Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine mount question 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
im in the process of removing engine and trans .is the engine bar and transmission mounts the only mounting point for both.looking at different directions,there are 4 engine bolts indicated for my year.are they in addition to engine bar bolts as well as trans mount bolts?
type47
For a factory 73, I believe there are 4 bolts to remove the engine and trans as a unit: 2 bolts, probably 10mm at the ends of the engine carrier; the heads should be "down", that is, the nuts are up in the console. This is so that if you skid the bolts on say a speed bump, you won't ruin the threads and you would still be able to remove the bolt. The second 2 are the large bolts on the trans ears although I usually remove the 2 each 13mm bolts holding the trans mount to the body. So 2 bolts forward 2 bolts rear ...
cwpeden
Depends how you look at it. There is one bolt at either end of the bar and one on each ear of the trans. Some people choose to remove the 4 bolts holing the trans mounts to the body (2 each mount). I've done both and dont prefer one over the other.

Nevermind....too slow
rosenfe
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 6 2014, 11:03 AM) *

Depends how you look at it. There is one bolt at either end of the bar and one on each ear of the trans. Some people choose to remove the 4 bolts holing the trans mounts to the body (2 each mount). I've done both and dont prefer one over the other.

Nevermind....too slow

thanks,thats what i thought.
Cap'n Krusty
For the trans mounts I've always removed the 4 bolts holding the mounts to the body. Because the 2 large bolts are set at an angle, removing and reinstalling the trans is much more difficult if they're loosened (they're installed from the top, meaning they get in the way of the work).

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Jan 6 2014, 10:44 AM) *
im in the process of removing engine and trans .

http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.