Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment for a restoration build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I've got a totally restored suspension bolted up to the car and everything is just mounted with with a snug twist of the wrench. Enough so it stays together when I roll the car around. Engine isn't in yet, so the car isn't carrying all the weight. What do I do at this point? Way too early for an alignment. Do I just tighten everything where it's at or is there a smarter way to get it close to right? I figure a full alignment will be in order after the car is actually able to go down the road, but will the initial mileage be with a car that's go wheels pulling in different directions?
r_towle
I use four jack stands, two pieces of string, and a tape measure to setup and align a car. I also use two 8 foot pieces of strapping.
Also a level and angle finder for camber.

Do you want to try this method?
It's super accurate.
toolguy
You'll need the full weight of the entire car with gas, on the wheels before getting an accurate alignment. . once you get everything assembled to that point, you can get it 'eyeball close' with a long 2x4 across the sides of the front and rear rims to set F+R toe generally close. . hopefully you marked the shim pack thickness that you removed from the rear when you took it apart. . . If not, use a level to get the rims vertical to start. .
r_towle
The front and rear track are different, so you just need to understand the process and it's not to hard to do...and you don't need to pay a shop.

Might want to get it close now, then once you put the motor in place it's not so far off.
I would not even bother with the camber until you have the motor in place.
Just get the toe right for now.
Rich
Harpo
popcorn[1].gif

Very interested in how this is done

Thanks

David
scott_in_nh
Here is how I learned to use string and jackstands.

It isn't difficult and offers a high level of satisfaction that you did it yourself sunglasses.gif
rgalla9146
double post, please delete
rgalla9146
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 6 2014, 07:34 PM) *

I've got a totally restored suspension bolted up to the car and everything is just mounted with with a snug twist of the wrench. Enough so it stays together when I roll the car around. Engine isn't in yet, so the car isn't carrying all the weight. What do I do at this point? Way too early for an alignment. Do I just tighten everything where it's at or is there a smarter way to get it close to right? I figure a full alignment will be in order after the car is actually able to go down the road, but will the initial mileage be with a car that's go wheels pulling in different directions?

even before a crude alignment, don't put it on its' wheels until you've installed rear stub axles
rgalla9146
another double post headbang.gif please delete beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.