Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FG Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
root
Happy New Year to all!

I'm looking for advise on going fiber.

I installed a Rennsport 916 bumper my '72.
I want to flare the wheel wells now. Can someone
comment on fiber flares 7", 9", 11" what size is best?
7 front 9 rear or 9 front 11 rear?

Converting to 5 lug seems straight forward but I need advise on
wheel offset and tire size.

I intend to continue to use the 914 as a weekend, good weather,

country road driver, (no concourse racing). Just want bigger tires,
little stiffer suspension, and evetually upgraded rotors and calipers.

My interest is to convert to higher horsepower after I finish the above.

But I'm stuck on the flares! Suggestions anyone? IPB Image
Aaron Cox
what motor are you running?
7/9 is a BUNCH of wheel......

9+ is insane! got 400 hp? IPB Image IPB Image
root
It's stock 1.7L now.
Most horse power it'll ever have will be if I
convert to a 6 with an old 911, say a
2.2L, like maybe 150-170 HP MAX.
IPB Image
pete-stevers
you can fit 16x7s with a 225 on the rear without putting a glass flair on, you just need to roll the lip,and dolly out the rear quater...on the front it is no problem to run sevens I run 16x6 with 205 and there is to much room. iwill be spacing the wheel out untill i get my 16x7s for the front IPB Image
DJsRepS
I wish there was an 9 piece FG kit for the 914. It would have 3 styles to choose from. It would inc front and rear bumper replacments, 2 rocker replacments, 4 wheel flares that run with the rocker replacments and the 9th part a little low profile decoration for the rear trunk lid...... And as a joke add a slim front hood scoop and mess with alot of people that dont know any better!
John Kelly
Have you considered steel? Have you seen what can be done with the original metal? Here is my do-it-yourself album:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/comm...d=9980138836765

I finally have 95% the video on my computer and am doing the final editing, so the video should be ready soon ( my first, what do I know). Simple techniques for anything from a 1/2" wider than stock flare... to a 5" wider monster flare.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
DJsRepS
It would be nice if same company could make a good front bumper kit for V8 guys to get better set up for their up front radiator
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Jan 2 2005, 04:22 AM)
Have you considered steel? Have you seen what can be done with the original metal? Here is my do-it-yourself album:

I finally have 95% the video on my computer and am doing the final editing, so the video should be ready soon ( my first, what do I know). Simple techniques for anything from a 1/2" wider than stock flare... to a 5" wider monster flare.

John, your hands are magical so naturally you think the tequnices are simple IPB Image I took a couple automotive restoration classes and shaping metal takes finese and practice...practice that wouldn't be a good idea on a 914 body IPB Image
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 2 2005, 04:18 AM)
I wish there was an 9 piece FG kit for the 914. It would have 3 styles to choose from. It would inc front and rear bumper replacments, 2 rocker replacments, 4 wheel flares that run with the rocker replacments and the 9th part a little low profile decoration for the rear trunk lid...... And as a joke add a slim front hood scoop and mess with alot of people that dont know any better!

That's a LOT of money for a VERY small market.
John Kelly
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jan 2 2005, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (John Kelly @ Jan 2 2005, 04:22 AM)
Have you considered steel?  Have you seen what can be done with the original metal?  Here is my do-it-yourself album:

I finally have 95% the video on my computer and am doing the final editing, so the video should be ready soon ( my first, what do I know).  Simple techniques for anything from a 1/2" wider than stock flare... to a 5" wider monster flare.  

John  www.ghiaspecialties.com

John, your hands are magical so naturally you think the tequnices are simple IPB Image I took a couple automotive restoration classes and shaping metal takes finese and practice...practice that wouldn't be a good idea on a 914 body IPB Image

Toby,

Actually, fixed panel shaping is a lot easier than more standard metalshaping techniques. There is no magic. The hardest part might be deciding what shape will look good. I think I have developed a system that any do-it-yourselfer should be able to get good results with. Skill is developed slowly as you shape...less skill is required at the start, more at the end.... but you've been learning as you work. Very simple, but a lot of effort.

Mueller
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 2 2005, 05:18 AM)

there are already a few companies selling all the parts you want from one place ....well except the front hood scoop, but that can be bought from Summit Racing IPB Image

the most common setup is the standard GT flare (7 and 9) with 16x7s with 225/50 front (one inch spacer) and 16x8/9s with 245/45 rear (spacer optional, depends on the amount of room between tire and fender lip)
neo914-6
panel shaping
IPB Image IPB Image
John,
It was nice finally meeting with you. I found out Ron Covell's shop is only about 40 minutes from me. He has a beginners class next weekend but unfortunately I cannot attend. There are many classes throughout the country. I think your inplace shaping method will be the way to go on my 914's front fenders. I will only run 8" anyway. I found a local metal restoration guy who may be able to help me with some parts I am designing. He works on Italian exotics and restos but is not too expensive since he works out of a country barn.
Felix
root
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jan 2 2005, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (DJsRepS @ Jan 2 2005, 05:18 AM)

there are already a few companies selling all the parts you want from one place ....well except the front hood scoop, but that can be bought from Summit Racing IPB Image

the most common setup is the standard GT flare (7 and 9) with 16x7s with 225/50 front (one inch spacer) and 16x8/9s with 245/45 rear (spacer optional, depends on the amount of room between tire and fender lip)

MUELLER,
Thanks that's the basic info I was looking for.
I keep changing my mind daily from FG to Steel.
Now I'm back to steel again! I'm definitely going to
do steel flares (welded ) IPB Image as of today anyway.... IPB Image
Just need to find a good deal on some.

Has anyone used the Auto Atlanta Steel Flares ??
John Kelly
Hi Felix,

It was nice to meet you too!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.