Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, can anyone tell me how to stiffen my peddle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J0n52 914
welcome.png

newbie here

what is the most effective, easiest, correct way to stiffen my gas peddle so it is not so soft and get a stiffer return????

is there a specific kit, stiffer return spring, or ????

popcorn[1].gif

looking for the knowledge of you who have already done this before I chase my tail or waste time. ya know, like adding more water to my radiator, took me a week to find it confused24.gif lol

thanks
saigon71
I picked up a pack of throttle return springs from the local Advance Auto. They had several double spring designs in the pack that gave a firm pedal feel.
eyesright
I changed out the spring at the throttle body with a new one from Lowe's. It worked great....

Here lately though, it won't return some of the time, so I added another spring in addition to the new that one I replaced awhile back. It returns fine again but needs a lot of foot pressure to maintain crusing speed. If that's your case too I suspect the cable is getting bound somewhere in the tunnel, or it and/or the pedal is getting corroded. As soon as the weather cools down a bit, I'll get out to look at it.

Psst,....please post a photo of the radiator. I'm still looking, I just didn't want to ask anybody....

ClayPerrine
Vitamin V? poke.gif
TheCabinetmaker
You could put a 75/76 throttle body that has the extra spring. Its quite a bit stiffer. Too stiff in my opinion. I'd trade you even, early for late.
J0n52 914
thanks guys

I will get a spring and try that out.

if i end up replacing and not returning to this spring I will PM you cabinetmaker and send this one to you, if not retained.

Jon
Black22
I added a spring to mine a while back. Great return on the throttle, but my throttle cable snapped after 2 months of use. I put another throttle cable in and took the spring off. One year later and still using the replacement cable. Go figure.

Good luck!
r_towle
A new gas pedal with a fresh spring plate in the base.
tomeric914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2014, 10:24 AM) *

A new gas pedal with a fresh spring plate in the base.

It's a simple hinge coated in rubber. The rubber breaks down and the hinge rusts, then binds or fatigues altogether.

Even then, a new one is a gamble too. It took 2 returns to Pelican to get a brand new pedal that wasn't bound up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.