Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whittington Bros. Kremer 935 seized by DEA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
The DEA seized the Le Mans winning Kremer built Whittington Bros. 935 from a private race gathering held today at Mazda Laguna Seca raceway. Current owner, mega car collector Bruce Meyers could do nothing as agents winched the 1979 24hour winning car on to a flatbed, probably headed to a Salinas impound lot.
More to this story at early911sregistry.com
Scroll to the Drives, Tours and Adventures section.
This car has been a hot topic for decades, but in the DEA's ballpark now.
Marty
Having a difficult time locating story, can you please paste link?
Thanks...oh some good fella just did. Thank you!
euro911
I have a hard time understanding the story.

Cash transaction, the gubberment schmoes didn't get their palms greased? confused24.gif
seattleflyguy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 9 2014, 08:33 PM) *

The DEA seized the Le Mans winning Kremer built Whittington Bros. 935 from a private race gathering held today at Mazda Laguna Seca raceway. Current owner, mega car collector Bruce Meyers could do nothing as agents winched the 1979 24hour winning car on to a flatbed, probably headed to a Salinas impound lot.
Marty

This was a goon by Bruce Canepa who hired actors and movie props to pull this off. an hour later everyone was laughing. doing this in a public place in the days of internet was not wise.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(seattleflyguy @ Jan 9 2014, 11:57 PM) *

Marty

This was a goon by Bruce Canepa who hired actors and movie props to pull this off. an hour later everyone was laughing. doing this in a public place in the days of internet was not wise.

Makes some sense...Bruce is laughing in the photo while talking to the flatbed driver.
"Overhaulin" prank ...as seen on TV...BUT WAIT, there's more !
GeorgeRud
Back in the 70s, there was a lot of drug money flowing through IMSA (International Marijuana Smugglers Association), and there is a photo of Pablo Escobar getting into one of the Kremer cars floating around somewhere.

Interesting too see that the Whittingtons are still around and playing games!
euro911
Aha smoke.gif
seattleflyguy
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2014, 04:32 AM) *

Marty

Makes some sense...Bruce is laughing in the photo while talking to the flatbed driver.

Please spread the word. This is hitting the Porsche forums in a bad way.
rick 918-S
You have to be logged in to see the photos. dry.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(seattleflyguy @ Jan 10 2014, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2014, 04:32 AM) *

Marty

Please spread the word. This is hitting the Porsche forums in a bad way.

AM I missing something ? confused24.gif The cars owners have been selling planes to known drug smugglers, housing said drug smugglers in their resorts, and laundering money in several different countries. Both have done time for drug trafficking and tax evasion themselves. How could this possibly be taken in a bad way ? rolleyes.gif
Maltese Falcon
Photo-op all posing like the N.Y. Rockettes.
Looks like a big practical joke.Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Sounds like a great joke. av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 10 2014, 05:34 PM) *

You must mean the DEA?
carr914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 10 2014, 08:37 AM) *

Back in the 70s, there was a lot of drug money flowing through IMSA (International Marijuana Smugglers Association), and there is a photo of Pablo Escobar getting into one of the Kremer cars floating around somewhere.

Interesting too see that the Whittingtons are still around and playing games!

Pablo

Click to view attachment
carr914
^ I believe it was actually one of the 74 IROC cars later made to look like a 935
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 10 2014, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 10 2014, 05:34 PM) *

You must mean the DEA?

I believe the DEA agent in the middle in that pic is the guy who gave the WCR a tour of Canepa's shop and museum two years ago...
sixnotfour
Pablo, had a machine gun mount ........
infraredcalvin
My buddy who owns this ex Whittington car was there with his car, he said he was $hitting bricks thinking his was getting loaded next. Meyers attorney was in on it too, told him he was screwed... Canepa had them all going...

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
My neighbor took his V8 Lister racer to this gig, he said it was one good party. Someone even brought over a spare 917 engine just for giggles pray.gif
MartyClick to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
My neighbor took his V8 Lister racer to this gig, he said it was one good party. Someone even brought over a spare 917 engine just for giggles pray.gif
aircooledtechguy
That is one EPIC prank!! beerchug.gif

'Course, turn-about is fair play so Canepa should watch his back for a while. . . popcorn[1].gif
euro911
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 10 2014, 10:36 PM) *
... and they trust that $$$$$$ motor to a Harbor Freight furniture dolly? laugh.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 11 2014, 12:43 AM) *

That is one EPIC prank!! beerchug.gif

'Course, turn-about is fair play so Canepa should watch his back for a while. . . popcorn[1].gif

Especially if someone in the DEA takes notice.
produceporsche
It was produced by event and television producer Annie Walker, and movie producer, Travis Knox. They went all out!
oldschool
QUOTE(produceporsche @ Jan 11 2014, 06:20 PM) *

It was produced by event and television producer Annie Walker, and movie producer, Travis Knox. They went all out!

wish I was shooting this aktion035.gif
worn
QUOTE(produceporsche @ Jan 11 2014, 06:20 PM) *

Well that makes it fun for us all. A spare 917 engine, just in casse like. I have reached the magical age at which advertisrs give up hope. I have money, but i am not listening. Because i have a hard time caring about the rich and famous. Nice engine though. They did nice work on those. I have a picture of one on my wall.
Type 47
Had to share these from back in the day...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
worn
Amazing shot. Thanks.
Type 47
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 11 2014, 09:30 PM) *

Amazing shot. Thanks.

