Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concerns about my car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I have a few concerns about the current status of my car. I am looking for suggestions to resolve these before I go driving it around. First off, the clearance on the front end. Here is a picture of my front spoiler with my foot under it for reference. As you can see, my foot is as far under it as it will go. It is touching my shoe. The front is all fiberglass and I am afraid the driveways will grind this down in no time.
skline
The second concern is the rear wheel. I have ordered some more shims from Engman and expect them next week, (Thanks Mark). Not only is the wheel angled in at the top, it looks to me like it has 4 wheel steering. The wheel looks to me like it is turning to the outside. When I get the shims, I will install them and pull the wheel from the back as I tighten it, that should help yes?
skline
Another angle.
skline
One more
Bruce Allert
I've looked at my rear tires & sometimes it does look like they are at slight angles. I keep checking the tire wear & it all looks equal so I figure it's my line of sight & the way I'm looking at the tire. While looking at fender angles and tire angles together prolly causes an optical illusion. IPB Image

A good alignment guy can put your question at rest.

Oh, and, Scott, I really like yer flares IPB Image

...b
markb
QUOTE (Bruce Allert @ Jan 1 2005, 10:27 AM)

A good alignment guy can put your question at rest.

IPB Image
Jeroen
Hey Scott,

Like the others said... The rear wheel thing is just a matter of alignment
If you loosen the 3 bolts at the outer suspension mount, you can move the trailing arm closer of farther away from the centerline of the car. This will set the toe
Adding (or deleting) the shims will change the camber settings

About the front spoiler... the place where you have your foot (in the pic) is close to the wheel, so that's less of an issue
How low is it more forward (middle of the car)?
jwalters
IPB Image You know--having the top of the tire "cambered in" is not a bad thing---it does makes the turns easier to navigate and as the arms and car flex in a very hard turn the tire contact patch flattens out considerably.

Look at all the BMW's and other Porsches--they all have a little inside camber to them...
Bleyseng
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 1 2005, 02:08 PM)
IPB Image You know--having the top of the tire "cambered in" is not a bad thing---it does makes the turns easier to navigate and as the arms and car flex in a very hard turn the tire contact patch flattens out considerably.

Look at all the BMW's and other Porsches--they all have a little inside camber to them...

Yes, its not supposed to look like a old bug where the top of the tire is sticking out futher than the bottom!

Geoff
bernbomb914
run a string on jack stands from the ft to the back on both sides, make sure the distance is square ft and rear. measure your front tires from the edge of the wheel on both sides. then measure the rear to see if it is equal this should show you your tow-in on all four tires. I hope I am right

Bernie
Jeroen
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 2 2005, 12:08 AM)

Yep, some negative camber is good
It's got nothing to do with the suspension arms or chassis flexing though...
It's just the tire contact patch moving in reference to the wheel
Brando
QUOTE (jwalters @ Jan 1 2005, 02:08 PM)

It's called 'kinetopneumatic toe adjustment". It's what automagically adjusts the toe/camber on the newer ones.
Gint
Crack your wallet open, let the moths out, and get the thing aligned.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jan 1 2005, 04:29 PM)
run a string on jack stands from the ft to the back on both sides, make sure the distance is square ft and rear. make sure the distance is square ft and rear. measure your front tires from the edge of theif it is equal this should show you your tow-in on all four tires. I hope I am right

Bernie

Bernie, do you mean to say a string is tied to jack stands?
and then what is meant when you say "make sure the distance is square ft and rear." distance from what?
Also, what's being measured when you "measure your front tires from the edge"

I'm trying to get a mental picture but my screen is blank IPB Image

Help to understand please IPB Image I'd like to check mine too..

.....b
Elliot_Cannon
Scott,
Make sure that when you leave a steep driveway that you don't have your toe under the front valance.
Cheers, Elliot
bernbomb914
yes, between the string, measure from the outside edge of the wheel this should show if the rear wheel is on the same path as the ft wheel. take in account for the tow in the ft wheels. if there is tow in it should be the same on both ft wheels.

there is someone out there that can explain this better than I can

Bernie IPB Image
Aaron Cox
alignment....

as to the front end... bigger tires? raise the front? shave the front?

choose the lesser of the wevils IPB Image
ws91420
Scott some specs from fact manual

Rear track width 15 X 5 1/2 is 1381 mm or 54.4"

camber at dead weight -30 +-20 10=0.473"

max differ l to r camber +-20
skline
Slits tried to tell me how to do it before, all I heard was lalalalalalalalalala, lalalalalalalalalala, hwfoarghnuervwefeqwjfv.

Those spec do me no good what so ever. I am just going to take it in and have it done. For some reason, I just cannot understand it. I think it might be a mental block. IPB Image IPB Image
JB 914
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 1 2005, 10:33 PM)
For some reason, I just cannot understand it. I think it might be a mental block. IPB Image IPB Image

Oohh i'm just gonna give you a pass on that little comment and let if fly right by IPB Image

But, that's it. only one per year. IPB Image
Steve Thacker
Scott ,

My car looks darn near identical in the rear like yours. Yes it has had a alignment and it handles great. Also my front in sets off the ground with the same clearence as yours. I do have to be careful not to go up steep grades like my drive way too fast. I have to come in at an angle and then up and in the garage. The straight in method scrapes the front. Eeeek

Four wheel independant suspension cars all have that same top-in lean. Some are a wee bit more noticeable than others. It increases the handling in corners. Go and have it aligned, if it is done right the top will still lean in a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.