Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone know how to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
After much debating and meditation, I've come to the realization (reality sux) that if I want a car that looks like what's in my mind, it'll have to be all 'glass and I'll have to do it all myself. Has anyone here done or found a "how to" site on installing these pieces so that they look somewhat decent?

Thanks,
spare time toys
Do a search for my "kinda sorta gettn there" thread Youl have to do the 90 days. It shows installing a moded slant nose my red car.
Jeroen
Hey Dave,

For a street car, I'd stay away from f/g fenders and q-panels
(that is, I suppose you don't care to mount them using dzus fastners)

It's gonna be a PITA to mount them to the car on a decent way
Not impossible, but a lot of work to get good results
root
Dave, keep me informed as you go... I'm currently flaring my '72.
Just finished the front bumber fiber. see my post - FG Flares...
As of now I'm considering flares from Rennsport. IPB Image
djm914-6
I guess I'm really not so interested in a "great street car" look. I bought this car for a reason and had forgotten that for awhile. I wanted to build a track car for doing AX, DE and later racing. I kinda got caught up with the original /6 VIN search and concours stuff. I was thinking of the 908 and 910s I've seen where the fit and finish was not much of a consideration for the factory. My plan is to do it all on my own unless I find some structural issues hiding. Dzus fastners don't bother me if I knew what to do with them.

My latest plan (and last!) is to build a car in the spirit of the old Porsche 'glass race cars right down to the paint scheme.

So, with that in mind, let's see whatcha got. Jeroen, how's your car build coming?
brant
word of caution...
If you go glass and then decide to race later..
they will stick you in a seriously fast class, if they let you run at all

out here our vintage club would not allow you to run at all and PCA would stick you into a GT class, where you would need a 15K motor to be competetive...

just a thought
brant
URY914
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...19&hl=gt+flares

Here ya go...

Paul
djm914-6
Paul, I had followed most of that thread. Actually, that and rereading one of Jeroen's thread made me descide to go that route. Well, that and the lack of extra income to pay to have it "done right"

Shoot, by the time I get comfortable enough with a rear wheel drive car on a track, I'll probably be ready to move to another ride anyway. So, there's no real worry about being in a GT class race unless someone gives me a 908 motor to blow up. IPB Image

Anyone have some flose up shots of the Dzus mounting meathod... on a car with most of it's chassis remaining. I'm a bit nuts, but Paul is bloody crazy - in a good way. IPB Image

edit: By mounting meathod, I'm refering to the inside part as I see Paul posted pics of the fastener im the fender.
seanery
Dave,
I've got the pieces to do the same thing to blue car.
I've got the same pieces as Jeroen as well as door skins.
Hoods and trunks will come when I'm employed again.

I eagerly await pics of someone else doing it. IPB Image
Jeroen
Well, if it's a track car, go ahead and knock yourself out IPB Image

I got the fenders from rennspeed ( www.rennspd.com )
There aren't too many f/g sellers that have the complete fenders and Rennspeed was by far the cheapest in shipping it across the pond...

You might wanna call Air Cooled Racing, since they should be closer to you ( www.aircooledracing.com )

There were some close up pics posted recently showing some details dzus-fastners
It was a yellow six, very nicely build but the engine had blown...
can't remember his name IPB Image

And how my build is going? Well... not actually IPB Image
Tonight was the first night in over 2 months I spend in the garage
Jeroen
I tried searching... His name is "1973914"
the car had a big 4 not a six...

here it is...
LINK
go to page 2 of this thread
djm914-6
That was cool. I didn't see that thread before. I do hope to do a cleaner job than that though and use the whole fender.

I wonder if a cam lock fastener wouldn't make for a cleaner install too.
Jeroen
a dzus is a cam lock
it's as flush with the body work as you can get
in front, you could use the full fender instead of cutting only part of it
in the rear, that would be pretty hard (specially around the tail light)
Mueller
Dave,

If you want a "clean" look, 'glass in studs on the backside of the new parts....the attachment points will be similar to the yellow race car with the Dzus locks but you'll have to reach inside the fender to remove the nuts on the studs....which is fine for a street car, it's not like you have to remove your fenders quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.