Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 914 replica what if...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb123
Hi Guys, haven't had a 914 in 20 years, but still miss that car I had for a few months over the summers back then. I replaced it with a toyota mr2 that I ended up driving for nearly 10 years.

To this day, I check classifieds and ebay for a clean well prepped 914 (mainly a conversion of subaru or v8/930 box) and have missed a few over the years but they are rare and extremely hard to come by.

As I read so many builds here and stories, so many projects not completed or taking forever or taking forever because of rust and 40+ year old chassis....

I can't help but think would there be a market for a 914 replica? I mean a built from scratch 914 something (a la FFR 818, SL Apex) where there is a spaceframe or monocoque chassis under neath it that could accept porsche, ls1, subie and be designed with corvette c4/c5 suspension or porsche suspension and then a nice wide body that looked something like a sheridan body?

I'm guessing the body would be a big deal breaker for people that wanted the original look, but who knows. I'm curious on the community feedback. This was the ugly bastard after all but I can't help but think a lot of folks would be more interested in building a new 914 vs trying to restore something that probably will not be done. If this has been discussed before, sorry for repost. beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
I think the 914 did evolve... Sort of... Into a Boxster, Cayman and 918. Porsche has known if the mid engine advantage for more than 50 years. The Boxster was originally marketed as an entry level Porsche, just as the 914 had been. Ergo 20 years had passed between the 914 and Boxster. The Boxster even has an Audi/VW transmission along with other crossover parts.

If you are looking for a cheap ($) evolution, nothing will equate to the 914-4 price point. The original Boxster was close with a $36k MSRP in today's dollars. But the 914-4 was NARP. Ask any expert that has never owned one. There are plenty of experts!

The Carrerra GT may be the evolution. Who knows. Porsche will never make a "cheap" entry level car that is cheap enough for us cheap ass 914 owners... biggrin.gif
carr914
https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/
boxsterfan
I'm sure the Boxster **is** the evolution of the 914 in Porsche's mind. I think many of us here wish it was not. And I have even owned a BoxsterS back in 2002. Don't get me wrong, it was a very fun ride, handles great, a little low on power (ala 914), but just not a 914 if you ask me.

If they made a Targa Cayman, some might argue that this is the evolution of the 914, but I would disagree. What made the 914 standout is that it looked different from the 356/911's. The Cayman simply has the same headlights look of the 99x.

Probably needs to look more like this although I still don't care for the side scoops in this format.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve...4/photo_01.html

rosenfe
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 6 2014, 08:31 AM) *

I'm sure the Boxster **is** the evolution of the 914 in Porsche's mind. I think many of us here wish it was not. And I have even owned a BoxsterS back in 2002. Don't get me wrong, it was a very fun ride, handles great, a little low on power (ala 914), but just not a 914 if you ask me.

If they made a Targa Cayman, some might argue that this is the evolution of the 914, but I would disagree. What made the 914 standout is that it looked different from the 356/911's. The Cayman simply has the same headlights look of the 99x.

Probably needs to look more like this although I still don't care for the side scoops in this format.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_ve...4/photo_01.html

i have a boxster 03 s and recently got into 914s with a 73 2.o.i can work on the 914,much more computer and electronics on the boxster.as fun as the boxster is,im getting a lot of fun from the more basic 914.its noisy,rought,but handles well and has an appeal.i would probabley sell the boxster before the 914.plan to keep it forever,but then i like simple older cars.
brant
I think a tube frame kit car is cool. But not a 914. I can't see a kit making it
GS Guy
Not Factory Five, but RCR GTA. Custom front and reat subframes that attach to a stripped down passenger section tub, Sheridan (or other available fiberglass) bodywork, OEM interior/windows/doors. Multiple engine mount choices. Hmmmm.... stirthepot.gif
carr914
This is what should have happened - The VW Bluesport with a Porsche Version

Click to view attachment
damesandhotrods
I for one am glad the 914 production was ended. The 911 is remembered as the young trim air cooled version, not the heavier water cooled. Time and science marches on, we’re looking at roughly 30 + years. Like James Dean, or Jimi Hendrix the 914 will always be young and beautiful unlike the Marlon Brando of the 911.

