Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Polycarb rear window glass A few of you were asing for these
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
A few of you were looikg for these and I made some up. Polycarb rear back glass. The polycard is lighter than glass and will not scratch as easily as acrylic.
I have them up them on the website

http://www.shop.914rubber.com/914-rear-bac...te-914PCRBG.htm

I have a piece of rear glass on the bottom one in the picture of 3 so you can ssee the fit.

I do have a second that was a mistake we scratched it with the cutting blade when we removed it. I'm posing it in the classifieds for $50+ shipping

Thanks all
palmer_md
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 7 2014, 08:53 AM) *

A few of you were looikg for these and I made some up. Polycarb rear back glass. The polycard is lighter than glass and will not scratch as easily as acrylic.
I have them up them on the website
Thanks all

Just curious. How much weight savings is there in this small window? I would think the bigger savings is in the sides and windshield. Do you offer those as well?
Woody
Can you also do side windows?
CptTripps
QUOTE(palmer_md @ Jan 7 2014, 12:49 PM) *

Just curious. How much weight savings is there in this small window?

I was going to ask the same thing. Well, I guess I could weigh one of mine when I get home and we can guess from there. I can't imagine the Polycarb one is more than 2-3lbs.
FlatIV
Any idea on how this will effect noise levels?
Mikey914
I will be able to to do the sides and front in acrylic as they have to be formed. I would possibly offer a flat version of polycarb for the front.
Weight savings is about 2-3 lbs, not a ton, but it adds up.
Mikey914
QUOTE(FlatIV @ Jan 7 2014, 03:22 PM) *

Any idea on how this will effect noise levels?

Should be simular as the thickness is about the same.
Maltese Falcon
Mikey, just curious on the material thickness ?
Put one aside for us , I'll pm you later today.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Did you ever plan on making a short run of this type of window;
as seen on member JM993RS car?Click to view attachment
Marty
Woody
I'd be down for a full set if you think you can do it.
Mikey914
They are 1/4".

I had not see the side window slider like that before, doable, but I need to walk before I run on these. The front windshield is next. I know most guys use a flat piece and screw it down. Would be cheap and "easy" I can cut those in Poly.
To form it I do need to use acrylic. I do need to make one before the other, so both could be cut at the same time.

How many would be up from fronts? I need to figure out the yields which means diggin into this a bit more. I have a fe wother projects that I need to warp up before I can give this attention, but if there is a demand I'll add this to the list.
-Mark
76-914
Huh? I always thought polycarbonate was softer and does scratch easier than plexiglass. Are the edges radiused or relieved to prevent cracking?
palmer_md
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 8 2014, 05:48 PM) *

They are 1/4".

I had not see the side window slider like that before, doable, but I need to walk before I run on these. The front windshield is next. I know most guys use a flat piece and screw it down. Would be cheap and "easy" I can cut those in Poly.
To form it I do need to use acrylic. I do need to make one before the other, so both could be cut at the same time.

How many would be up from fronts? I need to figure out the yields which means diggin into this a bit more. I have a fe wother projects that I need to warp up before I can give this attention, but if there is a demand I'll add this to the list.
-Mark

Acrylic is good for the rear window and even the sides and the top you offer, but I would not like to have an acrylic windshield. I would rather have Lexan/polycarbonate for the windshield for safety. Even if it scratches, its better than shattering and letting the object come into the cabin.
Mikey914
Plexiglass is a trade name for poly carb. They are basically the same. Acrylic can scratch easier, and can crack and break. It is used in aircraft windshields so I'm sure the automotive application is fine, other that scratching. It can be polished. Poly carb is ideal for a windshield, but it requires special treatment to thermally form it making the cost at least double.
ConeDodger
Mark,
McMark and I will be looking for at least the back and two sides for an upcoming race car project.
effutuo101
Low on my list, but, back and both door "glass" are on my list for late this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.