Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: far OT: anybody familiar with the Jeep SJ series?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
basicly I'm interested in the Jeep Cherokee Chief, the ones with the full width chrome grill to be precise

Click to view attachment

of course I already did some google search, but there is too much information, and I can't figure out what is quality

I'd like to learn more about these cars, about the history, tech facts, the good, the bad ...

does anybody know a good quality homepage about them, or a good forum - just like the 914world ??

any input appreceated aktion035.gif

beerchug.gif
scotty b
http://www.ifsja.org/

The worst rust spots are the lower rear quarters. The gas tank skid plate is a nightmare rust wise. Swap the distributor out with either a HEI style, or even better is a Ford conversion. I can give you part numbers for all the pieces to do that. MAJOR bang for the buck when it comes to start up driveability etc. V8's particularly the 360 and 401 do well with an aftermarket 4 barrel setup, though most prefer the stock Motorcraft carb over an Edlbrock or Holley. Quadratrack transfer cases can be a major pain if they aren't maintained, and they do need a special fluid. The great thing with Jeeps is pretty much any engine, trans, transfer case, diff arrangement is fairly easy to put together.
billh1963
Back in the late 1980's/early 1990's I had a blue 1979 Cherokee Chief. A friend of mine helped me rebuild the 360 in it. Truck drove great and was very roomy. I'll look for a picture of it. We lived near Padre Island at the time and I sold it when we moved back to SC. Wish I had kept it...was an awesome beach machine!
Gustl
thanks for your infos thumb3d.gif

but could you repeat this quoted sentence with other words, please?
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2014, 10:07 PM) *
MAJOR bang for the buck when it comes to start up driveability etc.

I've no idea what it could mean ... unsure.gif

sorry ... english is a foreign language for me

beerchug.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 13 2014, 12:42 PM) *

thanks for your infos thumb3d.gif

but could you repeat this quoted sentence with other words, please?
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2014, 10:07 PM) *
MAJOR bang for the buck when it comes to start up driveability etc.

I've no idea what it could mean ... unsure.gif

sorry ... english is a foreign language for me

beerchug.gif

Your return on investment (fun, reliability, maintenance cost) will be high for your initial purchase expense. You get a good deal for the $$$
Gustl
sounds great w00t.gif

thanks pray.gif
buck toenges
I had a 1990 jeep grand wagoneer a few years ago. Liked the car. I added bigger front brakes to the car. It had a 2barrel 360 engine. I replaced the carb with another one for better fuel economy. The main problem is GAS MILEAGE unsure.gif Just couldn't get out of the 10mpg mpg. I was playing around with changing over to a hamilton fuel injection kit for it (I had done one on a IH scout11 with a 304 and love it) but decided to sell the vehicle. Good vehicles, you can get parts and upgrades but it is the crappy mileage that ruins the car. Maybe if you could transplant a jeep 4.0L straight six and get 16mpg it could be a good truck.
bulitt
Good point! These engines use alot of Gas!
Gustl
well, if I would ever buy one, it won't be as a DD
it should only be a fun car, a collectors car, so the milage is not the topic

as my teener, it would need to be as original as possible rolleyes.gif
Pass45
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 13 2014, 01:46 PM) *

The brown Cherokee is my daily driver I might know a thing or two about themClick to view attachment
Pass45
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jan 13 2014, 01:46 PM) *

The brown Cherokee is my daily driver I might know a thing or two about themClick to view attachment
Gustl
I've got a quick question

where should I find the VIN and the colour code at these cars?

could anybody show me a pic, please?

thanks beerchug.gif

r_towle
slow
handle like shit
get 3 mpg
heavy

major rust below the roof

messix
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 17 2014, 01:48 PM) *

slow
handle like shit
get 3 mpg
heavy

major rust below the roof

handles great!!!! ... off road!!! it's not a sports car!!!!

rust.... yah back on the salt the shit out of the roads coast!

mpg not quite 3mpg but better than my one ton.

heavy..... that's what you get when a rigs is built for off road reliability, iron tranny, iron transfer case, an engine that has tractor like torque, axles and frame that can with stand trails and roads that would destroy a car in just a few miles.

ephillippe
We're on our 2nd Jeep Grand Wagoneer (my wifes daily driver) after redoing the ignition and throwing an MSD on it we get 13mpg routinely (still pretty thirsty) and any better would require fuel injection, etc. However, we wouldnt trade it for anything, its timeless, comfortable and damn easy to find in a parking lot smile.gif
sixnotfour
My wife had a grand wagoner also, I installed a chev 350 injected and 4l60E trans and partime 4x4 transfer case, way better than the quadrtrac transfer case.. she put 50k miles on the conversion then bought a Yukon.

I always liked the two door, Gustl is looking for...good luck with the hunt..

here you go;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-Chie...=US_Cars_Trucks
Gustl
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 21 2014, 10:38 AM) *

I always liked the two door, Gustl is looking for...good luck with the hunt..

here you go;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Cherokee-Chie...=US_Cars_Trucks

thanks pray.gif

I already registered at the forum suggested above and started to learn more basics about these cars aktion035.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.