As far as a new chassis, it wouldn’t be economically viable. Even with production in Mexico or China I don’t see the cost verses potential sales working out. The design, development along with the certification for sale in the US costs alone would be difficult to recover. Just take a look at all of the British Motor Heritage MGB shells running around. And they already had the tools, dies, et-al…
British Motor Heritage Limited
mb123
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jan 6 2014, 05:25 PM) *

Not Factory Five, but RCR GTA. Custom front and reat subframes that attach to a stripped down passenger section tub, Sheridan (or other available fiberglass) bodywork, OEM interior/windows/doors. Multiple engine mount choices. Hmmmm.... stirthepot.gif

This is exactly what I was thinking about how to get it done.

As everyone feels here, these things are mystical and unique in their own way. Many of us lust for these specific cars but will not spend years dealing with rust and 40 year old wiring harnesses etc. for long.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Jan 6 2014, 04:57 PM) *

I for one am glad the 914 production was ended. The 911 is remembered as the young trim air cooled version, not the heavier water cooled. Time and science marches on, we’re looking at roughly 30 + years. Like James Dean, or Jimi Hendrix the 914 will always be young and beautiful unlike the Marlon Brando of the 911.

As far as a new chassis, it wouldn’t be economically viable. Even with production in Mexico or China I don’t see the cost verses potential sales working out. The design, development along with the certification for sale in the US costs alone would be difficult to recover. Just take a look at all of the British Motor Heritage MGB shells running around. And they already had the tools, dies, et-al…
British Motor Heritage Limited

I don't know how it works here in the USA, but would you have to re-certify the 914 if you were building new chassis? Just the chassis that is....ala a kit car per se.
c12croft
Mb123
914s
If it was easy everyone would do it.
rick 918-S

[/quote]

As everyone feels here, these things are mystical and unique in their own way. Many of us lust for these specific cars but will not spend years dealing with rust and 40 year old wiring harnesses etc. for long.
[/quote]

You don't have to. 914 production was high. There are lots of nice cars for sale all the time. Just write a big enough check and you can have the nicest of the nice.
EdwardBlume
I disagree. The 914 should still be produced today. Porsche needs to think less about economical needs and make a pure every man sports car. See Miata...
Maltese Falcon

I will take the Jimi Hendrix signature edition 914 in Purple Haze aktion035.gif
Marty
r_towle
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 6 2014, 11:38 PM) *

I will take the Jimi Hendrix signature edition 914 in Purple Haze aktion035.gif
Marty

Pour another one dude....
carr914
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 6 2014, 11:33 PM) *

I disagree. The 914 should still be produced today. Porsche needs to think less about economical needs and make a pure every man sports car. See Miata...

If Toyota (Scion) & Subaru can do a Joint Venture today with a Boxer Motor, VW-Porsche could if they would get their Head out of their Ass!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 6 2014, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 6 2014, 11:33 PM) *

If Toyota (Scion) & Subaru can do a Joint Venture today with a Boxer Motor, VW-Porsche could if they would get their Head out of their Ass!

The rumor mill says it's coming in 2 years. Compared to the cost of a 918 Spider at $900k, the Porsche 960 has an entry level price of only $250k.
Slated to have a quad turbo, flat 8 boxer, liquid cooled . Nicknamed FeFi, aka Ferrari Fighter. The future looks interesting...Click to view attachment
falcor75
The 914 of "today" is called a Lotus Elise.....alittle lighter, alittle more hp, a chassis that can handle way more hp's than the manufacturer chose to give it...

Fun to drive...lil bit noisy....and a leaking top...ticks all the boxes....

;-)
dlkawashima
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 6 2014, 03:51 PM) *

This is what should have happened - The VW Bluesport with a Porsche Version

IPB Image

That's actually the VW EcoRacer concept. It had a small turbodiesel engine, a modular windshield which could be replaced with a cut down windscreen, and a modular rear deck lid (like the Smart Roadster and the Nissan Pulsar NX).