I guess I should identify some of the pics...
1. Wayne Baker & his GTU 914
2. The youngest Whittington bro on the grid @ Road Atlanta
3. The infamous John Paul Sr. making an adjustment for son JP Jr.
4. The youngest Whittington bro explaining to Bob Akin why he wrecked his 935
a914622
Ya fun and games until shots are fired! Realy? DEA or not there would be a fight if I owned them keys.
Oh wait it was in California it had to be fake. Never mind

Jcl
GeorgeRud
We're those photos taken at Mid America Raceway in Wentzville, Mo.? They look familiar as we used to run an IMSA RS challenge Mazda back in the day.

The track is now long gone.
euro911
George, did you know Dave Kent?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 12 2014, 07:25 PM) *

Ya fun and games until shots are fired! Realy? DEA or not there would be a fight if I owned them keys.
Oh wait it was in California it had to be fake. Never mind

Jcl

So... When you say northwest, are you anywhere near Ruby Ridge? sad.gif
URY914
Road Atlanta.

In pic #4 Dale W. is having trouble with his nose.

Too much coke will do that! laugh.gif
krazykonrad
That blue/orange John Paul 935 was built in Norcross, GA, not too far from me.

Konrad
Type 47
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 12 2014, 10:14 PM) *

We're those photos taken at Mid America Raceway in Wentzville, Mo.? They look familiar as we used to run an IMSA RS challenge Mazda back in the day.

The track is now long gone.

As already mentioned (sorry for the late reply...out of town for work all week), the pics were taken at Road Atlanta in 1981.

I actually live just a few miles from where MAR was...sadly it's a subdivision now. You can see parts of the back side of the track still. The subdivision is mainly in the drag strip, paddock, and T1-T4 area.

Pic below is what is looks like today, below that what it looked like in the day

IPB Image
IPB Image
Type 47
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jan 13 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Konrad

Yes the infamous JLP3 (which is more blue/yellow in person)
GeorgeRud
Actually, that back part of the track doesn't look all that different from what I remember. You'd go around turn one, into the woods, back out to the pasture area you pictured, then back up to the main straight/dragstrip. Really enjoyed those days running around these old tracks.
carr914
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 17 2014, 11:00 PM) *

Konrad

That is actually the JLP4 constructed by FABCAR in GA - Now Red & White and lives in Europe

Click to view attachment
Type 47
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 18 2014, 03:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Jan 17 2014, 11:00 PM) *

Konrad

That is actually the JLP4 constructed by FABCAR in GA - Now Red & White and lives in Europe

Click to view attachment

Yes, the picture you posted is the car I took pictures of @ Road Atlanta in 1981. I was confused b/c JLP-3 was listed as made and raced in 1981. JLP-3 may have been the endurance car, they may have been using both.
Type 47
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 17 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Actually, that back part of the track doesn't look all that different from what I remember. You'd go around turn one, into the woods, back out to the pasture area you pictured, then back up to the main straight/dragstrip. Really enjoyed those days running around these old tracks.

The part of the track pictured has not been touched and is just grown over from when the track closed. Turn one-four, half the front straight, and the paddock is where the subdivision is.
Maltese Falcon
Wow this thread has morphed into a much more interesting spin on Kremers, Fabcar, Werkes cars and old race courses. More pictures please !
Type 47
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jan 20 2014, 07:46 PM) *

Wow this thread has morphed into a much more interesting spin on Kremers, Fabcar, Werkes cars and old race courses. More pictures please !

Don't mean to hijack the thread...but you ask for more so here is a few more.

1. Bobby Rahal driven 935 @ Road Atlanta
2. Al Holbert 962 @ Road America
3. Electrodyne 935 @ Road America
4. Bob Akin 962 /2 Road America
5. 935 on pit lane @ Road Atlanta

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
carr914
That's Alwin Springer in Picture 2 by the Holbert 962
Type 47
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 21 2014, 09:48 PM) *

That's Alwin Springer in Picture 2 by the Holbert 962

I thought that was the case...I almost asked if it was in the post...I would have incorrectly asked if it was Allen Springer though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.