Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Intro
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bzettner
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Figured it was time for POST 1. I stalked here for close to a year, bought my 73 1.7 in May. Only lusted for a 914 for the last 35 years! All of those other cars were compromises...the 78 X1/9, the 76 Scirroco, the 80 Scirroco S (bought new @ 18), the (2) Toyota 4WD trucks (both made into hard top convertibles), the 74 Ghia vertible, the 86 CR-X, all of the 1/2 ton trucks, the 09 Fit...Life, marriage, kids, divorce, mid life crisis', lack of garage space, all got in the way...the stars finally aligned.

I have learned a wealth of info from this sight and it has certainly helped me through a growing list of repairs that snowballed when the clutch tube broke loose. Until the next "need", it's all about driving pleasure and the roof is seldom out of the trunk...San Antonio provides year 'round driving...just not in the rain.

I have plenty of pics but I seem to be limited by there size? I'll figure it out. biggrin.gif
mepstein
welcome.png

Nice looking teener
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
scotty b
finally someone does an intro and posts pics without being begged smile.gif

welcome.png nice looking car smile.gif
anderssj
Nice car! The pedrini wheels look great on it. Interesting center armrest/console--more pics? Also, just curious--what size tires?

Welcome aboard!

welcome.png
jet1
Very nice car. Is that a custom center arm rest?
eyesright
Pedrinis, painted bumpers, and naked sails. The perfect look for 914's, IMHO. Congratulations.
euro911
Nice looking car ... silver is a nice color.

Now, drop the front end an inch or so aktion035.gif

welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
bzettner

Thanks, Guys! The arm rest came with it, I suppose it's a one of a kind that plugs perfectly into the existing plastic tray and the back rest...I've grown to like it. Tire size 195/60/15 Bridgestone Potenzas...just fit in the rear fenders. The car actually sits level and low, I hardly have any gas in it right now.

I've been deep and dark into the tunnel. I'm the son of a Mechanical Engineer that has designed, fabricated & machined EVERYTHING, my whole life. He was the welder/fabricator for my repair. You can see the J Hook/band-aid that had been installed in years gone by. The welding, as many have mentioned in threads before me, looks rough. It's quite functional and the bracket is plug welded from the outside as well. Kind of a precarious place to weld.

The final step was the multi step POR 15 dealeo in the tunnel. I had (2) "windows" cut for the front mount and center tube mounts as well as the cut out by the pedal cluster and the rear tunnel window to apply the stuff...I was pleased.
David_S
Good looking ride !! Welcome from another Texan !!!!!!!!
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif
steuspeed
Another ex Scirocco guy. I still have mine, but it's hard to take her out with the 914 in the driveway.

driving.gif
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness! Nice score! beerchug.gif
saigon71
Great looking ride!

Welcome to 914world and your mid life crisis. beerchug.gif

I acquired mine after 37 years of wanting one and told my Brothers "if I am having a mid-life crisis, I'm going to make it a good one!"

Cairo94507
welcome.png

Very nice looking car. Way to dive in; the tunnel looks great.
bzettner
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jan 12 2014, 12:17 AM) *

Another ex Scirocco guy. I still have mine, but it's hard to take her out with the 914 in the driveway.

driving.gif

Maybe it is my once youthful memory, but I feel like my 80hp 914 has more power than my MarsRot Scirocco S did. I have recently looked for hp and torque specs on the VW and couldn't find them. Specifically hp/weight ratio.
bzettner
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jan 12 2014, 08:11 AM) *

Great looking ride!

Welcome to 914world and your mid life crisis. beerchug.gif

I acquired mine after 37 years of wanting one and told my Brothers "if I am having a mid-life crisis, I'm going to make it a good one!"

Thanks!

The midlife crisis started 14 years ago when the large job shop I was running got bought out and the inevitable job loss...I am 12 years into being a professional yardboy till I figure out my next "me" screwy.gif
bzettner
QUOTE(eyesright @ Jan 11 2014, 09:41 PM) *

Pedrinis, painted bumpers, and naked sails. The perfect look for 914's, IMHO. Congratulations.

I fully agree. I've always wanted "paint to the roof" and small bumbers. Evidently this was a base model to get black trim around the sail panels and the black bumpers. Chrome on silver does not offer enough contrast. Flared & Viper Green is my dream car...of course with ample power shades.gif
bzettner
QUOTE(jet1 @ Jan 11 2014, 09:16 PM) *

Very nice car. Is that a custom center arm rest?

Click to view attachment

I guess it's made to order? Black vinyl, zipper in the bottom and very well made. All foam inside, the perfect elbow height and plugs in perfectly into the plastic tray and back pad!
Big Len
Nice looking car. Good luck with it.