I liked the early renderings of the car's nose ...
IPB Image

If another VW-Porsche entry level sports car ever sees the light of day, it would almost certainly be marketed under the VW label. I don't think we'll see the Porsche name on any entry level vehicle ..... if anything, the Porsche marque will be moved more upscale.
ernestj911@gmail.com
I think it is a great idea. Just look at the Patrick Motorsports big-block supercharged 914. Not much of the original car left. I think it would be cool to produce a tube chassis and then the buyer can put whatever engine they want into it and a Sheridan body or other body kit.
KELTY360
I thought the idea was a 914 replica. Instead it's sounding like a platform for a supercar, which in part mirrors some of the specs of a 914. What's missing are many of the elements that make the 914 special, and still relevant as a sports car 40 years later.

Trunks, for example. Some people are willing to sacrifice the front trunk for a radiator to cool their high HP engines. Others are willing to cut up the rear trunk for tube suspensions or engine access. That's all fine and well for a hot rod and the 914 platform is well suited to that purpose.

But, the 914 was designed and widely promoted as a versatile sports car with breathtaking handling, that would carry two people comfortably, with a surprising amount of gear, in open air style or inclement weather conditions.

Seems to me, if you're going to build a 'replica', you should start from the initial premise; not some abbreviated, narrow view. I'm old and calcified in my opinions, but I bought one new in '73 because of all the things a 914 did better than anything else out there and, IMHO, 40 years later, no manufacturer has yet captured that same set of qualities.
Van914
KELTY360,
You have just described my 2000 Boxster S.
Van914
KELTY360
QUOTE(Van914 @ Jan 7 2014, 02:50 PM) *

KELTY360,
You have just described my 2000 Boxster S.
Van914

smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, can you carry two sets of golf clubs plus personal items for two, with the top off, for a weekend getaway?
c12croft
"calcified in my opinions"
Colorful, very colorful.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 7 2014, 03:05 PM) *

BTW, can you carry two sets of golf clubs plus personal items for two, with the top off, for a weekend getaway?

Seriously, top off? Do you have the golf bags to go with those clubs in the rear trunk too?
KELTY360
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 7 2014, 03:42 PM) *

Seriously, top off? Do you have the golf bags to go with those clubs in the rear trunk too?

Sure, but it's a carry bag without the built-in cooler, power ball washer and laser powered range finder. It's old school....like my 914. biggrin.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 7 2014, 04:03 PM) *

Sure, but it's a carry bag without the built-in cooler, power ball washer and laser powered range finder. It's old school....like my 914. biggrin.gif

Okay, sure, I know one carry bag easily fits, but two bags ..... and the targa top too? Please tell me what bags you have that'll fit under the targa top. I gotta get me some!
KELTY360
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 7 2014, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 7 2014, 04:03 PM) *

Okay, sure, I know one carry bag easily fits, but two bags ..... and the targa top too? Please tell me what bags you have that'll fit under the targa top. I gotta get me some!

Can't tell you a brand 'cause I hung up the clubs a few years ago, but I did it frequently back when I was playing.
mb123
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 7 2014, 01:31 PM) *

Seems to me, if you're going to build a 'replica', you should start from the initial premise; not some abbreviated, narrow view. I'm old and calcified in my opinions, but I bought one new in '73 because of all the things a 914 did better than anything else out there and, IMHO, 40 years later, no manufacturer has yet captured that same set of qualities.

This is exactly my premise of what the kit should be. Capture the essence of the original and improve where possible (engine/suspension, brakes, wider tires, etc).

I look at a FFR cobra as a perfect example of a kit that still has a trunk and this could too beer.gif

I was checking out the mad mechanics forum and guys over there have designed space frame chassis and bodies are readily available for lambo replica's. I would think this would be a good option for all of us that want one of these cars smile.gif
ernestj911@gmail.com
I would rather have this as a supercar than a Lamborghini.
struckn
Reading various magazines such as Road and Track, Car and Driver, when they review all the new HP Sports Models they tend mention how much they hate the
disapearence of the Manual Transmission option and how the steering no longer gives the drive the feel of where and what the car is doing? Many comments about the best Porsches maybe were the Air Cooled Flats for a true driving experience that makes you feel like the connection between Driver and Car are one. Music to my ears, don't want a newer improved 914, I'm loving the one I got. Do not Replicate, Restore.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.