Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 31 years I'm coming back to a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
f1rocks
So my first car in high school was a 1.7L that came to me in two pieces, front have and back half. 31 years later I decided I needed another air cooled car smile.gif

First time on 914 World, I've been racing 944's for about 7 years but wanted something to go SVRA with. I'll likely have a few questions.

Name is Brent, live in Nashville TNClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
GaroldShaffer
welcome.png Nice car aktion035.gif
jfort
that looks like fun
ConeDodger
welcome.png
JRust
welcome.png Nice! Thats coming back for some serious fun. Congrats piratenanner.gif
johannes
Welcome to the world ... Literally ...

brant
cool and welcome!

as a vintage race eligibility person out in colorado
read the rule book first

pca class cars usually need a lot of technology to be "undone" for vintage racing
f1rocks
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 13 2014, 03:23 PM) *

cool and welcome!

as a vintage race eligibility person out in colorado
read the rule book first

pca class cars usually need a lot of technology to be "undone" for vintage racing

Yes, I'm pouring through the rule books now. It will likely get put into group 10 which is a bit of a catch all (at COTA this year they had a Porsche Spyder DHL Penske car in group 10) Because this is a semi tube chassis car, with almost all fiberglass body components, I won't be in a favorable group.

I'm not planning on "winning" much with the vintage crowd although my competitive spirit will likely kick in, I'll be outgunned for the class they put me in. Doing this more for the social aspect. I'm still running a 944 with PCA to make the points battles.

My best friend runs a Formula Ford so we do the vintage thing just for the fun factor.
brant
Hope to see you at COTA in the fall
we can share a beer at the end of the day
JawjaPorsche
Welcome to the madness! We are glad you are here. beerchug.gif
carr914
Welcome (Back) Brent!

welcome.png
somd914
welcome.png

Love the makeshift longitudinal on your original car. Looks like you stepped up a little bit!
f1rocks
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 13 2014, 04:23 PM) *

welcome.png

Love the makeshift longitudinal on your original car. Looks like you stepped up a little bit!

The car was sagging down the middle. My cousins may have procured some octagonal shaped steel for the floor boards and the two longitudinals held up the rest.

I remember driving home one night with my brother, on time but barely for curfew. We hit a bump and the front bumper let go on one side. We were for sure going to be late, my brother said pop the front trunk. He climbed in pulled down the hood, held up the bumper and away we went. Laughed for a while that night when we got home.
rick 918-S
welcome.png
nolift914
welcome.png
green914
welcome.png
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(f1rocks @ Jan 13 2014, 05:55 PM) *

So my first car in high school was a 1.7L that came to me in two pieces, front have and back half. 31 years later I decided I needed another air cooled car smile.gif

First time on 914 World, I've been racing 944's for about 7 years but wanted something to go SVRA with. I'll likely have a few questions.

Name is Brent, live in Nashville TNClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

Have you found a 914 to buy yet? Bob
ClayPerrine
If you are coming to COTA in the fall, let me know. Betty and I will be there and we would like to stop by and say "Howdy".

f1rocks
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Jan 14 2014, 05:37 AM) *

Does the 914 World crowd not condone modified 914's like this one? The bones are still a 914....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(f1rocks @ Jan 14 2014, 01:17 PM) *

Does the 914 World crowd not condone modified 914's like this one? The bones are still a 914....

LOL.... some of the cars here are a lot less 914 that yours. Check out URY's 914. There really isn't much left of the car that left the factory.

Or the V-8 conversions, or the Subaru conversions, or the rotary conversions, or the ones with the body kits.........
naro914
Brent? as in Knoll?

brant
QUOTE(f1rocks @ Jan 14 2014, 12:17 PM) *

I think Bob's just trying to sell a car and didn't pick up on the fact that you already bought one....

nothing ment by it... just a mis communication I believe
naro914
If it IS Brent Knoll...he's just an overly sensitive kinda guy.. (he owns a 944...)
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 14 2014, 04:09 PM) *

I think Bob's just trying to sell a car and didn't pick up on the fact that you already bought one....

nothing ment by it... just a mis communication I believe

Did I step in something? Bob
f1rocks
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 14 2014, 01:39 PM) *

If it IS Brent Knoll...he's just an overly sensitive kinda guy.. (he owns a 944...)

Yes Bob, it is Brent Knoll. Bought Rodenroth's Ole Yeller to do some vintage stuff with Repka and his Formula Ford. Figured since I'm on a 13 month sabbatical from the PCA stuff I'll go play with an air cooled car for a while.

And I'm not overly sensitive!! Just didn't want to be the new guy and piss someone off by posting where I wasn't supposed to smile.gif

I'll see Nadine in Dallas Friday right?
naro914
Hey Brent!
Welcome to the 914 craziness... what the heck are you thinking??? A 914? Only crazy people buy these things. screwy.gif

Oh, and as you probably know, I am totally against modified 914. Bone stock they should be, I say...no mods...ever. Blasphemy!!! smash.gif

Didn't know about the 13...sorry to hear... what did you do?? confused24.gif

No, Nadine's not able to make it. She's working through the weekend...system roll out at her client. Hazards of the job, but at least it pays well....

Seriously, any help you need with the 914 stuff, do not hesitate to ask...either email me directly or just post on here. There are a lot of really good people on this board that can help a lot....great resource!!

Oh, and
welcome.png

(PS Everyone...yes he's a bit sensitive...be nice to him... smile.gif )
MikeSpraggi

Probably, most of our cars are modified in one sense or another. I think the yellow spyder above is beautiful.
MikeSpraggi

Oh yeah, welcome.png Brent.

Glad you made it home, that is to the world!
f1rocks
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 14 2014, 05:38 PM) *

Didn't know about the 13...sorry to hear... what did you do?? confused24.gif

(PS Everyone...yes he's a bit sensitive...be nice to him... smile.gif )

Weeeellllll.....Mr. Blazer and I went into 10A two wide at Road Atlanta, I came out ahead, he contacted me behind the rear wheel with his front bumper and I came on the short end of that stick.....

fast forward to Daytona, I went waaaayyyyy deep into T1 and a stinking SP2 parked it going into same said corner, contact #2 so Boeder sent me packing for an extended vacation smile.gif Of course Henderson said that just meant I have more time to be a scrutineer.....grrrrrr.

Everyone else, I'm not that sensitive really I'm not! I am however really looking forward to a new circle of friends. The 944 racing crowd is great, I expect the same out of the 914 crowd. One great thing I see about the 14 crowd is y'all stick around for a long time. Some of the 44 crowd tends to be kids that buy a $1500 car and last about 6 months before they move on to another project. I have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy 944 racing for almost a decade and expect I will do the same with my 14.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.