Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning carbon
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
After getting my heads rebuilt I am Finally getting around to putting my engine back together. Can anyone recommend a good (easy) way to clean the carbon deposits off the heads? Can this be done OK without removing the cylinders?
SLITS
Put it back together ... fire it up and pour a cup of water slowly down the intake(s) at 2000 RPM .....

or

in your case

Fine wine!
jimkelly
is oven cleaner NOT safe ?
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 6 2014, 06:57 PM) *

Put it back together ... fire it up and pour a cup of water slowly down the intake(s) at 2000 RPM .....

or

in your case

Fine wine!

agree.gif
Except the wine suggestion.

Oven clean is not safe inside a motor....no no no

you can use it outside, but I would not do it.

A wire wheel also works.
76-914
agree.gif w/ Schlitz. squirting it in with a bottle doesn't kill the engine as easily. Glad to see you back. I was beginning to think those "old charges" were brought up against you. stirthepot.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 6 2014, 05:24 PM) *

agree.gif w/ Schlitz. squirting it in with a bottle doesn't kill the engine as easily. Glad to see you back. I was beginning to think those "old charges" were brought up against you. stirthepot.gif

Three arrests, NO convictions. flag.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 6 2014, 03:57 PM) *

or

in your case

Fine wine!

Your $hitin' me right? dry.gif Water down the intake? How about a small brass wire wheel? Will that work OK? I don't want to damage the top of the piston. Is that even possible?
yeahmag
Water does work, but a squirt bottle works better. Just keep from stalling it.
r_towle
High pressure steam cleaning.
Google it, it has worked since before slits was born.
euro911
We use to de-carbonize using water while on a dyno (on running engines)

Pull the jugs off one at a time, stuff rags on the case opening and wheel them. You don't want to nick the tops of the cylinders.
SLITS
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 6 2014, 06:43 PM) *

We use to de-carbonize using water while on a dyno (on running engines)

Pull the jugs off one at a time, stuff rags on the case opening and wheel them. You don't want to nick the tops of the cylinders.

No wire wheel marks on the top of the piston either.

Water works

or

Brake cleaner & rags
r_towle
My concern with any type of wire wheel is all my wire wheels get smaller with time and use, and eventually there are no wire pieces left.....so they go somewhere, and you might get one lodged into the side of the piston, just laying on top of a ring, and you won't see it.
Then you know what it might do...

Use water or rags and cleaner.
StratPlayer
http://www.orisonmarketing.com/pistonkleen.html
jeffdon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 6 2014, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jan 6 2014, 03:57 PM) *

or

in your case

Fine wine!

Your $hitin' me right? dry.gif Water down the intake? How about a small brass wire wheel? Will that work OK? I don't want to damage the top of the piston. Is that even possible?

Hey Elliot....How many miles on that motor? I had about 8k on mine, and had some nasty carbon, but my plugs have always read a nice mixture. How much carbon and how fast the build up is natural?
SLITS
Ok Av8tor .... The water hitting the hot cylinder flashes to steam instantly, creating a shock which cracks the carbon deposits. They chip off and go down the exhaust.

As I remember your pic, the deposits are shiny, like being wet. Looks like oil. Try the Brake cleaner first and see if the deposit dissolves somewhat easily.
McMark
Why bother? Or are you planning on tearing down the engine to clean the pistons before each Concours event? av-943.gif

Seriously, everything you clean will be back on there in short order. Don't waste your time.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 6 2014, 11:34 PM) *

Why bother? Or are you planning on tearing down the engine to clean the pistons before each Concours event? av-943.gif

Seriously, everything you clean will be back on there in short order. Don't waste your time.

OK! Now this is an answer I can live with. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 7 2014, 12:12 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 6 2014, 11:34 PM) *

OK! Now this is an answer I can live with. biggrin.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Mark Henry
As a builder I've never liked the water trick... dry.gif

Wait a second...bent rods = more work idea.gif

Nevermind....carry on.... smash.gif
Matt Romanowski
McMark is right. If you're not taking it all the way apart, leave it alone. You're only going to get more crap in the motor and oil. That is not an excessive amount of carbon and will be back after about 10 minutes of running.
Bartlett 914
While you are in there,do clean what will easily come off. I had a motor sitting around. When I went to install it, it would not turn completely around. It was loose carbon that had fallen down causing the piston to bind at the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.