Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F$@k you! Stupid f-ing plastic nuts!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Ok...I feel better.
rick 918-S
Having fun yet? biggrin.gif
dlee6204
laugh.gif
messix
that is a "nut" not a "bolt" slap.gif
CptTripps
Good point! (Edited the title.)

Although, there's a plastic stud that it goes with, so I WAS partially right.

It's still a royal PITA...
PanelBilly
I'm putting off the retainer clip that holds the lighter in place. I fought it once already and it won
Chris H.
QUOTE(CptTripps)

Ok...I feel better.

Not easy going in or coming out are they? And the dang edges get kinda sharp too!
r_towle
If your windshield is out, reach over the dash from the front of the car....
Still sucks, can't see it, but it was easier once that way....
JRust
Yep nothing like using an open end wrench a 1/4 turn at a time. All the while that damn metal shelf there grabs you headbang.gif . I hate the suckers too agree.gif
r_towle
I love the fact that the title says it all...and we all know what he is cursing about.

effutuo101
Those suck!
Coming off or going on the result is the same. Cuts on your hands and wrists that leave your friends asking really awkward questions.
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jan 4 2014, 04:41 PM) *

Those suck!
Coming off or going on the result is the same. Cuts on your hands and wrists that leave your friends asking really awkward questions.

lol-2.gif
CptTripps
In another thread, someone theorized that the beginning of the assembly line was that nut on a strung...and the entire car was built around it.
barebrad
How funny! I was saying the exact thing today myself as I was installing my dash. Finally determined that child labor works best... Used one of my kids with small hands.

shades.gif
pilothyer
BTDT
messix
QUOTE(barebrad @ Jan 4 2014, 05:05 PM) *

How funny! I was saying the exact thing today myself as I was installing my dash. Finally determined that child labor works best... Used one of my kids with small hands.

shades.gif

I had a friend that has little girly hands and arms do it for me.
Jeffs9146
This type of wrench makes it easier! I also pry down the lower metal with a large screw driver and it make putting the nut back on much easier!
CptTripps
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 4 2014, 09:53 PM) *

This type of wrench makes it easier! I also pry down the lower metal with a large screw driver and it make putting the nut back on much easier!

I have those...but can't find my 14mm!

Funny story about those wrenches. More than once, I've use the ratchet side to put ON a nut in a tight area, only to have the wrench be captive after I torque down on it.
ruby914
Only 8 more happy11.gif
Someone was telling me that it's not that hard. There must be a trick. lol-2.gif
EdwardBlume
Oh, that blows. There is a trick. Small hands and two wrists.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2014, 04:39 PM) *

I love the fact that the title says it all...and we all know what he is cursing about.

If you don't, you haven't worked on a 914 yet ... I think it's a rite of passage ...
biggrin.gif
EdwardBlume
Putting the inner nut on an exterior door handle, and fitting the airbox are honorable mentions....
pneuhyde
"F$@k you! Stupid f-ing plastic nut!, You all know exactly what I'm doing, just from the title."
I couldn't agree with you more, and what is scarier is that I have NO IDEA how I am going to get that nut back on ohmy.gif
CptTripps
I got the whole dash out about 15min after I posted that. I keep thinking a "Pin" system would be better...

O-well.
Mblizzard
I knew what you were saying! I am 6'4" and can easily palm a basket ball in each of my massive hands. Not a chance my hands were going in to some of those spaces. I took to drinking in the car while installing them! In the end I used a pair of screw drivers to put them back on. No child labor was available.
rhodyguy
re-installing the nut that is above the gauge pod is even MORE fun than removing it. if you had skinny fingers about 12" long it would be a piece of cake.
FourBlades

Someone should design a special socket for these. idea.gif

Maybe a cut down socket on an extension?

I always lie on the floor and reach up to access them.

John
rgalla9146
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 4 2014, 11:58 PM) *

Oh, that blows. There is a trick. Small hands and two wrists.

1/4" ratchet ? short or medium socket or universal 13mm socket on short, medium or long extension ? If you can see it you can do it.
not fun but doable ; cursing is certainly helpful. 14 mm ?
r_towle
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 5 2014, 12:39 AM) *

I got the whole dash out about 15min after I posted that. I keep thinking a "Pin" system would be better...

O-well.

av-943.gif av-943.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif

You will LOVE putting it back in place even more than you could possibly imagine.
rhodyguy
or not put it on.
mgp4591
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 4 2014, 05:39 PM) *

That's why the "Ken" dolls were never anatomically correct... so my sister said...really... lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.