You're gonna love it more with each drive.
euro911
So, a mid-engine car takes care of mid-life crisis? laugh.gif
abnrdo
welcome.png

From Kansas City!!
ConeDodger
welcome.png Congratulations on the new ride... Just a little advice though, don't buy another X-19 unless you enjoy divorce! blink.gif
speeder
Great looking car, looks really clean. I had always assumed that those rims were Mahles, due to their resemblance to "gas burners" for 911s. But I guess not? smile.gif
jet1
the mahle wheels are very similar to the pedrini. The noticeable difference is the raised ribs. I think the pedrini look really good on bzettner's car.
the first image is the mahle, second is the pedrini. (images off of google images from 914world users)
PanelBilly
Welcome. Nice car, What's your plans for it?
Mikey914
Welcome
bzettner
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 12 2014, 11:40 AM) *

welcome.png Congratulations on the new ride... Just a little advice though, don't buy another X-19 unless you enjoy divorce! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

For your viewing pleasure...1300 cc of mid engined, targa topped, non-lethal power smilie_pokal.gif
bzettner
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 12 2014, 08:45 PM) *

Welcome

Thanks to YOU! You provided my carpet, my vinyl, my rear window/body seal, my side marker and front turn signal seals... beerchug.gif
bzettner
QUOTE(speeder @ Jan 12 2014, 11:57 AM) *

Great looking car, looks really clean. I had always assumed that those rims were Mahles, due to their resemblance to "gas burners" for 911s. But I guess not? smile.gif

I too, ignorantly, did not know of the Pedrini's and assumed they were Mahles. Washing the backsides of the wheels and reading Pedrini in the casting (along with a 914World search) educated me...I like them
bzettner

driving.gif

Click to view attachment

I sold it within 6 months with 6K miles....I took a semester off from college to work as a roughneck and decided I needed a Toyota 4WD truck...not a bad decision, just different huh.gif
euro911
I miss my old '80 Scirocco. Right after I rebuilt the front suspension and all 4 CVs, got T-boned by a full-sized Bronco mad.gif
kerrvert
Hey there...great looking ride. Congratulations!

Say...if you're ever of a mind to give a guy some inspiration please look me up sometime when you're tearing around the hill country in that thing. I'm planning to build myself a 914 over the next few years. I've acquired 3 pretty hammered cars to work with so I should have plenty of parts. And I've spent a lot of time on 914 World schooling up on things.

The trouble is I've never actually seen a running, fully assembled 914 much less taken a ride in one. It'd be a real eye opener for me!

Take care...Jim
Allan
Nice looking car... bye1.gif
euro911
Headrage!
bzettner
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *

Headrage!

You lost me on that term WTF.gif
bzettner
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

My road to my first 914 has been a long one...fun, but long
Drums66
....WELCOME....(coool car ..don't change it!!)
309.gif bye1.gif
euro911
QUOTE(bzettner @ Jan 13 2014, 12:35 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 13 2014, 01:08 PM) *
Headrage!

You lost me on that term WTF.gif
The guy who posted above me, Allan (Allan Moore) use to go by 'Headrage' ... he hasn't posted here in a while ...
Woody
There's quite a few of us down here in San Antonio. Join PCA and come on out. Its a good time.
Woody
There's quite a few of us down here in San Antonio. Join PCA and come on out. Its a good time.
bzettner
QUOTE(Woody @ Jan 13 2014, 08:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

For the PCA AX, I did join already. I watched all of you at the last PCA AX in utter amazement at the clean shifts, raw power and torque your 914's "seemed" to have.

My father competed for years in gymkhanas (didn't call it AX back in the early 70's) and was quite good.

I raced MX for 15 years and now XC mountain bikes for the last 12 years but I have not competed in a car. I race bicycles, alot, so given timing opportunities I want to try it out! My 1.7 seems alittle under powered, especially if I miss a shift...I suppose I could bring my boxster? driving.gif
steuspeed
QUOTE(bzettner @ Jan 12 2014, 06:51 AM) *

driving.gif

Maybe it is my once youthful memory, but I feel like my 80hp 914 has more power than my MarsRot Scirocco S did. I have recently looked for hp and torque specs on the VW and couldn't find them. Specifically hp/weight ratio.

I believe 77hp was stock. Mine is around 130hp 2.0 bored German block, big valve head, AUDI throttle body, limited slip, 210mm clutch, TT Exhaust and cam etc... It gets up and goes, but the 914 mid engine RWD with only 100hp is a totally different ride.
ClayPerrine
There are also a lot of us in the DFW area.

If you want to see one in person, the next time I am down in Austin (for business or going to COTA), I will let you know.

bzettner
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2014, 09:52 AM) *

If you want to see one in person, the next time I am down in Austin (for business or going to COTA), I will let you know.

See what? A fast, powerful 914? piratenanner.gif I don't want to tease myself with knowing what my 914 could feel like with a few more horsepower until I'm trying to decide what my next performance/rebuild/upgrade to my car might be. My Boxster gives me and idea what it would be like...and I like it driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bzettner @ Jan 14 2014, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 14 2014, 09:52 AM) *

See what? A fast, powerful 914? piratenanner.gif I don't want to tease myself with knowing what my 914 could feel like with a few more horsepower until I'm trying to decide what my next performance/rebuild/upgrade to my car might be. My Boxster gives me and idea what it would be like...and I like it driving.gif

You can see the 74, with a "stock" 1.8L engine in it. Or my /6 conversion with the 2.4L MFI motor from the 911S. Not at all civilized like the /4, but fun in it's own way.

And I can be talked into seeing your car too....

Ferg
Sweet, another competitive XC Rider. Welcome!

beerchug.gif

bzettner
QUOTE(Ferg @ Jan 14 2014, 04:47 PM) *

Sweet, another competitive XC Rider. Welcome!

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.