Well it's time to unload a great car. I am selling my 1992 Porsche 968 coupe. It's black with a tan interior - hard top. A rare car, it's one of only ~4200 ever in the USA, more than half were the heavier Cabriolet version (it's not the even rarer Club Sport or CS edition which had to be imported). It's a 6-speed, not tipronic.

For anyone unfamiliar with the car, it's the final evolution of Porsche's front engine, rear transmission cars started with the 924 and continued with the 944. Stock engine is a 3.0L inline 4-cylinder, at the time the biggest and one of the most powerful N/A production 4-cylinder engines made by anyone. rated at just over 240 hp the car will go 150+ mph. I've had it to 140 mph at altitude, so I know it's still got it! I have the Cup-II wheels on it in decent condition, with very sticky street tires on it, the rears have about 20,000 miles left on them, the fronts at least twice that.

Perfectly balanced at almost exactly 50-50 weight distribution, the handling is unbelievably predictable when driving close to the edge. Very communcative, the car always lets you know well before you start to drift if you're pushing the edge. When you do break free (if ever), recovery is easy, unlike the 914 which has limits waaaaay out there but once you cross that line you'd better be QUICK to react! The 968 is different in that it has limits a bit further in, but it allows for slower, normal reaction times (you don't have to have some training to master it).

The car has 209,000 miles on it, so it's got some dings and dents, and a worn driver's seat. However, the top end of the engine is new - all new valves, remachined head, all done about 7,000 miles ago by Series9 (Joe O'Brien) and a machine shop who's name I forget out in LA (but I can dig it up if you want me to).

The price reflects the miles on the car and my need to sell it. I am asking EDIT: $4,000 - most 968s in the 150,000 mile range are going for $11,000 or so, and around $20,000 for under 100,000 miles. At least, that's what people ASK for them! YMMV.

The 968 is rare, but it shares a fair amount of parts with the 944, so maintenance is not too expensive - good Mahle oil filters can be found for $5 each in bulk on your favorite online bargaining site. In fact, it was originally going to be the 944 S3 but they redesigned it enough (Variocam, exterior reminiscent of the venerated 959 and with some cues from the 928).

Here's the CL ad for anyone who may be interested.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4289137255.html

It really is a fantastic car and would love to sell it to someone who knows and appreciates a great daily driver that is tough and reliable. I've cruised it at high speeds for hours with not even a hiccup or hint of overheating, though this should be noted. It's a great wasser-pumper!

Thanks for the eyes. PM me if interested. I'm in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, the town that shares a border with Albuquerque, just FYI. Car will come with an extra set of wheels (dog dish 928 wheels with snow tires in great shape - if wanted).