Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 70 914 convertible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John Paul
This is my 914. I bought it in San Francisco back in 09. I haven't been able to find any info on this convertible conversion and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the kit or if they recognize the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

r_towle
Beach Boys Racing made a kit like that.

Very cool car btw.
Can you show more details about how the top folds into hiding, and access to the engine bay??
John Paul
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 11 2014, 07:34 PM) *

Beach Boys Racing made a kit like that.

Very cool car btw.
Can you show more details about how the top folds into hiding, and access to the engine bay??

Im not home to get those pictures but it is very simple. there are 2 clips on the plastic behind the engine that the bottom bar of the top slides into. in front of the engine, beside the head rests are 2 bolts were the frame of the soft top pivots. and 2 tabs with quick pins on the top of the windshield. the deck lid is an insulated and carpeted piece of plywood held down with 2 allen wrenches. the top has to come off to access the engine. so being as I park it in my shop I leave the top off and drive it when the weather is nice.
ruby914
I saw one like that about 3 years ago in Redondo Beach.
It was for sale. I Thought it was cool so I took some photos.
ruby914
The photo I didn't get is the one I would like to see most. Where and how the front latches and what the fabric attaches to up front. I had guessed they chopped up a targa top.
Mark Shaeiugsfv (Euro911) had mentioned interest in a soft Targa top. After seeing how the back of the new Boxster Spyder is, I thought of combining both. I almost cut up my targa but held off to see one of these convertibles worked.
Then Elliot had a very nice design. I have to look back at that.
I hardly ever have my top on. I don't like it in the back because it makes it hard to get to tools. I have driven home from work in a light rain. This may be what I was looking for. idea.gif
John Paul
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 11 2014, 08:49 PM) *

The photo I didn't get is the one I would like to see most. Where and how the front latches and what the fabric attaches to up front. I had guessed they chopped up a targa top.
Mark Shaeiugsfv (Euro911) had mentioned interest in a soft Targa top. After seeing how the back of the new Boxster Spyder is, I thought of combining both. I almost cut up my targa but held off to see one of these convertibles worked.
I hardly ever have my top on. I don't like it in the back because it makes it hard to get to tools. I have driven home from work in a light rain. This may be what I was looking for. idea.gif

if I remeber correctly the two tabs are bolted to the top of the window frame instead of welded. The forawd rod on the soft top has 2 pins on both ends of the window that slide through the holes on those tabs, then slide the quick pins on like you use on a 3 point tractor. the rear body work should be easy but im not sure how one would go about leaning the windshield back further. the soft top could be reproduced by anyone with a torch, conduit bender, hammer, anvil, some round bar, and sewing skills. I might be able to get you specific pics if I am able to go home tomorrow.
Mike Bellis
I remember that car for sale. I was considering it too.

welcome.png
ruby914
QUOTE(John Paul @ Jan 11 2014, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 11 2014, 08:49 PM) *

if I remeber correctly the two tabs are bolted to the top of the window frame instead of welded. The forawd rod on the soft top has 2 pins on both ends of the window that slide through the holes on those tabs, then slide the quick pins on like you use on a 3 point tractor. the rear body work should be easy but im not sure how one would go about leaning the windshield back further. the soft top could be reproduced by anyone with a torch, conduit bender, hammer, anvil, some round bar, and sewing skills. I might be able to get you specific pics if I am able to go home tomorrow.

John,
Is the forward edge of the soft top in fact made from the original Targa top?
And welcome.png
JRust
Cool car overall. I couldn't ever bring myself to make one. Wouldn't mind picking one up sometime though. Post more pics when you get a chance smile.gif
914_8
The gentleman my dad just got his 914-6 from had another like this one. He said his was a Beach Boys conversion.
John Paul
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 11 2014, 09:45 PM) *

I remember that car for sale. I was considering it too.

welcome.png

I originally bought it to take home and resell. after I backed it off that trailer I drove it all over the bay area for 3 years. I bounce around the states more now so unfortunatly i dont get to drive it but a couple times a year.
jim_hoyland
Those air scoops behind the door handles are very cool. Several years ago someone on The Club board was going to make them, but....
r_towle
I would love to own one of those, but I am concerned about the fit and finish, especially the windows...
Spoke
welcome.png

Very nice car.

It's amazing how the look of the "boxy" 914 is transformed to a slick looking car with the loss of the targa roll hoop.
Luke M
It looks like a Beach Boys kit to me. The first time I saw one on a 914 was in the mid 80's. There was a guy at the White Plains , NY swap meet/ car show with the kit installed on a 6 IIRC. I have pics someplace of it..

Found the pics.
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Have the longs been reinforced? And Welcome
John Paul
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 12 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Have the longs been reinforced? And Welcome

What do you mean by "longs"
John Paul
I have got some detailed pictures of we're the top connects to the rear and windshield. I also got some questions on the scoops. They are fiberglass and look very simple to make I didn't have a tape but looked to be about 1' 1/2" long and around 3-4" tall with a 2-3" inner hole. I need to fix the one on the drivers side but I don't have a problem reproducing any of these parts in future trade for parts or cash. I can reproduce the convertable frame and cloth top too. If anyone serious is interested let me know. I will post more pictures later tonight.
ruby914
QUOTE(John Paul @ Jan 13 2014, 07:07 PM) *

I have got some detailed pictures of we're the top connects to the rear and windshield. I also got some questions on the scoops. They are fiberglass and look very simple to make I didn't have a tape but looked to be about 1' 1/2" long and around 3-4" tall with a 2-3" inner hole. I need to fix the one on the drivers side but I don't have a problem reproducing any of these parts in future trade for parts or cash. I can reproduce the convertable frame and cloth top too. If anyone serious is interested let me know. I will post more pictures later tonight.

icon_bump.gif Pictures of we're the top connects to the windshield. popcorn[1].gif
piss'n914
pretty clean looking...like it alot. but i'm still a fan of the original 914 targa top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.