Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 914 restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
munksmotors
Hello,

A member of this forum named Tom Bliznik insisted that we put the restoration of one of our customers cars on the forum.

The car was stripped down to metal, patched and painted at a body shop that we have known for a long time and trust their work.
We had done something we consider a very important longevity upgrade to his floor pans first. We sanded the floorpans down to metal with a flap wheel and patched any weak areas. We let it sit until a light coat of rust had set in and painted the floor with POR-15. This does an excellent job of preventing future rust, we are BIG fans of POR-15 here at Munk's!

After that we cut out fiberglass cloth and epoxy it in. This is for stiffening the floor pan more than anything and gives the car a more solid feeling to the driver and passenger.

I'm going to post a link to for the "before" pictures at photo bucket since we have so many.

http://s660.photobucket.com/user/Munksmoto...rt=3&page=1
JawjaPorsche
Good Luck with the restoration. beerchug.gif
mepstein
popcorn[1].gif
billh1963
Looks like a big project. I like those jigs that allow you to roll a car on its side.
munksmotors
Thanks! We like the Jigs too! Right now the car is actually running! We have a rebuilt engine in with electronic fuel injection, I will get the company and specs for you guys if you want it.

I cannot get pictures inside the car or from above because we have cars beneath it hiding from the snowstorm!

But here are a few before pictures of the engine and some afters of the front and underneath. I'll make sure to get more pictures and better ones later when I lower the car.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=430
750]Click to view attachment

All the orange and black parts are powder coated, the "chrome" is actually a ceramic powder coat that is extremely resistant to heat, we have used this on a few cars now and we are quite happy with it!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=430
755]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

munksmotors
The owner Bob Newill brought by an SD card since the last time I posted, he has a very nice selection of pictures!

The first few here are how we receive the car from the body shop, they are not quite done with the car, once we have everything assembled on our end we are going to ship it back over for final fit & finish.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=433
511]Click to view attachment

I have a few good ones here as the fuel delivery system came together.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=433
516]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

More to come, I will post interior and wiring next.

pvollma
I would be interested in the company and specs for the fuel injection.
r_towle
You used fiberglass how?
You bonded it over POR?
Harpo
Looking good Munksmotors. Who did you use to paint the car?

Por15 has a product that I think they call power mesh that you lay down between layers of POR15.

David
Ferg
Looks just like my 76. Nice work. Where in MI are you?
Dave_Darling
Looks good. Some very nice touches, like that throttle cable bellcrank setup.

--DD
76-914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 25 2014, 07:36 AM) *

You used fiberglass how?
You bonded it over POR?

Rich, you can use Por15 as the epoxy. I have a friend that did a 60 Pontiac trunk pan w/ FG mat & Por15. Heavy but nice.
munksmotors
Wow, we seem to have some attention to this thread now!

Ok questions first, then pictures.

We used CB Performance for the EFI, "Magna Fuel and Spark EFI system" and their "Manga Spark II Distributor". They had excellent customer service as we installed the system and loaded the latest program.

When we install Epoxy over the POR15 we let the POR15 dry, then sand it to rough up the surface. We first apply a thin layer of epoxy, then lay down pre-cut fiberglass from our templates. The second coat of epoxy is laid down while the fiberglass mat is stippled to remove air bubbles and get good coverage. We have found this method to be very satisfactory with rust prevention, stiffening of the floor pan, and sound deadening. I may look into using POR15 as the fiberglass epoxy, that sounds like it could work quite well.

We had the company "Collision Services" of Waterford MI do the paint. We have known the owner/company for a long time, they have done very good work on several of our customers cars and our own.

And we are located in Waterford MI on M-59 just east of the corner of M-59 and Elizabeth Lake rd.

To start us off we have the re-upholstered seats, the owner has changed the interior color from beige to black. The interior panel that fits behind the seats is currently out getting re-upholstered in a material to match the seats.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

A few before and afters of the dashboard. The dash cover was done by Robert Budd of "Classic 9 Leather Shop". Check out his website, he does very nice work and he's active in the local PCA chapter as well. The door panels are the original beige painted black with vinyl paint.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=434
089]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=434094]Click to view attachment

Here's some shots of our lead technician Larry working on the wiring of the dash.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=434
099]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And this is one of our younger technicians Dan installing an aftermarket radio and and a hidden windshield antenna.
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
QUOTE(munksmotors @ Jan 7 2014, 12:41 PM) *

Hello,

A member of this forum named Tom Bliznik insisted that we put the restoration of one of our customers cars on the forum.

The car was stripped down to metal, patched and painted at a body shop that we have known for a long time and trust their work.
We had done something we consider a very important longevity upgrade to his floor pans first. We sanded the floorpans down to metal with a flap wheel and patched any weak areas. We let it sit until a light coat of rust had set in and painted the floor with POR-15. This does an excellent job of preventing future rust, we are BIG fans of POR-15 here at Munk's!

After that we cut out fiberglass cloth and epoxy it in. This is for stiffening the floor pan more than anything and gives the car a more solid feeling to the driver and passenger.

I'm going to post a link to for the "before" pictures at photo bucket since we have so many.

http://s660.photobucket.com/user/Munksmoto...rt=3&page=1

To my 914-World Friends.
I have no dog in the race, but want to say Munks Motors is a good local Porsche shop that does good work. I told Chris (owner) to post on 914-World, Chris knows his Porsche stuff. smilie_pokal.gif Let the fun begin. stirthepot.gif popcorn[1].gif
Tom

boxsterfan
Looks great. Would like to see more shots of the floors before and after POR-15/fiber/epoxy.
dlkawashima
My wife says I'm anal when it comes to details, so take this criticism with a grain of salt, but I think I'd ask the upholstery shop to fix the section circled in red below.

There shouldn't be any wrinkles anywhere on the seat after its reupholstered, so if there are other areas in addition to the one circled that are wrinkled, I'd ask them to fix those spots, too.

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Hey Chris @ Munk's Motor. popcorn[1].gif
Sorry for the interruption on the 1976 restoration, but what ever happened to Mark Matthews beautiful big 6 conversion?? Is it still at your shop or on the road?? driving.gif You always have lots of 914 projects in the shop & it's hard to keep track. Mark is a great 914er.
Tom, wondering??
munksmotors
DLK, Good spot!

We have found that with our vinyl seat covers (typically on VW Beetles) that there is some sag or folds in certain areas. You can heat these areas up with a heat gun and work the upholstery to fix the problem but you run the chance of hardening the material. We prefer to place the seats/panels under our shop heating elements and work it every day a little bit, it removes the folds/sags gradually and has very little chance of damaging the material.

Tom,

Mark's car is on the road! Not this time of year of course but he took his car home to wrap up a few things himself. I believe he had 1-2 good driving months before storage. I can't find any good pictures off hand. I'll get in contact with him and get some pictures or better yet, I will get him to register here!

-Munk's Motors
munksmotors
Ok long time no update! But we received the upholstery we sent out and got that installed. We also got some trim in place around the engine bay.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=442
180]

We also received his wheels and mounted new tires, we have yet to install them though.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

No huge progress as of late, but we have been working on another 914 restoration lately, I will put that up if the owner gives us the okay.
Ferg
I'm putting my finishing touches on my 76 as well. A twin to this car but with FI.

My Mahles just went out to be stripped, I'd love to hear how you did yours, they look fantastic! Are the Lips and raised ribs polished? Very nice.

Ferg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.