Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey Paddock people,
Heres the scenario-
4 hour track time at Sebring
After my last track day my clutch cable seams to have stretched. Had to adjust it.
I have a terry cable thats only a year old. The car is only a track car and gets no daily driving. Plan on using it for the chump race at Sebring. (don't want paintedman to be lonely). Any Ideas?

ThePaintedMan
Shane, when you say you had to adjust it, how much are we talking about?

They do stretch over time, but if it was a significant amount all at once, it could mean other things. Not a bad idea to pull the cable and check it for wear, especially before the next track day. Has your pedal cluster ever been rebuilt?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 11 2014, 11:39 AM) *

Has your pedal cluster ever been rebuilt?

What George is hinting at is that there is a pin which holds the clutch pedal to its pivot arm and sometimes the pin fails, allowing the pedal to rotate on the arm and seemingly cause a need for cable adjustment.
Another possibility is that the adjusting nut will loosen on its own if it isn't secured with a jam nut.
Jetsetsurfshop
Thanks guys. I'll pull the cable and look for wear next time on the lift. I never checked that pin, sounds like the possible problem. I do have a jam nut on it now. That was my "first fix".
Woody
Clutch cable tube in the tunnel can also be working loose.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 11 2014, 11:23 AM) *

You have personal experience with that?
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jan 11 2014, 11:41 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tch+tube+repair
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 11 2014, 11:46 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jan 11 2014, 11:41 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tch+tube+repair

Now thats why I like 914World!! piratenanner.gif Without sticking my head under the car, I sure the tunnel is loose. Theres a little bit if rust there in my car at the firewall. Thanks a lot.
ndfrigi
This how it looks after I fixed mine.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
If the problem is your clutch tube, you need to reweld it at the front (inside the tunnel) in addition to repairing the firewall.
The firewall connection only fails after the front bracket has been broken for a while, putting all the clutch force on the firewall.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 12 2014, 07:21 AM) *

If the problem is your clutch tube, you need to reweld it at the front (inside the tunnel) in addition to repairing the firewall.
The firewall connection only fails after the front bracket has been broken for a while, putting all the clutch force on the firewall.

Thanks Chris.
Ill be on it tomorrow.
bzettner
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 12 2014, 09:21 AM) *

Don't forget the "middle" attachment point also.
Jetsetsurfshop
Dumb question here. When the cable is "not attached" is the clutch cable up or down? My dad thinks he remembers that it should be up? Wonder if something is not correct in my petal assembly.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jan 25 2014, 08:52 AM) *

Dumb question here. When the cable is "not attached" is the clutch cable up or down? My dad thinks he remembers that it should be up? Wonder if something is not correct in my petal assembly.

Sir the clutch pedal is down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.