Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CG-914
On my way to work today I was wondering why my engine was making crazy noises.
I started to think that my recently rebuild engine now was falling apart because if the carb problem. On my way home I started thinking. That sounds like I have strait pipes on the car plus some rattling. Sure enough the muffler is broken. dry.gif headbang.gif stromberg.gif

So I guess it's time for a new muffler: (not that this is a great time money wise after the holidays...)
What alternatives are there to the bursch? Also money wise?
Pelican sells the bursch for the '74 2.0 for 255 any other place cheaper?

Thanks for any advise.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Find a good muffler shop and have them weld it up, might last till summer if done right
Jeffs9146
Thats just a weld job welder.gif away from being perfect!
I will be in Santa Cruz tomorrow but I won't have my welder with me! Sorry!
Maltese Falcon
CG-914, not much there but disintegrating carbon steel, a quick weld job = a band aid fix.
PM me for a more permanent cure!
Marty
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 7 2014, 10:26 PM) *

CG-914, not much there but disintegrating carbon steel, a quick weld job = a band aid fix.
PM me for a more permanent cure!
Marty

Sure but if you have a welder it will cost nothing and get you on the road untill you can fix it properly!
CG-914
Thanks for all the responds.

Welding would be a temporary fix. I don't have a welder and paying somebody in a muffler shop in CA isn't cheap ether. So I'm wondering, because this muffler is pretty rusty and will keep making problems, if I should save the money and invest into a new one.

What other mufflers are out there except Bursch and the Stainless steel ones from Chris?
I kinda hate to see my twin pipes, that look like the 911 sport mufflers, go...
boxsterfan
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Jan 8 2014, 03:16 PM) *

Thanks for all the responds.

Welding would be a temporary fix. I don't have a welder and paying somebody in a muffler shop in CA isn't cheap ether. So I'm wondering, because this muffler is pretty rusty and will keep making problems, if I should save the money and invest into a new one.

What other mufflers are out there except Bursch and the Stainless steel ones from Chris?
I kinda hate to see my twin pipes, that look like the 911 sport mufflers, go...

My car has the Triad exhaust with SS heat exchangers. A little loud for some, but you do get the twin pipes that don't stick way out there.
ptxyz
if the metal's not too bad, try classic muffler on winfield blvd. in san jose. andy the proprietor is almost painfully nice and i'd wager you'll be surprised by the cost (in a good way).

andy welded in new aftermarket cats on my '98 e430 for hundreds less than the oem one's would have cost just for parts.

if you do have swiss cheese back there, post up a wanted ad here. decent used ones are pretty easy to come by.

doh edit! used an old loggin, ptxyz - aka pt700...
CG-914
Thank you guys for all the offers. A friend still had a bursch in the box unopened.
I installed it early this week. Nice to have a working exhaust system again. I just think the sound is a little quiet though...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.