Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
So I finally pulled motor so I can start cutting rusted areas. I want to put motor on stand but I neglected to drain tranny of gear oil before removing from car. I was going to pick it up and drain all fluids and separate it from engine but I remember something on here about making sure of something before I drain it but I can't find info. What is the concern? Also what should I expect to do to pull tranny from motor?
yeahmag
Make sure you can open the fill plug first.
last337
I can't find any articles describing the replacement process on a side shift transmission. Does anyone have a link to one? Also, I have no idea what size the fill plug is. I know I don't have that size allen key socket. Can anybody tell me what size it is so I don't have to buy more than one? I also can't find an image of the drain plug on this one
ThePaintedMan
The right side of the transmission (in the orientation of it being installed in the car) has two 6-point plugs. The top is the fill, the bottom is the drain. You need a 17 mm hex socket to fit those.

IPB Image

Removal is very easy. If it's out of the car already, just unbolt the 3 nuts on the four corners at the front of the transmission holding it to the engine and remove the starter. That's it. beerchug.gif
mrbubblehead
sometimes a propane torch will help the stubborn ones.
last337
Thanks! They both appear to be in good shape so hopefully they come out easy. Now that motor is out its almost time to start cutting. Made a brace for door to hold things straight. Not sure if it will rack much. May weld a piece of 1/2" pipe along side of turnbuckle once I get adjusted a few turns pushing out to hopefully give some lateral support.Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
You don't need a list. Do like george said then pull.
Don't need to drain fluid. It won't come out if you leave it laying down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.