Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB - Adhesive for Face of Dash Basketweave
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
dgale914
Hey guys,

I searched the forum but didn't have any luck finding recommendations as to which type of adhesive is the best to secure the basketweave material to the dash of the 914. I have a new roll of it and want to stick it on once and not worry about it sagging or peeling up at an edge.

What have some of you used? Construction contact cement? 3M spray adhesive?

Please send me some feedback if you've had good or bad results with the various adhesives out there.

Thanks!

Doug
tweet
Spray contact cement, is what most upholstery shops use. There are different grades from light to heavy holds. It also depends on whether or not you would like to remove it in the future. Spraying both faces to be glued, will ensure better adhesion, but also makes it more difficult if you mess up and need to re-position. So don't trim off excess before you are certain, it is applied the way you want it. You also have to avoid air pockets. Air pockets expand and contract with temperature changes. that will cause lifting and look unsightly. It is really more in the prep and process, than the glue. As long as you use a professional grade adhesive, it should be okay long term. It's craftsmanship that is equally important.
orthobiz
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=194922

A member here constructed a google search engine, I just used it for that link.
Wish I could credit him...
Bookmark this:

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc

Paul
ConeDodger
QUOTE(dgale914 @ Jan 11 2014, 09:06 AM) *

Hey guys,

I searched the forum but didn't have any luck finding recommendations as to which type of adhesive is the best to secure the basketweave material to the dash of the 914. I have a new roll of it and want to stick it on once and not worry about it sagging or peeling up at an edge.

What have some of you used? Construction contact cement? 3M spray adhesive?

Please send me some feedback if you've had good or bad results with the various adhesives out there.

Thanks!

Doug

Hey Doug,
I assume you have gotten the other problems we were discussing on Pelican taken care of. If you want to take a look at the 6 mount reproduction that Original Customs makes take a look at my thread in the Garage. It's called "Just Another Damned Project Thread."
3M has a couple types of spray adhesives. One is Super 77 I think? I have had problems using one of them on car interiors due to the interior temperature reactivating the glue. Make sure you get the high temperature version. I think the other is intended for hobby use where the temperature is usually 'room temperature.'
And, I will make it out to a Trackmasters event. I didn't know you started NCRC?
Rob

I copied and pasted this from your 'signature.' I recall when I bought the trailer from you that you had bought another bike but you didn't need to worry about your wife because it was the same color as the one she knew about. I recall thinking 'That might work.' smile.gif So I assume that all these cars are the same color??? av-943.gif

TrackMasters Racing Track Events
1972 Carrera RSR 3.5L Twin Plug, 1973 914-8 302 Chevy, 1974 914-6 2.2L 'S', 1974 914-6 2.0L, 1967 L71 427 Tri-Power Corvette, 1967 RS/SS 350 Convertible Camaro, 1967 Shelby GT350, 1965 Oldsmobile 442, 1957 427 Lister, 1998 E36 M3, 1997 SL500, 1965 1915cc Dune Buggy, and 2 Spec Miatas. Holy Crap I have too many cars!
pete000
Super 77 will not hold for very long. I tried it several times and in time it will pop off. The best adhesive I have seen is not sold in CA nor can it be shipped to CA. That Sucks !

I am going to be trying 3M spray Yellow Super Trim adhesive.

I also Have Wurth Heavy Duty. It is pretty good.

Oh and why is this thread in the classified section?

I picked up a can of Loctite 300 Heavy Duty but havent tried it.

All are a bit expensive compared to Super 77.

Good Luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.