars back & forth before he went to Brumos!

Who is your Mechanic that used to be at Brumos? After Bob Snodgrass died, the Dealership has gone downhill IMHO. A lot of the Old Guys (especially in Porsche Parts) were forced out & purged. I have a Stack of those Brumos Frames!

Click to view attachment

The Museum

Click to view attachment
carr914
Before it was called Brumos, it was Brundage MotorCars
euro911
Cool.

My wife had a Vasek Polak Porsche frame on her beetle, got stolen while at the body shop (ass-wipes) mad.gif

I don't think the old Centennial dealership is a Fiat dealership, the sign on Google street view says Lithia personnel office (80 Centennial Loop, Eugene, OR). I researched Lithia Auto Stores, and it says: Chrysler, Toyota, Jeep, Subaru and Honda/Acura confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
Its nice when its not all about the cars.... aktion035.gif
cary
I have Brumos frames on all my PCars. And my Powerstroke.
I AX with car #59 on my 911.
Hope to secure #58 as my 914 number.
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2014, 04:13 AM) *

Which Saleman did you talk to? One of the Guys has been a Member here for a long time, but is not active - He owns a 72 914-6 and has had a bunch of them. He & I used to Trade cars back & forth before he went to Brumos!

Who is your Mechanic that used to be at Brumos? After Bob Snodgrass died, the Dealership has gone downhill IMHO. A lot of the Old Guys (especially in Porsche Parts) were forced out & purged. I have a Stack of those Brumos Frames!

Click to view attachment

The Museum

Click to view attachment

Frank Eisenmann started All EuroCar Care after he was purged from 35 years with Brumos.
415 Tresca Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/...images/bold.gif

Phone (904) 619-4312
Email service@alleurocare.com
Website http://www.alleurocare.com

Frank is a good guy, my Turbo "S" is currently there getting some work done biggrin.gif

https://www.facebook.com/AllEuroCarCare

Click to view attachment

And those are ST flares, not R flares..
jfort
I had a 73 S. The one I should have never sold. It originally had the Sportomatic, too, but a later owner put in the 5 speed that I had when I owned it. All blue leather interior including sport Recaros. Great car. What was I thinking? Just like the Road & Track review of it says, when it comes on its cam at 4K rpm, it is a rush. The E was faster to 60, the S faster to 100. The orange one above brings back good memories.
JmuRiz
Very cool car, I hear he liked the sporto to force himself to not rest his hand on the shifter when not changing gears...helped the trans last longer in endurance races.
FourBlades

Great story, thanks for sharing.

I think I would be in there every week if I lived in Jax.

The 1998 GT1 is one of my favorite looking cars of all time.

John
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 4 2014, 02:56 PM) *

John

When Bob was still alive, I stopped in every Month or 2 and had Lunch with him (we grew up together in Upstate NY. I'm sure he is rolling in his Grave with what has happened @ Brumos. Between getting out of Racing, and purging long-time employees, he would never have had anything to do with that.

The GT1 is a Porsche Owned Car and was there with a Bunch of other Porsche Owned cars prior to RennSport Reunion

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2014, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jan 4 2014, 02:56 PM) *

John

When Bob was still alive, I stopped in every Month or 2 and had Lunch with him (we grew up together in Upstate NY. I'm sure he is rolling in his Grave with what has happened @ Brumos. Between getting out of Racing, and purging long-time employees, he would never have had anything to do with that.

The GT1 is a Porsche Owned Car and was there with a Bunch of other Porsche Owned cars prior to RennSport Reunion

Click to view attachment

Truer words have not been spoken.. There isn't much left that reflects Bob in the showroom or the dealership, very sad sad.gif
tumamilhem
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Jan 4 2014, 12:38 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2014, 04:13 AM) *

Click to view attachment

The Museum

Click to view attachment

Frank Eisenmann started All EuroCar Care after he was purged from 35 years with Brumos.
415 Tresca Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32225
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/style_images/...images/bold.gif

Phone (904) 619-4312
Email service@alleurocare.com
Website http://www.alleurocare.com

Frank is a good guy, my Turbo "S" is currently there getting some work done biggrin.gif

https://www.facebook.com/AllEuroCarCare

Click to view attachment

And those are ST flares, not R flares..

Frank is the one working on my LE currently. That's it is on the far left! driving.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif chowtime.gif first.gif
Here's a pic they took of it and put up on their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=604...e=1&theater

All EuroCar Care
There aren't many 914 Porsches around these days as nice as this beautiful '74. Sweet lil car.
Click to view attachment
tumamilhem
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 4 2014, 06:13 AM) *

True. It's basically living on its former reputation. After Bob left, a lot of the good guys who made it what it was were forced out. Frank, my mechanic, was one of them.

The salesman I was chatting with is Keith. Bill sold me my last car.
carr914
John Schaeffer (9werks) is the long time Member who's in Sales at Brumos

Here are some of the -6's he has owned - I bought the last one from him

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
you've owned some stiffy producing cars TC.
vw505
I used to drive buy there a few times a week when I was in Mayport.
tumamilhem
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 4 2014, 06:42 AM) *

Cool.

My wife had a Vasek Polak Porsche frame on her beetle, got stolen while at the body shop (ass-wipes) mad.gif

I don't think the old Centennial dealership is a Fiat dealership, the sign on Google street view says Lithia personnel office (80 Centennial Loop, Eugene, OR). I researched Lithia Auto Stores, and it says: Chrysler, Toyota, Jeep, Subaru and Honda/Acura confused24.gif

The Fiat dealership is at the same location - 80 Centennial Loop (I included the link) though the company Lithia owns several brands. The GM stays at the Dodge dealership and has yet returned any of my calls. :/
euro911
I didn't know, but just read that Fiat has a major stake in Chrysler Motors and is planning to acquire the remaining stock shares.

You may be correct, but it just doesn't look like a dealership now to me confused24.gif ... in any event, I don't think I'll be driving up there to verify it laugh.gif

Hope the GM gets around to returning your call though call me.gif ... it would be cool to have some old memorabilia

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.