Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Swap Q?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw505
I guess its time to start my motor swap from a 1.8 to a mildly built 2.0Lt. Soooo the big question is. Should I just drop the motor and leave in the tranny or drop them as one unit. I don’t want to get the "while I'm in there" syndrome. The only thing I am going to do is clean and paint the engine bay and place my oil cooler.

The motor coming out is just a rebuilt 1.8Lt W/ carbs and my 2.0Lt is a 2056cc with HAM heads, euro E cam, 44 Webbers W/32 vents, CB Performance distributor, stock heat exchangers with a Vintage Speed muffler.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vw505 @ Jan 10 2014, 02:56 PM) *

I guess its time to start my motor swap from a 1.8 to a mildly built 2.0Lt. Soooo the big question is. Should I just drop the motor and leave in the tranny or drop them as one unit. I don’t want to get the "while I'm in there" syndrome. The only thing I am going to do is clean and paint the engine bay and place my oil cooler.

The motor coming out is just a rebuilt 1.8Lt W/ carbs and my 2.0Lt is a 2056cc with HAM heads, euro E cam, 44 Webbers W/32 vents, CB Performance distributor, stock heat exchangers with a Vintage Speed muffler.

Been doing this for 41 years, and I've never heard of trying to R&R the engine in a 914 without pulling the trans with it. Might be possible, but REALLY difficult. Have fun!

The Cap'n
malcolm2
Like Krusty said... It is pretty easy to take it all. Plus you are painting? Just balance the whole thing and drop it. take the time to freshen up the tranny seals, etc...

My vote is take it all out. probably easier to mate the trans to the engine OUT of the car. I have done it 2 times, recently, and I can't imagine how I would have done it with the trans IN the car.

Have fun.
injunmort
as the cap'n said it might be possible but way easier to drop the whole unit,swap everything while it is out of the car and reinstall as one unit. good luck.
palmer_md
http://www.914world.com/specs/tech_engdrop1.php

Mark has a nice write-up here.
vw505
I guess I will start on it tonight. Wish me luck, I'm a first timer on 914's. Also, I cant remember were I saw some one do it buy just pulling the motor?
TheCabinetmaker
I doubt its possible to pull engine only. It would have to move forward about 6 inches or better to clear the trans input shaft.
Porschef
It's actually pretty easy, don't let the traditional engine/tranny separation technique cloud your thinking... idea.gif

The Krauts really did a fine job of making this a relatively simple procedure. Essentially four bolts and some peripheral stuff. Read up, take your time, get someone with some mechanical savvy to help, and have at it. You've been around here long enough to have picked up some knowledge...

BTW, it's a lot easier the third time... lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
And DO NOT forget the transmission ground strap!

The Cap'n
somd914
And don't forget to place plastic bags over the CV joints and suspend the axles unless you like CV grease smeared all over you...

As for my first drop, the worst part was the heater plumbing with multiple rusted, stubborn fasteners which I seriously believe took more time than anything else. headbang.gif

As for the "While I'm in There Syndrome", at a minimum on the tranny, I would inspect/replace the throwout arm bushing and retainer. Also make sure the shaft seal isn't leaking.

Sounds like a nice engine going in, congrats.
vw505
Lucky for me the motor was out a few years ago and most things were replaced. It's also very dry here so not much rust.
vw505
Motors out, now to order the broken and worn parts. My right motor mount was broken in two pieces and I need a fire wall shift bushing.
vw505
So some of the parts I know I need to change out right now are,
Rear main seal
Heater tubes
Fwd motor mounts
Intake gaskets
Where would the best one stop shopping be for them.
Dave_Darling
Pelican, of course!

GPR is a sponsor here, and they're a quality outfit as well.

There are other places too...

--DD
Chris Pincetich
I live in CA too and Pelican parts arrive quick every time beerchug.gif

I'll bet you $9.14 that one of the transmission mounts is also cracked or broken. Look carefully down the middle shades.gif

Have fun cleaning! beerchug.gif
vw505
Funny thing is the ones in there were new. The top ripped off the bottom.
vw505
Motors in, carbs set, throttle cable broken.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.