Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something not right w/ clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
Well, pulled the trans yesterday. Went very well, thanks for the pointers. IPB Image

Hi-evah, something is just not right with the clutch assembly. When I first mated the trans back to the engine in august, I noticed there was no free travel in the clutch fork. I even pulled it back apart to male sure noting had gotten caught. Once put back together, I had to tighten the clutch cable to get the fork off the back of the opening int the bell housing, or the fork would chatter against the housing with the clutch out.

Well when I took it apart yesterday, I find that the top of the pressure plate is hitting the fork, which ground a groove into the fork. IPB Image
aircooledboy
Here you can see the part of the pressure plate that is hitting the fork. It it tough to tell in this lower res. picture, but the bottom of the plate in the picture is much more worn from the contact, and the top edge doesn't appear to have been touching the fork at all.
aircooledboy
I have heard talk about using washers as spacers on the pivot ball, but I'm not sure how that would improve my situation. It seems to me I need more clearance, not less. After I took off the TO today I noticed that the cover on the main shaft seal is held with bolts instead of nuts on a stud(might even be nuts welded onto a stud). I wondered if maybe that is where I am loosing the 1/8 of an inch or so that I need.

Lastly, I am going to go ahead and replace the clutch, since it chattered anyway, and now seeing the way the pressure plate was unevenly contacting the fork, I suspect it is warped. What are these clutch parts, and where do I get new ones (besides from Renegade)? The pressure plate has "KEP" on it, but no numbers. How do I know what to ask for (as far as the plate, disk and T.O.)?
tesserra
Send the pressure plate and disc back to Kennedy engineering in Sothern CAL. They kinda like to see how their products performed.
They will rebuild it and they may even have some pointers on why it failed.
This will save you some money and give you some expert knowledge and recomendations.
Good luck, v8 clutch stuff is sometimes tough.

George
skline
Do not add washers behind that pivot ball, remove the two that are under there. If they are not already gone. If they are, then you have something else that is a problem. Once I removed the two washers from there, I had no more problems with mine.
aircooledboy
Washers already gone Scott IPB Image

George, even if the pressure plate hadn't warped (which I don't thnik was probably Kennedy's fault) I would still have the clearance problem with the fork. Any ideas?
rich brennick
Chris,
Do you have a fax available? I can send you the official KEP
"How to properly set up a Kennedy 9" clutch into a 914, 912, & '66-'69 911 Porsche transaxle."
If not, here are the highlights:
#2... Replace the two studs for the guide tube with the two small bolts provided... This will allow for more release bearing travel. Use a locktite and tighten securely.

#3. Unthread the pivot ball...remove washer from under it, this will also allow more bearing release travel...

#4... the end of the clutch release lever on the transaxle should have almost a half of an inch travel to allow for future adjustment. This freeplay will reduce as the disc wears.

#5. If the freeplay exceeds a half inch or is under a quarter inch, you may bend the release arm, but usually it is not necessary. It is made of malleable iron so it can be bent hot or cold...

#7 The porsche clutch cable needs to have at least 1 1/2" of travel...
Hope this helps,
Rich
aircooledboy
IPB Image RICH!!!!!! IPB Image
I think I get some type of award for drawing the worlds oldest newbie into posting once again. IPB Image

Bud if you could fax that to me at the office that would be great. (815)962-2755

BTW, bend the fork, huh? With the extra force required to move that bigger plate, boy that seems like asking for trouble IPB Image

Happy new year IPB Image
914GT
When I installed the KEP stage III clutch on my V8 I had to slightly bend the fork. My bearing press made that an easy task. A little bit goes a long way, no need to overdo it. Before the adjustment I had some inteference between the fork and pressure plate.
rick 918-S
IPB Image HERE YA GO CHRIS!

Hey Rich! rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif Rich rocking nana.gif
rich brennick
Yep,
Still a newbie! Oh well...
Chris, faxing now as I peck away.
Happy New Year to All!
Sell the MGA yet, Rick?

47 degrees in Mid Michigan yesterday- walked in barn, uncovered the car, connected the battery and fired it up just so I could remember why I try so hard to be the best lurker on the site! IPB Image
BIGKAT_83
Rich IPB Image Great info on the clutch adjustment

Bob
aircooledboy
Thanks Rich, You Rock. IPB Image

Got the fax. Full of very helpful info I never knew. I'll be in touch with Kennedy about a new plate & disk as well as the special bolts for the tube.

Thanks for everybody's help, as usual. IPB Image IPB Image
rick 918-S
Dugging this out of the dark recesses of the post history. Chris, What clutch did you end up using and how is it working? I will be ordering a clutch this week. I only have time to do this once.

Any part #'s?
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
wbergtho
KEP has very good customer service. They seem to understand that by keeping the customer happy (they actually screw up once in a while...they are people too) they will always have plenty of business. Perhaps your clutch package is simply worn out and it is no ones's fault. I'm not sure of the mileage you have on those parts. I would strongly recommend you ask KEP what they can do for you and you might be surprised (pleasantly) at what you get back from them. I have alot of experience with them and I can say they aim to please.

Bill
Send the pressure plate and disc back to Kennedy engineering in Sothern CAL. They kinda like to see how their products performed.
They will rebuild it and they may even have some pointers on why it failed.
This will save you some money and give you some expert knowledge and recomendations.

aircooledboy
Hey Rick,

I just answered your PM, but for the viewers at home:

I ended up with a KEP stage II clutch and P plate, and KEP's TO for the package. I bent the TO fork too, but probably didn't need to, since the thin head bolts from KEP for the guide tube probably gave me the needed extra 1 or 2mm of clearance.
rick 918-S
Thanks, Got the PM. I'm calling this week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.