Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I've had my '74 2.0 for a little over four years now. And driving it today was almost like driving a new car.

When I bought it, the engine was tired and making poor compression and a nasty noise. The trans was old and tired. In the intervening years, there have been a bunch of small projects -- clutch, starter, fuel pump, master cylinder, etc.

Over the summer, I had the engine rebuilt into a 2056 and rebuilt the transmission with Dr Evil. The car was back together just before Thanksgiving, but I was still having a little trouble shifting, and I wanted to go easy on the engine for the first couple hundred miles. Then, a couple weeks ago, the thermostat cable seemed to come loose, leaving the cooling flaps permanently open.

I suspected that the shifting troubles might be due to looseness in the clutch. This morning, I got the car up on ramps. The clutch cable nut was tightened down all the way, but there was still too much play in the cable. I found a tube-shaped piece of sturdy plastic and put it on as a spacer. Suddenly, all my first gear & reverse shifting woes were gone.

While I was under there, I looked to see what was wrong with the thermostat cable... turned out, it had jumped off the pulley. After some dexterous finagling and heating the bellows with a butane lighter, I got it back into place.

I know it's not much, but tightening the clutch cable and fixing the thermostat cable was probably my most successful DIY day ever.

So in the afternoon, I went for a drive... for the first time in a 914 with a 2056 making full power, a BRILLIANTLY shifting Evilwerks-rebuilt transmission, a properly adjusted clutch, and pretty much everything else working the way it should.

Hard to believe after 4 years of ownership I've just now had what the 914 experience was supposed to be all along.

Just wanted to say Thanks to 914World for the guidance and inspiration and tell those of you considering projects to git 'er done!

smilie_pokal.gif
PanelBilly
What? no video
flipb
Sorry, the only photos I took all day were with dat ass in the air when I was working this morning.

Today's drive was all about the driving. I'll try to make a video of one of my favorite routes one of these days, maybe in Spring.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
flipb
My wife snapped a couple, too.

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
Fantastic!
I surely know how nice it can be to fix a few annoying (or dbilitating) problems that have bothered you for a long time then drive the car. We focus on the big stuff but the little stuff makes a huge difference in enjoyment.

Congrats and enjoy more of it. (You picked a good day for a drive)

Eric
bzettner
When my clutch tube was "failing", I was able to adjust the cable and keep driving. It might be worth a look next time you're car is on the ramps, with your wife's help, to see if the clutch tube moves at the fire wall when wifey push the clutch pedal.

Your car looks beautiful and I'm sure, with everything new/rebuilt, adjustments have to be made...but my clutch tube failure caught me by surprise.

Enjoy the drive! driving.gif

saigon71
Flip:

I had about the same time frame (4 years) for my first drive. Congratulations on this milestone...and your car looks awesome!

Many more drives to come. driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

How about a drive to Hershey in April so we can see it live?

Bob
JawjaPorsche
Awesome! Most clutch cables have to use a metal barrel or something to adjust your clutch cable properly. I don't know why they don't come with the proper length.

Your teener looks great!

beerchug.gif
JStroud
It's very satisfying going for the first drive after that much work. first.gif
You must have enjoyed the 2056, compared to a tired 2.0, I was pleasantly surprised at the difference when I first drove mine, loved the extra torque.

At least now you should be able to have years of driving without to much going wrong.

Jeff
oldschool
QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 12 2014, 06:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey, I have a pair of ramps like the ones you're using..are they safe?
I want to use for my MGB.
jfort
Congrats! I am envious that you can drive it there. Too much snow and salt here.
johannes
congrats , that must have been a blast ...

flipb
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 13 2014, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Jan 12 2014, 06:56 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hey, I have a pair of ramps like the ones you're using..are they safe?
I want to use for my MGB.

I bought them years ago to change the oil in a front-engined, FWD car. I presume they had a lot more weight on them back then compared to the 914. And of course I always chock the front wheels.
Mblizzard
I am looking forward to doing the Dr Evil clinic in VA to address my tannys short comings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.