Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Racing Crash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tumamilhem
It amazes me how utterly STUPID some people are.

1. Some guy is filming this race is right one the shoulder of the road. Mountan races obviously have no barriers, so away and UP from the road (side of a mountain, etc) would be a smart place to be - NOT 6 INCHES FROM A CAR GOING 100 MPH INTO A TURN. When this 914 goes too far into the turn, he is literally a hand's length away from getting run over by the car.

2. After the car crashes into a boulder - and into a chair that someone was sitting in BY THE ROAD, not to mention the shoulder of the road is lined with chairs, everybody surrounds the car on the road, some running out into the MIDDLE of the road to take pictures of the wreck. Some guy actually runs out INTO the road to approach the car instead of approaching OFF the road through the trees. Mind you, the race is STILL GOING ON where another car is sure to run into everybody who is standing ON A RACETRACK.

3. Not only that, people are yelling "GET OFF THE ROAD!" for OVER A MINUTE and they ARE STILL ON THE ROAD (as if they should need to be told at all). Not only do they NOT get off the road, but more people walk out INTO the road and even GATHER by the road, just waiting to have happen to them what they are gathered around to see. Sure enough you can hear a speeding car rapidly approaching them coming around the corner - and people not only don't move, but are STILL standing in the road and some even hold up their cameras to film a speeding car coming towards them just waiting to get run over.

Fortunately the driver does not appear to be hurt and gets up and jumps/walks out of the car unscathed (on the outside anyway). What's sadder than the loss of this 914 is how impressively DUMB these people are. Unbelievable. And they just legalized marijuana for recreational use in CO. Imagine these people high at a race. Maybe they are high. After yelling "Off the road!" for an entire minute, not only do they NOT get off the road, but more people walk out INTO the road. Hey, smoke up, Johnny! I hear another car coming! (And one does) O_O

GET THE F**** OUT OF THE ROAD, DUMB ASSES! chair.gif

Amazing.

914 Racing Crash at Pike's Peak 2013
ConeDodger
I doubt spectators had anything to do with the wreck though. He gets out of shape and doesn't recover. He is oversteering and probably because he comes off the throttle. When he gets slow enough so the tires quit their sideways acceleration, he goes forward into the rock.
I've done hill-climbs and I never really saw the spectators. They're there sure, but you concentrate on the road.
Big Len
It appears like the driver made a steering correction to avoid the picture taking idiot.
rhodyguy
that wreck has absolutely NOTHING to do with the end of the absurd prohibition and the legalization of cannabis.
914_teener
Kevin is right......

People can do stupid things.

Welcome to the age of narcissism.

tumamilhem
ConeDodger: I wasn't saying the spectators had anything to do with the wreck. I'm saying they are idiots for being right up against the road, putting their chairs out along the shoulder (the car ends up in a boulder with a chair right there. And after the wreck, they wanter out into the road and the race is still going on. Do they not see what just happened like it couldn't happen again? Sure enough, you hear another car coming from around the corner and they scream even louder to get off the road because they're all about to get run over.

Big Len: I saw that. It appears so. He was so close to that car. I wonder if that broke his concentration and trying to avoid him caused a miscalculation in changing his steering. Either way, he was so close that if he was wearing a hat, it would've blown off.

rhodyguy: I didn't say weed had anything to do with this wreck. I don't know where you got that from. My point was these people are right along side what is a racetrack with no protection at a race, then run out in the road while the race is happening and about to get hit by another oncoming car and they are still out in the road. Getting them off the road out (somewhat) of direct harm's way - especially after seeing what they just did and how lose they were, is like pulling teeth. My point is they are complete idiots. Imagine if they were high in the same scenario.

914 teener: Exactly right.
rmital
This looked familiar, then when the Chris Foley lookalike got out of the car, I remember someone posting this a while back.

Makes ya sick to see a beautiful machine wrecked like that; amazing the driver walks away!
carr914
Click to view attachment

This was discussed & discussed 6 Months ago
brant
Discussed for page after page.

