Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello from California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mohnliting
Hello All:

I stumbled across this site about an hour ago and immediately signed up. This is what I have been looking for.

I bought my 914 about 3 months ago. It is a 1972 1.7. I didn't know anything about 914s when I bought it. A friend was driving by a non-profit auto museum that sells donated cars to help its operations and happened to see it for sale. I was looking for something cheap that would get good mileage. They wanted $1900 and I talked them down to $500. It is a California car with an engine that runs great, an interior that looks pretty good and an exterior that is almost totally rust free (a dime size hole by the drivers door and some bubbles under the rollbar covering). The paint does have some chipping. But, after doing some research I realize just how good of a deal I got.

My biggest problem is the oil leak. I have another friend who teases me about keeping OPEC in business. I am leaking about 2 quarts a week and that is driving all of about 4 miles a day. I have replaced the oil cooler seals but it stills leaks like crazy. (I think I may have over tightened the bolts when I put them in.)

Is it possible to tap the engine and put a different oil cooler on the engine with a better seal system? Do I have to pull the engine to do something like this? I am in the Sacramento area and looking for any help that might be offered. I have to get the oil leak taken care of.

Sorry this posting is so long. I'm long winded in person too. lol

Thanks,
Henry
GWN7
Hello and welcome

IPB Image
dan10101
Welcome Henry!

Great deal on the car. Can't help with the oil leak, but I'm sure others will chime in.

We're in Modesto, and there are others up and down the valley. We'll have to do a valley run when the weather let's up.

Anyway, you've come to the right place.
Dan

Oh, BTW, rust is like an iceburg... IPB Image
swood
Sorry. No room for anymore long winded people here!!! IPB Image

No really.

I'm serious.

Ok, JK. Welcome. How bout some pics of the car? IPB Image
MXMARK
Hi Henry, Welcome to the fun. There is alot of info here if you do a search. There are some washers that might be missing from the cooler. You may have bent the coller. The seals might have slipped out of place while install. My push rod seals leaked like crazy before I replaced them. Maybe you could contact Brad and he can fix it he is closer to you then some of us. Thank you for joining Mark
Rusty
Check your oil pressure sender... leaking from there can very much look like an oil cooler leak! It leaks down from above the oil cooler.

Oil coolers are notoriously sturdy. Odds are, the cooler itself isn't leaking.

Welcome!

-Lawrence
rick 918-S
Welcome Henry, I may as well start this thing off right. IPB Image IPB Image Couldn't resist. IPB Image
skline
Where the hell is Elk Grove, CA? Never heard of it. Welcome to the club though, a lot of people here come from places I have never heard of. The only 2 things that can leak in that area are the cooler and the sensor. Check them both again and I would bet you find your leak. It does sound like you got a great deal on the car. You will need to post pictures however if you expect to get any help from these guys, They are real sticklers about pics of members rides. If they cant see it, they cant fix it. So post them pics. Again, Welcome and we hope to see you at the WCC05.
Meredith
QUOTE (skline @ Jan 1 2005, 10:21 PM)
Where the hell is Elk Grove, CA? Never heard of it.

That's a great welcome if I've ever heard one! IPB Image

But really, welcome!
lapuwali
Sounds like a good deal. I'd do a search here and keep looking for rust in all of the usual places. I've certainly seen cars that had bad rust in only a few places, and none if the killer spots, but that's not the general rule. Poke a screwdriver into the bits under the battery tray.

skline, Elk Grove is south of Sacramento on Hwy 99.
Carlitos Way
welcome aboard
pete-stevers
Welcome to the club, IPB Image from up here in BC
Great place to meet some great 914 folks
post some pics of your new ride IPB Image
Trekkor
Glad to have you!

I bought my car in Roseville a year ago.

Nice area.

KT
Maltese Falcon
Welcome to the 914world.com Henry,
you VILL like it here IPB Image !
Gint
Welcome Henry!

Two quarts a week is a hell of an oil leak. You need to get that oil cooler installed and sealed properly. They don't leak if done right. Maybe you just overlooked some little detail. Happens to me all the time.
Mrs. K
Welcome to the "insanity garage" Henry!
I'm sure you will love it here, as we all do! IPB Image

Lisa IPB Image
boxstr
Henry, Welcome from all of us at CAMP 914. I have been to Elk Grove, Ca. last summer. I met a fellow hot rodder at the NSRA in Sacramento, and he invited me over to look at a car he had for sale. A very nice 29 Ford full fender roadster.
Excellent purchase on teh 914, like others have sid check for a sender or push rod tube seals.
CCLINWELCOMEWAGON
Lou W
2 Quarts? that not bad, my friends Corvair leaks 3 quarts of oil a week. IPB Image
d7n7master
Welcome aboard Henry!! IPB Image
This is your Lucky Day. Well, okay - possibly your second lucky day. Welcome to the Premier 914 site. The best you'll EVER find. You've done well. AND - Damn. $500.00 for a runner with minimal rust is like buying a piece of automotive history for free!!!
If I had $500.00 invested in a new driver & my main concern was an oil leak, and I didn't know MUCK about the car - I would have it TOWED to somewhere local & let them do the doo. Then, buy a good teener shop-repair manual & read it over & over - after your teener no longer leaks oil.
Dood, you SCORED!!! But hey, if you change your mind, teeners really are a PITA so I'll do you a BIG favor & give you $600.00 for it today. You can even let it leak on my driveway while we exchange ownership. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Welcome to the club man. Sounds like you got a great deal. Must be something about the Sac. area, I got mine in a town just north of Sac and think I got a good deal as well. It did take a couple hundred extra to get it running but hey that's the fun. Hope you like working on your car, cause if ya don't get ready to open up that wallet.

Sure is fun to drive though! IPB Image

I'll say to check those oil cooler seals cause they can be a bitch to get to stay in the right place while installing. Must smell pretty good when running huh?

Sean
type47fan
Oh, Henry, welcome! Great to have you here. You'll find the atmosphere both informative and supportive. There's a wealth of experience, knowledge, and enthusiasm that can't be matched elsewhere (at least as far as 914s are concerned).

Are you sure the leak is coming from the oil cooler mounting/sealing area? Could be a burst tube in the cooler or a leak from elsewhere on the case. I'm sure you've already done this, however, if not, make sure everything is really clean so the source of the leak is easy to spot.

Anyway, you've picked a great way to start off the new year!

Best regards,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.