Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best, fast, and easy way to clean ....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
Just curious ... What is the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to clean stainless heat exchangers ??? The ones that I have arent really crudded up too bad, but it would be nice if they were a little cleaner before I put them back on. I could media blast them, but the wind here is blowing about 50 mph and dont really want to deal with dragging the blaster out on this crap !! Also thought about oven cleaner and a pressure washer .... but wasnt sure about that either !!! Any suggestions ?? Thanks .... David
r_towle
Pressure washer, grease remover, wire brush
worn
QUOTE(David_S @ Jan 12 2014, 11:37 AM) *

Just curious ... What is the fastest, easiest, and cheapest way to clean stainless heat exchangers ??? The ones that I have arent really crudded up too bad, but it would be nice if they were a little cleaner before I put them back on. I could media blast them, but the wind here is blowing about 50 mph and dont really want to deal with dragging the blaster out on this crap !! Also thought about oven cleaner and a pressure washer .... but wasnt sure about that either !!! Any suggestions ?? Thanks .... David

lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif chair.gif . Forgive me. The words fast easy and clean just do that to me. I am taking a break from the same sort of task. After the pressure wash, i suggest wire brushes either electric or had and solvent. The more nasty they are like chlorinated brake cleaner, the better they work. Also work over a drip collector and you can reuse the liquid after the rocks settle out. The big parts brushes that look sort of like stubby paint brushes are essential.

Good luck amigo.
David_S
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 12 2014, 01:47 PM) *

QUOTE(David_S @ Jan 12 2014, 11:37 AM) *

lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif chair.gif . Forgive me. The words fast easy and clean just do that to me. I am taking a break from the same sort of task. After the pressure wash, i suggest wire brushes either electric or had and solvent. The more nasty they are like chlorinated brake cleaner, the better they work. Also work over a drip collector and you can reuse the liquid after the rocks settle out. The big parts brushes that look sort of like stubby paint brushes are essential.

Good luck amigo.

There used to be a guy here that had a sign that hung in his business that had the saying : "OUR SERVICE IS FAST, CHEAP, OR GOOD. YOU CAN GET ANY TWO BUT NEVER THREE" !!! I seem to like fast, easy, good, and the cheaper the better !!!
David_S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 12 2014, 01:38 PM) *

Pressure washer, grease remover, wire brush

Thank You sir ..... That was what I was thinking ...along with a lot of elbow grease !!
saigon71
I used red scotch brite pads on a die grinder after a good pressure washing. Still took a few hours.
bdstone914
E-Z off oven cleaner works pretty good. Needs to be warm to work best. I used it or greasy trailing arms.
I would put them in a plastic bag. spray them down, seal up the bag and let them sit in the sun for a day. Can them scrape or brush the nasty goop into the bag.
It is important to clean the insides to not get oil smoke in the cabin.

As far as easy goes I would take them to a place that does paint and rust stripping. I took in a couple of pairs and the charged me $50 a pair. They bake them for 12 hours at 800 degrees and then acid wash them. Clean inside and out.

Bruce
TheCabinetmaker
Plus one on "barkeepers friend" and scotch brite or 0000 steel wool
Black22
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 12 2014, 02:24 PM) *

Plus one on "barkeepers friend" and scotch brite or 0000 steel wool

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.