Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorta OT: Garage sale Score
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I usually dont stop for garage sales unless I see something from the street that catches my eye like Porsche wheels and tools and such. So I head out to go to the auto parts store and right around the corner from me is this garage sale. I notice some large Craftsman power tools amongst the for sale stuff and think, hmmm. So I stop and walk up and the guy is pretty cool. He has this huge lathe looking machine sitting there and I ask about it. I already knew what it was as I have a few friends with them. Its a Shopsmith. He tells me it works great but he is moving to Idaho and cant take it with him. Says he has seen me working on the 914's over here for the past few years and never had a chance to stop in. Anyway, he tells me that he has to leave tonight or tomorrow to head up to the new house and really needs it to go away. He tells me I can have the whole thing for get this, $75.00 and he will even deliver it for me to my house. I tell him, uh sure, why not. It is way cool and does so much. It's got a band saw, a lathe, a belt sander, a table saw and all kinds of stuff. I can hardly wait to get it all hooked up and running. Here is the book that it came with.
Mrs. K
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Great score, Scott!!!!!!

Lisa IPB Image
spare time toys
My Dad had one of those when I was little. I remember he spent hours making stuff for the house. You may like wood work more than 914 work IPB Image ... be carefull IPB Image
skline
It's also a drill press. It is amazing what this thing can do. Do I seem a little excited? Hey, I have to do something with my hands if I am not going to smoke anymore. This will help a lot.
skline
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jan 1 2005, 11:39 AM)
My Dad had one of those when I was little. I remember he spent hours making stuff for the house. You may like wood work more than 914 work IPB Image ... be carefull IPB Image

I am sure I will find lots I can use it for on the 914 also. Dash inserts, door panels, it cuts steel too and aluminum. Its all in the blades you use.
gregrobbins
Want to trade for a rear bumper top? IPB Image

Another use for your hands instead of smoking would be driving your car. Sounds like your getting pretty close there too? IPB Image

Cool Garage Sale find, Happy New Year! IPB Image
Andyrew
Niieeecce

good score.

Andrew
markb
That would be all I need. Something else to get enthusiastic about. I'd never get anything done. IPB Image
Mueller
damn...I think those go for about a grand brand new.....
soloracer
I am sooooooo jealous. I'm looking at purchasing all the tools (table saw, drill press, etc.) separately that you just got for $75.00 Damn....... IPB Image
Engman
One hell of a deal! My brother had one years ago. Very nice tool!

M
TheCabinetmaker
Yep, you stole it! Congrats. The Shopsmith mark V is a quality made tool. Perfect for someone who wants to do small stuff in a limited amount of space. Takes up very little space when not in use. It also can be used as a lathe and a 10" disc sanding station.
skline
I just went to thier Web site and these things are bucks!! More like 2 and 3k for a new one. More if you start adding accessories. I just got it delivered to my house. It has a broken collet on the motor so it wont drive the accessories just yet but I fired it up and the motor turns way fast and its nice and quiet. I am going to order the part for it and get it on its way here so maybe next weekend I can play with it a little. I still cant believe the guy said $75.00.
soloracer
He probably saw you had a 914 and knew you were a cheap bastard that wouldn't spend any more than that. IPB Image
soloracer
To prove that I'm a cheap 914 owner I just bought a used 1982 4 post hoist this afternoon for $1300 canadian (Approx $1100 US). It's from a local high school and has a locking subframe. It's also three phase power but that shouldn't be a problem since I was going to put it in my shop anyway. It works great, all the cables look to be in good shape. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?
Gint
That's a steal Scott.
skline
Well, I got the thing home to my garage and started trying to figure out how it all works. Its actually pretty simple in design and extremely well built. To give you an idea, I did some history checking on these things. They started making them in 1954 and the basic design has not changed much at all. So much so, I just ordered the parts to make this thing do everything from the manufacturer and in doing so, had to look up the serial number. Going by the number, this unit was built in late 1955. My neighbor came over and said there must be some mistake, the thing is is outstanding condition for something that is older than I am. I will attach a picture of the actual unit. The parts are scattered all over the garage floor right now as I figure out what everything is and what it does. I think it is way cool. The fact that it is so old makes it even more interesting. The owner thought it was made in 1985. If that gives you any indication of how it looks. Try 30 years older. I am still stylin here.
Dave-O
My dad has had that exact same model for about 20 years. Great buy!! IPB Image

