Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It finally happened!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I FINALLY got my 914!

I started lurking on this board in September of 2012 after getting a call from a friend of mine. His sister-in-law had her deceased dad's 914 in her garage where it had been sitting since 1990! My friend called me up and said,"What am I going to do with this thing? It's only a 1.7 liter and isn't worth anything"! Fortunately I had a car that I had purchased in 2002 that this same friend had been trying to get from me for years. (Don't ask,you wouldn't believe the trade)!

The 914 is a 72. Since it has been sitting in a garage more than half it's life it's in good shape rust wise. The hell hole is beautiful. There is surface rust on the battery tray and in the trunk floors but nothing I can see that needs welding. The car runs but needs a clutch and some exhaust and brake work. It has a size-able dent in the passenger side door. Both door handles are broken. One latch for the top doesn't work. It needs some work but I think it will be a great jumping off point. I did auto repair for 20 years so I know I can tackle the mechanical, glad it doesn't need welding cause I suck at that!

I've wanted a 914 since high school,(i'm 44 now), when I had a friend who had one that was all set up. For the longest time the fastest I ever went in a car was my buddies 914.

I took delivery of the car yesterday from out of state but unfortunately have it stored 2 hours from where I am now as my house is being remodled. I had just enough time to meet the truck driver, receive the car and put it in storage. I can't tell you how much I wanted to comb over the car for hours, after having waited 16 months to seal the deal. Guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

I'll get VIN# added to the list.
Rotary'14
welcome.png

Welcome to the world,,,,,,Love to see pics when you get around to it.

-Robert
914bub
And a pic......Click to view attachment
914bub
Click to view attachment
2mAn
Congrats! Im still in the "lurking" phase, I need to sell one toy before I buy another, so Im waiting and watching...
Krieger
Congrats! Live the dream!
David_S
welcome.png
carr914
welcome.png
wndsnd
Good for you! Congratulations!

welcome.png

I like the pin stripe look. I Have not seen that before...

John
Mike Bellis
I got a replacement door in almost the same color if you need one.

welcome.png

rick 918-S
welcome.png
oldschool
welcome.png That's the kind of stuff we all had to fix laugh.gif ..As you know this is a great place to hang out.
McMark
Welcome to the madness! I'm sure it'll have friends soon.
r_towle
Congrats, but what did you trade????
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 8 2014, 08:22 PM) *

sanity confused24.gif
euro911
Cool. Loose the pin stripe though barf.gif

The car has good enough lines without them (in my opinion)

welcome.png

EDIT: ... and lower the front end
Erben914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 8 2014, 06:43 PM) *

I got a replacement door in almost the same color if you need one.

welcome.png

I have the drivers side on my car.
Thanks again Mike.
brant
awesome story
awesome car...

tell us what the trade was

and welcome to the madness!
Dave_Darling
Congrats! Now go out and get some jack stands... wink.gif

--DD
nathansnathan
Interesting wheels on that car, I think they are aftermarket, like these ones, not quite like the stock early steelies. it looks like it was non-appearance group and the bumpers later got painted black from body color.

IPB Image

IPB Image
jfort
Congrats on the acquisition! Hope you get it squared away before Spring.
76-914
Sweet find. welcome.png
malcolm2
It is either the wheels or the fact that the car is on the truck, but the car looks small to me, looks great, but small. Very strange.
914bub
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jan 9 2014, 06:22 AM) *

Interesting wheels on that car, I think they are aftermarket, like these ones, not quite like the stock early steelies. it looks like it was non-appearance group and the bumpers later got painted black from body color.

IPB Image

IPB Image

They do look exactly like the picture you posted. I think they are aftermarket and I can't stand them. Fortunately I found a set of Pedrinis about a year ago for a decent price so I went out on a limb and grabbed em. ........I'm glad the car came through.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 9 2014, 10:15 AM) *

It is either the wheels or the fact that the car is on the truck, but it looks small to me, looks great, but small. Very strange.

I think it's the tall ride height creating the "small" impression. Looks like a sweet car.
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 8 2014, 08:22 PM) *

I traded a "grey market" 1982 Volvo 245,stick shifted Turbo. It was a neat car and had a lot of little stuff that was different from US spec. cars.
old914dog
Welcome. There is lots of help here. I wish I could, but I am using both sets of jack stands.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.