Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Rick Ollah or Scotty to the Operating Room!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
How much Surgery is needed here to bring the Fender out to clear this wheel?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Oooo..... unsure.gif Way more than a pull. It will never look stock.

Here's a suggestion. I've done this before. How much room is on the inside of the wheel and how thick is the wheel center?

I had a set of vintage Torque Thrusts that stick out too far to fit under the wheel wells on my 66 Chevelle. I had a machine shop take some material off the back of the wheel moving it in. If you have the space it may be worth considering. Otherwise get out the die grinder and cut the quarter panel off and widen it. sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

brant
too nice of a paint job..

buy different wheels.
carr914
Brant, the Paint Sucks (it's checked everywhere). It's going into the Paint shop soon, I wanted Rick to give me his assessment. That's an 8" Wheel. I have a WTB Ad in the Classifieds to get a Pair of 7"s - they fit

Click to view attachment
McMark
GT Flares are your best investment. They are versatile and IMHO would cost less overall than custom flaring. Plus if you ever go to sell it, the GT flares are a selling point whereas custom flares have to catch the right persons eye.
carr914
Mark, I've actually thought about buying your Flared Roller without the 5 Lug stuff just so I could use these Wheels wacko.gif
McMark
Perfect! biggrin.gif You'll probably come out ahead.
scotty b
agree.gif what Rick said. I doubt thought there is enough meat on those wheels to shave down for clearance. You should buy Marks car poke.gif
carr914
No Meat to Shave
scotty b
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 5 2014, 11:31 AM) *

No Meat to Shave

barf.gif TMI !! Can we keep this about cars please ? mad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 5 2014, 11:44 AM) *

Brant, the Paint Sucks (it's checked everywhere). It's going into the Paint shop soon, I wanted Rick to give me his assessment. That's an 8" Wheel. I have a WTB Ad in the Classifieds to get a Pair of 7"s - they fit

Click to view attachment

So is this photo with both 7's on the left side?

I really like those wheels. I would check the inside clearance on the tire. That wheel center looks thick. idea.gif
carr914
Rick, Yes this is both 7"s on the left side - to run them, I would work the inside lip & maybe pull them a bit to be safe.

Yes the Wheel Center is thick, but the Wheel Bolt Holes are sunk in very deep

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Those would look nice on my flared car....just saying
'73-914kid
Click to view attachment

When the previous owner of my car bodyworked it, they widened the rear fenders by cutting in the area shows in red, pulling the top section and lip out, and welding in an almond shaped piece of metal to fill it back in. I must say it gave it a nice shape.
IPB Image

Hopefully you can see the rear profile in this picture. I was running 15x7 cookie cutters with a 1/4 spacer and a 225 width rear tire to mostly fill out the rear flare... biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Wills, with 16x8 951 fuchs
naro914
TC
Is there s a spacer in there or are my eyes deceiving me?
if not, it really doesn't have enough meat to shave down? Looks like a bunch

completely OT...you going to Daytona for the 24??

Click to view attachment
MoveQik
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 6 2014, 12:58 AM) *

Wills, with 16x8 951 fuchs

Correct. And mine were done as 73-914Kid illustrated. I LOVE the look but I get it that it isn't for everyone. They tried to stretch mine without cutting but could not get them out far enough. They came very close but the tire rubbed under a hard load.
carr914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 6 2014, 10:06 AM) *

TC

Click to view attachment

No Spacer ( there is a lip on the wheel that makes it look that way) and you can see by looking thru the Lug Holes, there isn't much to save.

Daytona, probably not

Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
Just a thought - if you have good machine shop connections, you could have the lug holes tig welded up and redrilled much more shallow, and the back side shaved by what looks to be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch no problem.
carr914
I do have some of the Best Welders I have ever seen at my Work! idea.gif
r_towle
Or you could sell them.
Seems like they were supposedly made for the 914, but they don't have the right offset.
carr914
They were made for the 914, Tom was selling on the "Club" back in 2004. Eliott, Slits & others bought them. Revolution has since pulled out of the US. I have the Guy in England that I just sold the HSR 914 to, looking into it and trying to contact Revolution UK

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
What about having the inside of the rim machined down about 1.5"?
mskala
I guess I am not understanding the issue here. If you have 2 identical looking rims, a 7" and 8", and only the 7" one fits, and this is for a street car with street tires, then just put the 7" rims on the damn thing and be done with it.
Chris H.
Think he only has two 7's and two 8's...
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 6 2014, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 6 2014, 10:06 AM) *

TC

Click to view attachment

No Spacer ( there is a lip on the wheel that makes it look that way) and you can see by looking thru the Lug Holes, there isn't much to save.

Daytona, probably not

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Jan 7 2014, 08:46 AM) *

What about having the inside of the rim machined down about 1.5"?

See the 1st Qoute Post - nothing to machine
carr914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 7 2014, 12:02 PM) *

Think he only has two 7's and two 8's...

Bingo!
carr914
Good New & Bad News - I've been in Contact with Revolution UK

Bad News sad.gif - they don't make my wheel anymore, so I'll keep searching for a pair of 7s

Good News biggrin.gif - they told me they are coming out with new Wheels for a 914 4 Bolt pattern in 16 & 17 Diameters - I'll keep you updated
URY914
Can't you just cut about an inch out of the half shafts, weld them back together and have enough room? I got a sawzall and a welder. Bring it over Saturday. biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.