Here

and here also

It's a Colorado car form German motor craft. We used to run against it back in DE in the 80's.

it used to have the nickname... "killer B"
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 4 2014, 04:59 PM) *

This looked familiar, then when the Chris Foley lookalike got out of the car, I remember someone posting this a while back.

hide.gif

The driver made an overcorrection and got real lucky.
He wasn't reacting to a spectator in the way.
Some overconfident spectators got real lucky too.
The way the driver kicks the car says a lot...
yadda, yadda, yadda
r_towle
Seen this movie....rerun
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 4 2014, 03:25 PM) *

hide.gif

yadda, yadda, yadda

Just like I said. He is in a lateral acceleration slide for a hundred yards or more. These cars will go hard without fault a lot deeper than front/rear drive cars but when they go... They're gone!
If you're going to get this worked up over spectators on the course, whatever you do, don't go to a forest rally! blink.gif This is the culture of the event. People stand just off course and step on as the car passes since the beginning of the event.
As for the pot, I got that impression too. I have to agree with Kevin. If the Feds would end the war on drugs, my taxes would go down, prisons would empty, and the mass murders in Mexico and Columbia would end. Pot smokers couldn't be bothered to get out of their chair because a race car was passing. Seriously doubt there was a pot smoker within 20 miles of Pikes Peak.
billh1963
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 4 2014, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 4 2014, 03:25 PM) *

hide.gif

yadda, yadda, yadda

Just like I said. He is in a lateral acceleration slide for a hundred yards or more. These cars will go hard without fault a lot deeper than front/rear drive cars but when they go... They're gone!
If you're going to get this worked up over spectators on the course, whatever you do, don't go to a forest rally! blink.gif This is the culture of the event. People stand just off course and step on as the car passes since the beginning of the event.
As for the pot, I got that impression too. I have to agree with Kevin. If the Feds would end the war on drugs, my taxes would go down, prisons would empty, and the mass murders in Mexico and Columbia would end. Pot smokers couldn't be bothered to get out of their chair because a race car was passing. Seriously doubt there was a pot smoker within 20 miles of Pikes Peak.

I'm all for legalization. Darwinism will remove many from the gene pool. Others will become complacent and reduce competition for jobs. My plan to become emperor of the world will gain traction as much of my competition will be too stoned to object. What could go wrong? happy11.gif
914_teener
agree.gif

laugh.gif That is funny.

+10 on the repost.

EdwardBlume
Driver error. Person or no person. Either he set it up wrong and was heading off the road and needed to correct, or he just overcorrected from being in the wrong spot.

Nice example of throttle steer / brake and why you should always stay on it in a curve.
Old Yella
All other issues aside, I like the fact that someone lined the side of the road with the biggest mother-f-cking granite boulders they could find and then found a bunch of guys to race past them. Maybe the occupational health and safety officer who looked at the track before the race should be raked over the coals. driving-girl.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Jan 5 2014, 12:19 AM) *

All other issues aside, I like the fact that someone lined the side of the road with the biggest mother-f-cking granite boulders they could find and then found a bunch of guys to race past them. Maybe the occupational health and safety officer who looked at the track before the race should be raked over the coals. driving-girl.gif

It's a mountain dude.....made of rocks.
rmdinmd
If OSHA was in charge; the race would never happen. blink.gif they would have to tie off for "fall protection". lol-2.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 5 2014, 12:26 AM) *

It's a mountain dude.....made of rocks.

av-943.gif

Gotta love epic reposts...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Jan 4 2014, 09:19 PM) *

Wow. blink.gif

This is the second oldest motorcar race in America. In 2016 it will run its 100th annual event. It was only completely paved in 2011. In 98 years there have only been two driver deaths. You're just now noticing boulders??? WTF.gif If you compare the number of participants to the number of deaths, this is one of the safest races in the world. I'd compare those numbers to autocrossing.

Turn in your 914 and get a Prius... poke.gif confused24.gif
AndyB
Nope not the spectators fault or the camera man. Driver error is all this was. Chris, at least he kicked that fiberglass fender with authority, he gave that fender the what for but good. dry.gif
rhodyguy
damn straight! that fender knows who the boss is.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Scarlet75 @ Jan 5 2014, 01:02 PM) *

at least he kicked that fiberglass fender with authority, he gave that fender the what for but good. dry.gif

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.