David
skline
Here is one on Ebay right now at 1300.00 bucks. The only difference I see is the one I got was repainted at one time to grey. I may repaint it back to green just to bring it back to original. Good restoration project. 1955 fully restored ShopSmith. Hehehe
skline
I dont think it looks too bad considering its 50 years old now. Works great too. Now I just need to get me some wood so I can make something.

Insert evil scientist smiley here
Bruce Allert
S C O R E Scott!!!! IPB Image

I've been following Craigslist FREE colum and just the other day a guy was GIVING away a Craftsman radial arm saw with cabinet. I ran over & grabbed it! I didn't expect it to be that great cuz it was free but to my surprise it was in perfect cond. The 6 drawer cabinet alone is worth a couple hundred. The saw has digital controls/readout & it runs so quiet.

I ran off & forgot a rope for tie down so I stopped at a muthafukinStopNGo but they din't have rope. While walking back to the truck a guy came over & asked if I needed rope! He gave me 100' of brand new cotton braided 1/2" rope!!!

Now that's MY kind'a day IPB Image

....b
Trekkor
When we're out my wife always wants to stop at the garbage sales. IPB Image

We do, but , I always start with, " Do you have any Porsche parts?".

Kinda embarasses her. rocking nana.gif

Nice score on the tool!

KT
boxstr
Scott you over paid, saw one Craigslist FREE Perfect condition, just come and take it away. IPB Image
CCLINCRAIGSLIST
skline
QUOTE (boxstr @ Jan 1 2005, 06:40 PM)
Scott you over paid, saw one Craigslist FREE Perfect condition, just come and take it away. IPB Image
CCLINCRAIGSLIST

Where is it at? If it is close by I would go get it. If its up by you, it would cost me more to go get it than to buy a new one.
TheCabinetmaker
Scott, the rails look like they have some rust on them. use some steel wool and wd40 to get rid of the rust, then coat all cast iron surfaces with Johnson's paste wax. Use it as you would use car wax. Apply a liberal coat, let dry, and hand buff with a clean colth. I do this to all my shop tools on a weekly basis. Oaky, I'm anal about my tools, but I've had most of them for 25 plus years and they still look and perform like new. #1 rule. Never set a liquid drink container on a smoothe cast iron surface. That will get you an invitation to leave my shop on your second offense (I'll let the first one go to ignorance of the situation, but after that, You have been warned!!!!).
Katmanken
OMG!!!!!

We're about to see Scott enter his new phase.....

The worlds only woodie Shalom with gen-u-wine wood spoiler and air dam will soon make it's debut: IPB Image

Followed by the wood wheels, and the wood lattice engine grille IPB Image

Next thing you know ground effect kits will show up in our for sale section........ IPB Image

Then the Ebay ads for wood 914 stiffening kits..... IPB Image

Oh the horror... IPB Image

Ken
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (kwales @ Jan 1 2005, 08:21 PM)
OMG!!!!!

We're about to see Scott enter his new phase.....

The worlds only woodie Shalom with gen-u-wine wood spoiler and air dam will soon make it's debut: IPB Image

Followed by the wood wheels, and the wood lattice engine grille IPB Image

Next thing you know ground effect kits will show up in our for sale section........ IPB Image

Then the Ebay ads for wood 914 stiffening kits..... IPB Image

Oh the horror... IPB Image

Ken

hahaha...so true....

make himself a woodie brittney doll IPB Image

hi scott IPB Image
skline
You guys suck!! Wood has no place in my car. For those of you illiterate folks, its a Chalon. Not a Shalom or Chalom or any variation. Get with the program boys. Didnt you learn anything in School? Had a cute young girl here last night. You would like her Aaron. Here is a picture.
Gint
No wonder your car ain't done. I wouldn't be getting any work done either looking at that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.